Gibson Brands Forums

Metallica's new album?

T50

Maybe I'm getting too old for this type of music...

but when I heard this album, it didn't do anything for me.

None of the songs made me want to learn it. They

seem to trying to go back to their older playing style which

is a good thing. But the songs... they were so so.

I like the album quite a bit although I don't get why they did the "dirty" or "gritty" sound thing in some songs. I never understood St. Anger...still working on that one...

Metallica set the bar so high for themselves and have such a wide audience that they cannot make everybody happy these days. I commend them for just doing whatever the hell they want.

Some of the negative reviews I have read on the new album crack me up...when Master of Puppets came out it was critized and now it's one of their best albums?

I am really happy these guys survived the 90's, a bad time for good ol' metal.

Between Iron Maiden's latest album and Metallica's Death Magnetic I am a happy camper these days...

good album. remember kids, its 2008. thrash metal is dead. MOP was 22 years ago. if you still think another MOP is coming, its time to get over it. as always i commend metallica for doing what THEY want to do instead of what WE think/want them to do. i will say that the more i listen to it, the more i like Death Magnetic...i see it as a good mixture of Justice and Load, with Rick Rubin's Slayer sound mixed in. i would say an 8/10.

as for the learning to play their new songs, for me its just a matter of getting older. when i was a teenager, i was all about the angst ridden metal. i wanted an esp explorer SOOOOOO bad. i wanted a Mesa Mark amp SOOOOOOO bad. im 27 and what do i use? a Gibson Les Paul with PAF clones, a Fender HRD and an overdrive pedal. i still enjoy Metallica, new and old. but i prefer to play Jimmy Page.

I love the new album and ive always loved metallica, but i dont play metallica i play like clapton and page. and people should give james a brake with his vocals,he is a 45 year old guy and he's been screamin' for around 26 years and he's expected to sing like he did 22 years ago. none the less papa het is amaizing

Well, I didn't expect another MOP or S&D although that would be nice. :)

I just wanted to hear a new song that would make me want to pick up a

guitar and play. So far, none of them works. I'll give it a few more tries.

:)

I think they are trying to make it according to some sort of formula, some songs just don't flow, there seems to be solo bits and slow parts just stuck in for the sake of having them there I think. Each song is also at least 1-2 minutes too long in my opinion. By the time you get half way through you can't remember how the song started.

I was a bg metallica fan, but I just gave up listening to them after the last couple of albums.

The lyrics are a bit naff, but some of the stuff is catchy, I can see where some of the masters comparisons are the way the song are composed. But there is still a little bit too much of the last few albums hanging around in there. I got worried when I saw a song titled 'unforgiven 3'...kind of smacks of a band that have gown out of ideas a bit...

some of the solos are a bit 80s hair bandesque too I think..ok thats my opinion. I know this will grow on me more and i'll completely change my opinion in a months time...it must be a grower, I woke up humming some of the riffs the other day.

Still, good to have something new and guitar heavy to listen to I guess.

• 2 years later...

I got excited, I thought there would be a new album coming out.

Death Magnetic rules, I have been a Metallica fan from the beginning and always will be.

89157fa7.jpg

you my friend are very cool! [thumbup]

I think it's their best record since Master. That said... I'm not sure I will ever forgive them for pulling Robert out of Infectious Grooves which is a far superior and more interesting band.

Can you actually hear the bass on vinyl?

My opinion is that the time after Cliff Burton has been a slow downfall for Metallica. The best album was Master Of Puppets and the last good album was the"black" album. After that I lost my intrest in that band. Although Death Magnetic was a sign of better direction, but still I found it quite idealess... those songs don't stuck in head, no matter what. If I think something else like Exodus and their Tempo Of The Damned album for exsample. Play the record once and then the songs are stuck in your head for a while (especially Blacklist) ;). Many other old thrash bands make all the time better songs than before, record after record.. and on the other hand there are many new promising thrash bands growing too.

Here comes quite fresh power msp_thumbup.gif:

and one more

In general depends how the record is mastered and cut.

In the Death Magnetic special edition I posted above yes, you can.

5 180-gram vinyls, one song per side, 45 RPMs, plenty of space for bass.

If you can't hear it it's because ain't there.

something smells like...........old thread.....

I saw the title and figured it had to be old...Metallica does not sneeze without me knowing aboot it.

Thrash isn't dead per say....maybe just evolved. Music has a tendency to do that.

I think it's their best record since Master. That said... I'm not sure I will ever forgive them for pulling Robert out of Infectious Grooves which is a far superior and more interesting band.

Rob is a friend of mine... He was playing bass for me when I had my studio in LA, way before Infectious Grooves, was always an amazing player...

He's the greatest rock and roll bass player alive today. I worry that his talent will be lost in Metallica. Especially if they treat him like they did Jason and cut him so far out of the mix you can't hear him. They would have been better served with Barry Sparks.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this type of music...

but when I heard this album, it didn't do anything for me.

None of the songs made me want to learn it. They

seem to trying to go back to their older playing style which

is a good thing. But the songs... they were so so.

I bought the album, oops, CD and it took more than 1 listen to appreciate it as some albums, oops CDs do.

Archived