Gibson Brands Forums

Henry J talks to the UK on the BBC

rct

I like how he said ; " I studied the business for over a hundred years. "

He only looks about 60....Too bad he didn't bring a guitar to play on the show.....

A bit down the page is the same clip........[scared] :unsure: ..

If I ran Gibson, I'd have brought a guitar to the interview to play........

Henry didn't bring a guitar to the interview........hmmm....

I was very glad to learn that Gibsons are very affordable to the working person.......I was not aware of this fact.....

I do need a couple more Gibbys in my stable though.......We all do....

Thanks for the link Searcy that was great [thumbup]

I knew we were music mad in the uk; but that figure still was rather a large amount to be spending on gear when you consider our population size...£165 million!! [scared]

I have said this in the acoustic forum, but in schools the guitar, by quite a stretch, is the most subscribed instrument. I would imagine it is the same all over; but certainly in the South East kids especially are guitar mad!!

Matt

I dunno...

I think you guys are being too hard on HenryJ.

He's most likely pretty much like a lot of people who play guitar and occasionally get on stage as adults after playing in a group in his youth.

Ever played on live television? It was the most stage-frighty thing I've ever done.

He's a guy who still plays guitar just for personal use and is not a full-time performer. Sheesh. Would "we" be so hard on a guy his age who is a computer hardware tech or school math teacher who mostly plays for fun at home after being in a college rock band 30 years ago?

He said he studied guitar sales for 100 years and in the great depression - before he was born obviously - guitar sales were good. Made sense to me.

I guess I find it difficult to understand the anti-HenryJ thing. I doubt seriously he walks on water unless the temperature is under 32 degrees F, but gee... I hope none of you are that critical of me. Criticize guitars you don't care for. Heck, I don't care for the LP. But being nasty to the guy who runs the company that sells a very large variety of guitars for a large variety of tastes, and who actually plays some guitar is something I don't understand.

m

That's about how I see it Milod. Henry has done a good job since he took over. If he hadn't bought it it would not be around today. Idont agree with every thing hehas done but I'm sure glad he recognized the history and potential of Gibson and saved it from the fate that other once great names like Gretsch have suffered.

That's about how I see it Milod. Henry has done a good job since he took over. If he hadn't bought it it would not be around today. Idont agree with every thing hehas done but I'm sure glad he recognized the history and potential of Gibson and saved it from the fate that other once great names like Gretsch have suffered.

I couldn't agree more. [thumbup] I don't understand all the dumping on he gets.

Same here. I for one am very glad that Both of the Great American Electric Guitar Companies still exist and still make guitars for me. I don't care about the guy, long as he keeps the company where it should be, and if not him, I don't care who else, just do it.

rct

I am assuming the fate you think they have "suffered" was their high end guitars being made in Japan (and their more affordable Guitars made in Korea)? That may be sad for some people; I am guessing Americans? but on the quality side of things their professional line of guitars that are made in Japan, are not only wonderful instruments, but many people (myself include), think the modern White Falcons, 6120s, Country Gentlemen etc haven't been so good since the 60's. Brian Setzer has actually said the Playability of the modern 6120s in some cases, is better than some of his older MIA models [thumbup]

Matt

Matt...

I think the point is whether, and how, a guitar company actually is focused on making guitars.

There's a degree of nationalism involved, but there's no question in my mind that Gibson and Fender both are in far better condition than in the 1970s, for example.

Gibson, especially, IMHO is a bit more on the innovation side.

Gretsch... well, a Chinese copy of a 1950s-60s guitar that is excellently made is not at all bad - but who's the company? Who's looking at a bit of innovation along the same lines of guitar concept compared, especially, to Gibson and Martin? I don't think Fender even can match that in conceptual terms. They're basically just moving pickups and necks around.

So... don't get me wrong, I think Gibson's Epiphone line, at least, is offering some exceptional values in what remain largely "Gibson concept" guitars made overseas.

And as an old guy, I think the overall build quality of guitars in today's marketplace is far better than it was in the 1950s and 1960s...

m

I am assuming the fate you think they have suffered was their high end guitars being made in Japan (and their more affordable Guitars made in Korea) ? That may be sad for some people; I am guessing Americans; but on the quality side of things their professional series made in Japan guitars not only wonderful instruments, but many people, myself include, think the modern White Falcons, 6120s, Country Gentlemen etc haven't been so good since the 60's. Brian Setzer has actually said the Playability of the modern 6120s in some cases is better than his older MIA models.

Matt

I may or may not agree with you Matthew, but I have zero experience with Gretsch guitars. Just never did anything for me. But I will say that I don't care how high quality it is, with all due respect to you and all the other Limes*, you wouldn't like it if all the tea in your country was made in my basement in NJ. First Flush Makiabari should come from India, I don't care how good I make it.

And my condolences on the loss of one of the (stupid) greatest "news"papers EVER. Used to read it daily when I lived in Bermuda, and had lots of Page 7s hanging about.

rct

*See, I said all due respect and then used what appears to most Yanks to be the slag at the English, Lime. Funny, no? Gawd I hope so. If not, my deepest apologies to you and all the other Limes. I still exchange letters with your countrymen that I open with Dear F***ing Fat Git Lime, and they are fine with it. So I have cred. Ask around. Except the Scot. Dear Cheapest B***ard On The Planet, that's how I salutate him.

