Gibson Brands Forums

Tonal quality of my unplugged Hofner bass

duane v

I've been working on Oh Darling and I find when I'm working out Beatles tunes I don't need to plug in the bass [thumbup] ... It's very warn and pronounced

I thought maybe it was me being bias but I recorded a little bass progression of Oh Darling and my ears seem to be hearing what the Iphone recorded

Try the rotosound black nylon strings, they really wake up the bass

I've got guys that call me Mr. Nylon, because I use D'Addario Nylons on my Fender Jazz. I'm glad you like those Nylons on you Hofner.

yes that was very pronounced! Great clip too. Those bass lines of Paul's are really something aren't they?! [thumbup]

Matt

Interesting that you would bring this up:

I can sing and play guitar very fluently, but since I've started playing bass for this Beatles tribute band. I have been surprised at the little challenges I been working through just to be as fluent while singing and playing bass [confused].... It's definitely a different approach

Though I have always had an appreciation for lead singers that play bass, my appreciation has grown deeper, because it's not that easy.

Interesting that you would bring this up:

I can sing and play guitar very fluently, but since I've started playing bass for this Beatles tribute band. I have been surprised at the little challenges I been working through just to be as fluent while singing and playing bass [confused].... It's definitely a different approach

Though I have always had an appreciation for lead singers that play bass, my appreciation has grown deeper, because it's not that easy.

You're right D. My brother in law is a terrific bassist and pretty good singer but really struggles when asked to do both at the same time.

You're right D. My brother in law is a terrific bassist and pretty good singer but really struggles when asked to do both at the same time.

As a bass player (as you know) you also have to center in on what the drummer is doing as well...

I've found while chewing gum to the beat of the drummer helps me focus on all three parts (Drums, Vocals and playing bass) in the same area.... Ya I drool a little more on the mic when singing because of the gum chewing. But I'm thinking in about month or so I wont need to chew gum anymore [biggrin]

One thing that really dazzled me about Paul's playing is how he could play all these complicated bass lines and sing along without fooling up his timing or going off key the slightest bit.How he can play the rapid-fire bass run from "I Saw Her Standing There" and not make a balls of singing it astounds me.

They were so tight...The Beatles were such a great vocal group with strong harmonies they did not always require the melody to be carried by a instrument, this allowed them to use each instrument to add dynamic accent to the song. I think Sergeant Peppers is one of, if not the best rock albums ever. One of the little intricacies of The Beatles from Revolver on is they often use Paul's bass to carry the melody. Remember he started out playing guitar with John and didn't switch to bass until 1961 when Stu Sutcliffe left the band, so his approach to bass was as a guitarist.

Most bassist in three or four piece bands form a unit with the drummer to produce the rhythm section, but listen close to the Fab Four and when there is no piano, Paul is supporting the melody line and using his picking fingers to emphasize the beat, Lennon syncopates with Ringo and Harrison ties it together when not doing the solo. A good example is Getting Better,

That was a great job Duane. I'd love to come and hear your band sometime as I am a Beatles fanatic. The Hofner sounds fantastic. That's a hard song to sing too, made Paul hoarse at the end of it.

One of my favorites of Paul's was Your Mother Should Know at the beginning. And then there was his bass part on "Something". Very innovative. At first I thought he was jelous of George and even made a bit of fun of him when I saw Paul in 2002 by playing it on the ukulele. I've seen him since and I don't think he thinks that.

Great points Jaxson.

Archived