Gibson Brands Forums

Carbon Fiber guitar?

dem00n

Guest farnsbarns

They've been around as long as you Dem00n. They actually sound lovely. Strangely they seem to have a lovely woody tone.

I played a few in NYC (acoustics room of the Sam Ash at 156 West 48th Street if you want to check them out, not sure if they're still there). They played quite well and to my memory had a nice mellow/smooth sound!I plan on grabbing myself one of them as soon as I can.

Definitely worth checking out if you can find one.

Guest farnsbarns

In reality isn't wood just carbon fibers anyway?

Well, it is fiberous and it is largely carbon but it is far from being what we call carbon fiber.

I've heard mixed reviews...but I'd love to try one...Would they tend to be a bit brighter then there wooden coutnerparts?

The one I played sounded just about like any wooden guitar, but, seems to project a bit more-

the cool thing is that the necks never warp!

I've never played one, but functionally the Ovation line is pretty much the same with a wood top.

I have two early Ovation AE guitars from the mid 1970s I'll likely keep until I croak. A pretty nice balanced tone they way they're designed, and project well. They also bring back memories of various gigs here and there...

My head nowadays prefers all wood, but I've a hunch that players here today will see an increasing number of decent quality instruments built from synthetic materials of various sorts. Heck, even in the olden days I had a plexiglass solidbody. And boy was it solid. <grin>

m

Guest farnsbarns

I've never played one, but functionally the Ovation line is pretty much the same with a wood top.

I have two early Ovation AE guitars from the mid 1970s I'll likely keep until I croak. A pretty nice balanced tone they way they're designed, and project well. They also bring back memories of various gigs here and there...

My head nowadays prefers all wood, but I've a hunch that players here today will see an increasing number of decent quality instruments built from synthetic materials of various sorts. Heck, even in the olden days I had a plexiglass solidbody. And boy was it solid. <grin>

m

I always thought those Ovations were fiberglass (aka grp or glass reinforced plastic)?

Yup on the new ones. There have been partial uses of various fibers especially since the Ovation.

The thing is there has to be a polymer to hold whatever fibers together, so I'm personally not so sure what difference it makes if it's a variation of fiberglass or kevlar or whatever.

Yeah, the Ovation is a variation of glass. Regardless, a resin of some sort is necessary to bond whatever fiber is used. I'm not naysaying, just saying.

m

Guest BentonC

I played a few of these probably almost a decade ago. Very interesting idea- I'm all for people thinking outside of the box. To my understanding they use a woven carbon-fiber fabric with some type of epoxy material and put it in a mold to shape the guitar out of it.

I remember them as being extremely playable, but the tone was a bit too bright for my tastes (I'm guessing because the finished material is so hard and dense...)

Archived