Lol

I don't drink tea, so may not be correct in this, but I am pretty sure the major brands of tea are run by Asian companies anyway? Maybe someone add...

I can tell you that one of our most celebrated confectionary companies Cadburys, was recently bought by an American company. It didn't cause that much of a national fuss to be honest. It was mentioned on 'question time' our weekly debate show and in the papers, but it wasn't considered big news.I think because of the age difference of our respective countries we have a very different view on things like this. I think it is best to leave it at that: otherwise a whole new can of worms opens! Lol

Milo,

I can see your point regarding Gretsch being not as innovative and agree on many points, but it is what it is. And for those of us who aren't concerned in the least what country a guitar is made Fender Japan and Gretsch come up trumps :)

Matt

All I will add to this topic is to say pretty much every modern (2008-on) Strat I've played has been pretty wonderfully made and that includes MIM and, shock horror, even most Squiers.

I've never played a '52-'60 LP but I've played (and owned) plenty of Norlin-on era ones and the modern ones, the re-issues especially, are, in the main, superior instruments.

Modern instruments are very good indeed.

And Gibson lovers in particular have to thank Henry for the amount of work he put in to save the whole shebang.

P.

Lol

I don't drink tea, so may not be correct in this, but I am pretty sure the major brands of tea are run by Asian companies anyway? Maybe someone add...

Yes. But the tea itself, thought of as a guitar. Ok, you don't drink tea.

Guinness. If I made the best black and tan EVER in my basement in NJ, highest quality you EVER had, and Guinness rolled over and walked out, it just wouldn't be right. A Guinness HAS to come from there, right? Tennants?? They still have that? XX Ale I used to get, Scottish beer, little black cans in the 80's.

eh. Anyway, bordeaux not from across the chunnel, no matter HOW good, now matter HOW high quality, if it ain't from there it ain't bordeaux. Think? Or not.

I can tell you that one of our most celebrated confectionary companies Cadburys, was recently bought by an American company. It didn't cause that much of a national fuss to be honest. It was mentioned on 'question time' our weekly debate show and in the papers, but it wasn't considered big news.I think because of the age difference of our respective countries we have a very different view on things like this. I think it is best to leave it at that: otherwise a whole new can of worms opens! Lol

Yes, but we'd need something inherently British, something really Marks & Spencer, something you take so literally for granted that the thought of it moving out of your country would be maddening. Say, Fender, or Gibson to us. CFMartin. And I don't have an example but I'm thinking. Austin Mini? Didn't it bother you to lose Jaguar? That idea of something made here suddenly goes somewhere else but keeps the name. And only because of cost to the maker, not for any other reason.

rct

Monty Python. If I started a really high quality Cleese-alike and Palin-alike bunch that was superb quality well made comedy, it still wouldn't be A Day In The Life Of A Stock Broker funny. Period. I'm talkin late 60's early 70's Python, the real thing, that inherently British funny stuff. At least, to us it was.

Picture moving that to NJ, still calling it MPFC, still having the music open it with the animation, ITs, all of it. It wouldn't be right. I think that is what a lot of times is the deal for people regarding FMIC and Gibson and other companies that have left here. I don't doubt the quality of any of the stuff, I don't have any problem with any of it, but it just...ain't...quite...right.

rct

All I will add to this topic is to say pretty much every modern (2008-on) Strat I've played has been pretty wonderfully made and that includes MIM and, shock horror, even most Squiers.

P.

To my mind, the high quality of the budget instruments is Fender's fundemental problem. The MIM Strats, and even some of the Squiers are excellent value for money. There simply isn't enough difference,IMO, between these models and the MIA versions to justify the price difference. I'm not saying that Fender America needs to step up its game, I'm not sure how much better you can make a Strat than they currently do. The truth is more that the much decried "modern" techniques of guitar making actually produce a very good instrument as a very reasonable price,without needing much skilled labor. Quality instruments are perhaps the cheapest in real terms that they have ever been. Some people (myself included) will still pay a premium for an American Made instruments, but this is an ideological, rather than a practicial decision. I just dont know if this will be enough to sustain American guitar manufacturing.

And my condolences on the loss of one of the (stupid) greatest "news"papers EVER. Used to read it daily when I lived in Bermuda, and had lots of Page 7s hanging about.

rct

Mrs informs me that we got NOTW and The Sun, and that it was Page Three of The Sun I am thinking of, not Page 7 of NOTW. I apologize to everyone at The Sun.

rct

Hmmm,

Maybe the other British guys are best to ask, to get across section of answers, but personally speaking I am quite fatalistic about many things to do with business decisions.

Yes I am patriotic in many ways; for example, I will always support the English football team, despite the non stop failures!! LOL (I have to laugh or I'd cry), I am also proud of all the music and literature the county has produced (and continues to produce), but deep down when I look at all the planets and think of all the mish mash of DNA that makes us, I know truly that nationalism is meaningless. People are just people...

Matt

Matt! Americans aren't happy unless they are complaining about their country/other counrties!!

LMAO,

Sit in many a British bar and there are people that make careers out of getting drunk night after night and putting the world to rights! Complaining it seems is another similarity! :)

Matt

Archived