Gibson Brands Forums

Whicj One

J45

Guys I'm having trouble trying to make up my mind between a J45 custom & a Songwriter Deluxe. Haven't played either yet but GC isn't too far away. I've heard alot of QC problems with the J45 but nothing but good about the Songwriter. Need the most versatile one I guess. Strum & fingertyle. Play mostly soft rock & some blues. Help me out here..

Screw everything you have heard, just drive to GC and play both. Once you get your hands on the guitars and hear how they sound, everything that everyone else has said won't mean a thing. The only thing that matters is how the guitars sound and feel when you are playing them. Whether or not there are QC issues in, say, 10% of J-45s (which I think is way too high a number, BTW), doesn't matter if the one in your hands is a great guitar. Just try as many of each as you can and pick the guitar that speaks to you.

As far a versatility, I find J-45s to be very versatile guitars. Great for both strumming and fingerpicking. I do both on mine. My experience with the SWD is very limited. I think it is a great guitar, though I suspect it is less versatile than the J-45, but again, this is based on very limited experience.

With all of these supposed quality control problems you mention, why would you even consider a J45? And why would you ask Gibson owners?---people who buy obviously flawed guitars?

Never said they were flawed guitars just a few bad apples. Go over to Harmony Central or AGF & read about them.

Never said they were flawed guitars just a few bad apples. Go over to Harmony Central or AGF & read about them.

For what it is worth, reading Harmony central is pretty much the best way to get your head full of rumors and info that more often then not does not apply to KNOWING anything.

I would be a hippocrit to comment on AGF, but I have heard similer things about taking that site for gospel as well.

Good advise by SILVER: go play them. If and when you take someones advise (on any site) it only means anything if they know you and you know them, and there is communication between, and you understand and KNOW the source. Advice from a stranger is fine, but only is worth anything if you know where they get the info they are telling you.

J45- I have a J45 Custom and have been nothing but overjoyed I got it. I researched the Songwriter and am fortunate enough to be close to Bozeman and get to play (pretty much) which ever guitar I am interested in. And even some I am not interested in. They are both fine instruments and like has been said before play them. I have no idea how anyone can justify spending the kind of money on one of the higher end acoustics without playing it first. Everyone is different. Just my .02.

With all of these supposed quality control problems you mention, why would you even consider a J45? And why would you ask Gibson owners?---people who buy obviously flawed guitars?

Amen!!

We buy flawed guitars because we are all flawed. Bring me more of those flawed Gibsons! Who needs perfection?

Honestly, I often buy guitars because of their quirks, not in spite of them. I have a thing for odd-ball orphans of the guitar variety....as long as they play well.

Every time I pick up an old guitar, I get a rush even before playing it. I assume it has old strings and will sound funky. I'm looking for basic structural integrity, playability, and a unique voice. You're more likely to find that with a Gibson--new or old--than most others.

Good guitars are like babies: when they're brand new, they sound pretty similar, but they have a lot of different possibilities to develop. It's what they're like when they become grown-ups that really counts.

Archived