Gibson Brands Forums

Groomsman Gift ideas

Artie Owl

So like the poll says I'm trying to decide on groomsman gifts for my wedding next year, since it's one of the few responsibilites I have for the wedding.

I personally (though I don't smoke) like the idea of giving quality wooden tobacco pipes, since they've got a timeless quality to them.

Though since I don't smoke (they don't either) I've been suggested to that maybe there's an alternative to my original idea. Harmonica's are cool because they have a timeless quality also, from stories from the trenches of WWI and on, it was portable music, which we can all appreciate.

I really don't want to do the engvaved beer stein, coasters, cufflinks, mugs, pocket knives, letter openers, poker sets, and pretty much anything you find at an everyday gift shop/engrave place.

Anybody have any ideas, or gifts they received they really liked?

I like the idea of the harmonica.

I received a stein once too. I still use it but for holding pens and pencils.

Try to keep away from anything with too many moving parts. They will end up in a drawer for some years and then get tossed.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I received a fantastic gift when I was a best man. A cigar tube and a matching flask in a leather case, the cigar tube was loaded with an aged Cuban Cohiba Siglo VI but you can substitute as you see fit.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

We still don't get real Cubans in Americur, so it'd be a waste.

rct

There's some perfectly reasonable, hand rolled cigars comming out of Honduras, Dominican Republic, and others. People must smoke cigars over there?

My best man, usher, and the person who officiated the wedding all got Apple gift certificates. All four of us are Apple geeks so it worked out really well. Guys just aren't into sentimental gifts. We like practical. When I stood up in my sister's wedding I got an engraved scotch glass. Pretty classy and very practical.

My Favorite as well was a small high quality silver flask that had just the word Thanks and the date engraved on the side, It was full of a very good Scotch when my buddy handed it to me. The wedding was in Hawaii so everything was pretty casual but my friend knew I wasn't really into the sweet Hawaiian style drinks being served so the flask came in very handy. It's been 20+ years now and I still use it on a regular basis and it's still usually filled with Scotch.

I also was given a small engraved ipod nano after a nephews wedding a couple years ago they had sent them out to the parents and godparents and a few very close friends and relatives a few weeks after the wedding - it was loaded with all the music, photo's and even video's from the wedding and the reception. It was a really cute idea and a cool memorabilia with their names and the dates engraved on the back

I think what I could do also is look for indiviudal presents that best represent each person.

One of my groomsmen would appreciate this I think;

e543_olde_tyme_writing_set_parts.jpg

I've got until June next year but you know how these things sneak up on you, like your cars safety inspection it's always right around the corner.

I gave mine a bracelet with their names on them. Comes in handy when they get liquored up and forget their name lol......

You could also personalize it to the individual. Get each of them something that they might like on a personal level. Keep it in the same price range though, guys do become drama queens lol

Hmm I was gonna say hookers and blow...lol

A Leatherman or pocket knife would be a good gift - unless there flying it would suck to have the TSA seize the gifts before they even get home.

Another cool gift Ive seen used as a grooms gift is the Brunton gentleman's compass engraved with the date. There really well made and can be engraved with the date. I have an original D.W. Brunton compass that my grandfather gave me when I graduated from high school. The new model looks almost the same and would be something that could last a lifetime.

Since you've already panned the pocket knife how about a Zippo barbecue tool set?

http://www.inkhead.com/zippo-bbq-set/13604/

The church key/fork half hooks to the spatual/knife/bottle opener half to make tongs. These are way cool. Kind of spendy, but it comes with a Zippo wind proof lighter for firing up the grill.

Zippo's website does not show this item. I did find it here:

http://www.leedsworld.com/clearance/item/?item=9992-32TG

This site appears to be a liquidator. The price is great for just the tongs. It appears Zippo has discontinued this item.

I'm sure you could find someone local to engrave if you want... or not.

Thanks for the replies guys I really apprecaite it! From what I've gathered here and by guys I work with most of them don't use the gift after the wedding anyway, so I decided to think down to what the three of us are into (which as a common ground among us is video games)

I've decided to go with life sized replica shields from a favourite video game of ours, which fits the bill, it's both nerdy AND doesn't require batteries.

Hylian%20Shield_1.jpg

Might make for some funny pre-wedding pictures, and looks good hanging in a man cave.

Archived