Gibson Brands Forums

singing

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

I would love to sing but I can only carry a tune in my falsetto voice which doesn't suit the delta blues / Chicago blues that I play.

I'd make a great choir boy. I can also hold a tune very low but with no gravel in my voice and a vocal tone that is very mid-ish that doesn't sound right either. You'd think there'd be some gravel in my voice after 20+ years of smoking.

Is it possible to learn to sing in the keys above my low range. I can hum and find a note so its not like my vocal chords can't hit it, I just have no control.

The key is to control the diaphragm and steadily widen the range upwards from a comfortable mid point

This tones the vocal chords...most problems originate in wasteage of air and inability to hold a note for very long

The best approach is to book a few sessions with a vocal coach...it is their job to encourage and mentor the nervous beginner

Also learning a wind instrument, however simple, will automatically improve breath control...recorder, tin whistle, flute, sax etc....

A lot of it comes down to practice...being prepared to sing every day and remain positive....

V

:-({|=

IMO Farnsbarns, many musicians who claim to not be able to sing, actually can......It is a pain to be a good guitarist, and to not

have a good vocal range.......Eddie Vedder is a good example of a baritone with a limited range; although he can throw in some screaming as well...

I sing on many of my own recordings out of necessity....It usually works....As mentioned above, vocal range and quality can be trained, but

acceptance should come first......After all, Bob Dylan STILL can't sing (well), and sells records.......Flight959 doesn't consider himself a singer per se,

and he sounds good, as does Searcy.....( I do have others sing on my songs as well )......Just some thoughts....

The key is being able to transfer from your chest voice to your head voice without making it obvious... Breathing is very important, but I was lucky enough to have played trumpet for 30 years, so I was taught at an early age to breathe and support properly.

The mistakes I hear with young singers is they feel they need to sing loud to add energy to the tone, and that is so untrue. A singer should be able to maintain the same tonal quality's singing pp to fff

Two words - voice lessons.

A good vocal instructor will help you with technique, which will help your range and finding your voice. The fact that you already play an instrument will make singing easier since you'll have some ear training and a visual idea of what a whole and half step are, what thirds are, etc.

This thread brings up a question from me, how do I sing and play at the same time? It seems whenever I try my timing on the guitar screws up, or my vocal timing, but usually both.

I always approached it like drumming: Try to put the more repetitive, mechanical stuff on auto pilot so you can focus on the harder stuff. For me, I automate the guitar playing and focus on singing in time and in tune.

This thread brings up a question from me, how do I sing and play at the same time? It seems whenever I try my timing on the guitar screws up, or my vocal timing, but usually both.

Learn your guitar parts down pat, seriously know them like the back of your hand (or the front of your hand if you are into that). I find singing hard, and I'm not gonna win any awards for my guitar playing, but its just a lot of practice.

EDIT: Damn Evol beat me to it...

There is also vocal modeling software out there too. I think by Antares and hardware for live performances by TC electronics. They claim to give you the raspy voice even if you don't have it.

There is also vocal modeling software out there too. I think by Antares and hardware for live performances by TC electronics. They claim to give you the raspy voice even if you don't have it.

Or get a Shure Green Bullet mic, plug it into a small amp, rip that baby all the way up, then mic that. Sounds wicked

I'm not some great singer but I think my strongest vocal attribute is that I'm not afraid of the microphone. I started off singing in the first band I was in when I was 13 only because I was the only one not afraid of the mic. After a while we got a real singer and I dropped back into just playing bass. About three years ago I decided I wanted to work on my singing again so I just started pickup tracks and covering them.

Right now I'm working on one that should really be tricky. It's "Stay Together" by Al Green. Talk about testing your ability to go from chest to head with out sounding stupid... I hope it doesnt suck...

I was like that when I first started to play acoustic music. I tried to sing right away, but I screwed up.

Perfect, or at least memorize the guitar part. then perfect the vocal part, do it in which ever order suits

you the best. then practice them together, until you start to look like some sort of bionicle that can do everything! [flapper]

I was like that when I first started to play acoustic music. I tried to sing right away, but I screwed up.

Perfect, or at least memorize the guitar part. then perfect the vocal part, do it in which ever order suits

you the best. then practice them together, until you start to look like some sort of bionicle that can do everything! [flapper]

Dude, you've been playing with too many toys. [biggrin]

Okay, I think I have a horrid voice and always have had. Sometimes when I'm "loose" in the head I have a bit of range, but sometimes... the bod works against it.

So... I've given up trying to sing and instead just to sing. It's still likely lousy, but it's me.

As for rhythm picking and singing... Try just talking the song with the timing.

m

Okay, I think I have a horrid voice and always have had. Sometimes when I'm "loose" in the head I have a bit of range, but sometimes... the bod works against it.

So... I've given up trying to sing and instead just to sing. It's still likely lousy, but it's me.

As for rhythm picking and singing... Try just talking the song with the timing.

m

Milo... I can sing...and I do sing....it just sounds like crud! (but that doesn't stop me!)

I actually got to see Andy Devine close-up once. He and Guy Madison were in the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo Parade the summer of '53. I wasn't all that old at the time, obviously - I also got a new hat on the trip - but I do remember it and Guy Madison's ap.

m

Until you get to the point you can play chords without focusing on the fret-board, singing while playing will be difficult. I received good advice from a fellow when I was 12 years old, and that was to practice the guitar in the dark..... After six months I was able to play chords without looking at the fretboard

Until you get to the point you can play chords without focusing on the fret-board, singing while playing will be difficult. I received good advice from a fellow when I was 12 years old, and that was to practice the guitar in the dark..... After six months I was able to play chords without looking at the fretboard

But what if I get scared? [crying]

But thanks, I'll start doing this.

Archived