Gibson Brands Forums

15,000 mile journey

Wadhams!

Well I'm ecstatic to return home from my 12 month deployment at a tiny patrol base in Southern Iraq. I fear ,however, that I may go overboard with my GAS. I should be home at Ft. hood in less than a week if all goes well. My NOS es-137 will be in my arms shortly. I love having deployment money to spend on the things I love. Was it worth the bloodshed and tears? I hope so...

Welcome back, and/or welcome home.................Enjoy your guitars and music, family and friends........

I say feel free to feed your GAS, you deserve it........Welcome to the Gibby Forums....[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

Aye, welcome home safely.

But remember too a bit I just picked up while doing several stories on our local Army National Guard unit that deployed 15 months in 2003-2004 and is again headed away for a year: You've grown, and so also have those you knew before the deployment. Take some time to reintegrate and hear their tales as well as telling your own.

The new guitar - I rather envy your getting your specific choice - may be also an excellent tool for reintegration back home - something with a newness that helps to connect today with yesterday and is a newness held in common with old friends and relatives. It's a wonderful symbol not just for you, but for those who know and care for you.

I hope that makes some sense.

Again too, thank you for your service - and may it be a lifelong experience to make you richer as an individual as it has made the rest of us in guitar-playing cultures richer by your contributions to our security.

BTW, one story I haven't yet written for publication, and may not do so, is a family where in 2003 "Dad" was in Iraq. This time around Dad and two of three sons will be in Afghanistan concurrently; the third son is still in high school and Mom may be returning to school and yet another way of life. I have good feelings about them, though, that all will be stronger a year hence.

m

Archived