Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD - A Walk on the wild side! Part 2!

Well as you may know I recently found out about the Ltd Edition Custom Shop model and here she is...

This is a Alpine White 1958 Flying V [thumbup] (Made in DaeWon / Unsung March 2011 Unit #861)

SDC11507.jpg

SDC11508.jpg

SDC11509.jpg

SDC11510.jpg

SDC11511.jpg

SDC11512.jpg

I plan once the parts arrive to fit

# Gibson Burstbucker Pro 1 & 2's

# Gibson Pots

# Gibson SG Capacitors

# Gibson Deluxe Tuners

# Switch Craft Toggle & Jack

Essentially a Gibson refit like my "Gary Moore" Les Paul

From what I can gather this is a VERY LIMITED run model and apart from Ishibashi & Amazon USA no one is promoting it not even Epiphone!

To get this model I contacted Epiphone directly via Dawsons and it arrived in 11 days from Denmark! (The SG took a month...)

SDC11512.jpg

# Gibson Pots

# Gibson SG Capacitors

# Gibson Deluxe Tuners

I think the tuners that are already on it look killer. They seem to match up well with the pickguard and the ring around the output jack. Does it not stay in tune well or do you just want to be able to say that it has Gibson tuners on it? Anyway, congrats on the new axe, that's one of the nicest looking Epi V's i have seen.

I think the tuners that are already on it look killer. They seem to match up well with the pickguard and the ring around the output jack. Does it not stay in tune well or do you just want to be able to say that it has Gibson tuners on it? Anyway, congrats on the new axe, that's one of the nicest looking Epi V's i have seen.

I found that Gibson Tuners hold in tune alot longer than epiphone ones, its not to say its always the case tho...

I'm happy with the bridge hence why thats staying on

Needless to say the parts will be given a new home so PM me if you wanna reserve any of it...

I personally love the thing! its hard to play sitting tho but thats not the point of a V!

Congrats Snakey, lovely looking V, didn't take long to get it, HNGD. I didn't know Gibson made pots and caps, you learn something new every day.

Thanks [biggrin]

Yeah the Pots have HUGE "Gibson" logs on the back of them

not sure on the capacitors tho, but the harness all came from a 1999 Gibson SG

Looks a total cracker, SS! [thumbup]

Burstbuckers, though???????

Surely ceramic 496R/500Ts. How hot are BB Pros?

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF2vAoUOBCA

Im a blues style player so these suit me best. They have a nice mellow tone as you can see closely matches the PAF's in a les paul 59 BUT can cope with the welly when needed.

These are the most expensive pickups Gibson do! at £100 a pop! (I paid £46 each [biggrin] )

I didn't know Gibson made pots and caps, you learn something new every day.

Yeah the Pots have HUGE "Gibson" logs on the back of them

I believe that they're made for Gibson with the logo on the back by CTS (You know, so they can charge more for them.) I got some cheap and put them in my (now broken) Les Paul Custom. They seemed to be high quality, but one of them ceased to function correctly. (To be fair that could happen to any electronic component. Some times you just get a bad one.) I personally wouldn't pay extra to have the Gibson branded pots, but if you can get them cheaper or for about the same price as CTS, go for it. Also, I think Gibson uses polyester-film capacitors. These are fairly easy to source, so don't pay a premium for the Gibson branding, but if they're cheap or you've got them lying around, go for it.

It's a pretty cool guitar you've got there. (If it were mine, I'd put a black pick-guard and jack-plate on it. [thumbup]) I quite enjoy the black one I picked up about a month ago.

I believe that they're made for Gibson with the logo on the back by CTS (You know, so they can charge more for them.) I got some cheap and put them in my (now broken) Les Paul Custom. They seemed to be high quality, but one of them ceased to function correctly. (To be fair that could happen to any electronic component. Some times you just get a bad one.) I personally wouldn't pay extra to have the Gibson branded pots, but if you can get them cheaper or for about the same price as CTS, go for it. Also, I think Gibson uses polyester-film capacitors. These are fairly easy to source, so don't pay a premium for the Gibson branding, but if they're cheap or you've got them lying around, go for it.

It's a pretty cool guitar you've got there. (If it were mine, I'd put a black pick-guard and jack-plate on it. [thumbup]) I quite enjoy the black one I picked up about a month ago.

The whole harness with switch craft cost me $32.51! [thumbup]

Dont't plan to do a "Negative" look I like it all white & gold, its part of the reason I've been after this one...

HNGD!!! I love it!

I was told by a guy who owns Modern Music (shop in cornwall) they dont label their pots with Gibson, only with small numbers that match up to their database or something similar, to stop control of copied pots (also if they are installed into gibsons the numbers match up to the model of guitar, again to stop copies.

The whole harness with switch craft cost me $32.51! [thumbup]

Good deal! [cool] But tell me, you actually prefer the weird 300K pots that they put in Gibsons stock? What do you like better about them? How do you feel they effect your sound?

I was told by a guy who owns Modern Music (shop in cornwall) they dont label their pots with Gibson, only with small numbers that match up to their database or something similar, to stop control of copied pots (also if they are installed into gibsons the numbers match up to the model of guitar, again to stop copies.

And that's why you don't listen to "a guy who owns Modern Music". CTS used to stamp a code on the back that could be decoded to reveal the pot's date of manufacture (kind of like Epi serial numbers), but I'm pretty sure they stopped that in the 80's, because everytime I've bought new CTS pots they say "CTS" on the back along with the value and the taper.

If they had a database of every pot they've ever made it would probably have to be stored on some kind of CIA-caliber super-computer because of the massive number of pots manufactured over the years. The guy you talked to saw some numbers on the back of a pot and didn't know what they meant, so he made something up to look smart. And, as far as I know, no one has had real problems with fake CTS pots. So that doesn't make any sense either. Not saying fake CTS pots don't exist, (f***ing fake D'Addario strings [angry] ) but it would be like minting fake nickels, because real CTS pots are so easy to find.

The pots that come in Gibson guitars currently simply have a giant Gibson logo on the back of them and are usually 300K. I'm reasonably sure (99.999999999999997%) they are CTS made, because they are otherwise identical.

Well as you may know I recently found out about the Ltd Edition Custom Shop model and here she is...

This is a Alpine White 1958 Flying V [thumbup] (Made in DaeWon / Unsung March 2011 Unit #861)

SDC11507.jpg

SDC11508.jpg

SDC11509.jpg

SDC11510.jpg

SDC11511.jpg

SDC11512.jpg

# Gibson Pots

# Gibson SG Capacitors

# Gibson Deluxe Tuners

Essentially a Gibson refit like my "Gary Moore" Les Paul

From what I can gather this is a VERY LIMITED run model and apart from Ishibashi & Amazon USA no one is promoting it not even Epiphone!

To get this model I contacted Epiphone directly via Dawsons and it arrived in 11 days from Denmark! (The SG took a month...)

gorgeous looking V. I'm imagining a perloid scratchplate with gold Grovers.

Got to agree with the BB's. If their good enough for Joe... [thumbup]

Good deal! [cool] But tell me, you actually prefer the weird 300K pots that they put in Gibsons stock? What do you like better about them? How do you feel they effect your sound?

And that's why you don't listen to "a guy who owns Modern Music". CTS used to stamp a code on the back that could be decoded to reveal the pot's date of manufacture (kind of like Epi serial numbers), but I'm pretty sure they stopped that in the 80's, because everytime I've bought new CTS pots they say "CTS" on the back along with the value and the taper.

If they had a database of every pot they've ever made it would probably have to be stored on some kind of CIA-caliber super-computer because of the massive number of pots manufactured over the years. The guy you talked to saw some numbers on the back of a pot and didn't know what they meant, so he made something up to look smart. And, as far as I know, no one has had real problems with fake CTS pots. So that doesn't make any sense either. Not saying fake CTS pots don't exist, (f***ing fake D'Addario strings [angry] ) but it would be like minting fake nickels, because real CTS pots are so easy to find.

The pots that come in Gibson guitars currently simply have a giant Gibson logo on the back of them and are usually 300K. I'm reasonably sure (99.999999999999997%) they are CTS made, because they are otherwise identical.

Thanks for clarifying that up for me.

Archived