Gibson Brands Forums

What is the Best Tube Amp under a Grand suitable for a Les Paul

guitarhead

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hot rod deluxe 410 is good too, and it has a master volume control for home-friendly volume levels.

yep they had that one too and it was very similar to the deville 212 (not the 112 as I indicated in my post...typo on that one). It was much deeper, more bass with the 4 10's. I liked the "roundness" of the 2x12 better though.

You mentioned a used Marshal DSL you looked at or is available - that is a "dual super lead" (DSL). Those are very nice amps in my opinion and the ones I tried sounded great at low volume and even produced lots of great overdrive at low volume. Plus you can crank it up for some real fun when you want to shake the walls.

Another nice amp is the Blackstar Club 40, two channels with two voices each and some tone shaping buttons, plus a supposedly "infinitely" variable tone knob that selects either a British or American sound or any blend in between. This also has EL34 power tubes and a decent speaker. Personally I think it is a great fifty pound combo. The overdrive is really nice, not at all harsh like the Fender Hot Rod series, but very useable. It might be worth checking out if you get a chance.

I have a DRRI and it is a great amp, a very "clean" amp unless you turn it up loud. Good headroom but rocks when cranked. I also have a tweed Hot Rod Deluxe with a Jensen P12n alnico speaker that is a very nice amp and also very loud, not really anything like a bedroom amp.

I also have a Peavey 6505+ combo that is an awesome amp - super high gain, two channels with what amounts to a third channel when the boost button is engaged on the rythym channel. The clean channel is very nice but not clean like a Fender amp, or even a Marshall DSL.

In my personal experience lately, the Blackstar Club 40 is one of the nicest amps I've tried and it costs only about 699 from the big internet places. It is a lot of amp for the money. They were designed by some amp designers that used to work for Marshall.j

A used nice Marshall like the DSL or even nicer could easily be within your price range, and it could be an excellent choice. Nothing seems to sound like a nice Marshall, but some of these other amps are nothing to scoff at.

I hope some of these ideas are of help. I'd like to get a nice used Marshall myself.

What kind of music do you want to play, listen to. You might be able to get a good used Marshall head and cabinet, or a new Bugera head and cabinet. Peavey or Laney aren't too bad. Egnatar and Blackstar aren't favorites, citing they seem muffled. However I don't like Hartke or Randall because they might be too cheap. Most of these amps are valve so that should be taken into considereation too.

Truthfully, Egnator and Blackstar are, in fact, the favorites of many owners. This point needs to be stressed in light of the possibly misleading comment.

I tried a blackstar today...very impressive. It was the ht40. I'm seriously considering this amp or possibly the ht60 stage,which has a few more features and a 3 channel. I'm not sure on the used tls602 on eBay. , I have a hard time justifying the purchase if I can't hear it first.

Hello! Agree with Guitarest! Just found this little thing called AMT Tube Cake - which is a power amp in stomp pedal form, (similiar to EHX .22 Caliber, or .44 Magnum). Sounds just great! It has a valve emulator. Costs 130 USD. All You need is an 8 ohm cabinet, and Your usual effect pedals. Cheers... Bence

I'm not going through the entire thread. The only way to properly do this is go to a store or somewhere that has a few amps and play the damn things. Dont limit yourself to tube amps either loads of Hybred amps like the JMD will rock the socks off almost every basic tube amp around.

I'm not buying blindly based on the posts of other members alone. I have tried a dozen or more amps in the past week. I am just asking opinions to see if others share my thoughts or perhaps there is a recommendation that I haven't even considered....I know you mean well, but I hate when people assume others are not out test driving. I posted at like 4am EST....I won't think GC is open that late. Lol

[biggrin] I, for one, have always found it interesting/fascinating, that people even

care, about what "I" or other's, here, think...in regards to what "they" should like,

much less buy! Especially, those that want some confirmation, on a purchase, they've

already made?! [tongue]

We ALL have different needs, requirements, and even tastes, in music, guitars, pedals, and amps?

It's fun, and interesting, to share those, ideas...but, I never go by, (nor do I expect anyone

else, to take what I say, as more than an opinion, at best), what anyone else says...here, or

anywhere else, when shopping. But, then, I trust my own eyes, ears, experience, and judgment!

CB

I'm not buying blindly based on the posts of other members alone. I have tried a dozen or more amps in the past week. I am just asking opinions to see if others share my thoughts or perhaps there is a recommendation that I haven't even considered....I know you mean well, but I hate when people assume others are not out test driving. I posted at like 4am EST....I won't think GC is open that late. Lol

You're cool, man. You don't need to explain yourself. We are all glad to share our experiences and ideas with you, and we have a lot of them. It pretty much goes without saying that you are out there checking amps out. The other dude meant well, I'm sure, even if he seemed a little short in not reading the whole thread, etc. I'm sure he was just emphasizing the need to do the "real world" hands on, ear into part.

I like to get feedback from people who have "been there/done that" before too. Sometimes experience teaches us things we wish we didn't know, and it is definitely possible to learn from other people's experiences; and then put it to the test and see if the results are the same for you - it is kind of an intelligent approach I think. Most people are probably like you - they sit here and get as much input as they can from other possibly more knowledgeable people and then go out and make their own decision, more or less.

I just ordered the Blackstar HT-60 stage for my LP Trad....I don't know who's more excited, me or the guitar. :) [woot]:---)[drool]

I tested the HT-5R, the 40 club, and the 60 stage. The 5R, didn't hold the cleans very long before breaking up. reminded me of the Class-5 in that regard. The OD was nice on this, but probably not enough ooomph at low volumes. The 40 cleans were awesome and given enough volume can start to get some dirt on it. The OD was plenty for home use and easily controlled with the master volume to comfortable levels. Reverb was pretty decent, but I'm not a huge reverb guy. What really drew me to the 60 stage was the 3rd channel. It's more versatile...I don't have pedals and may never need them with this baby. With each OD having its own EQ and the infinite shape feature (ISF) along with the different voicing for each channel, i'm really able to dial in all 3 channels to my "stomp and play" style.

I've read that adding an EQ to the FX loop can help with the low volume tones, so I may look to add that down the road but for now I am quite happy and ready to rock.

BTW, I know GC gets a bad rap, but the guys I've worked with there are awesome, even knocking off $100 for a recent sale that I missed.

Congratulations on the amp Dg. That looks like a great choice.

I have played the Stage 60 a few times and it definitely impressed me a lot. They talk about Tweakers being great, versatile amps - I had one - but the Stage 60 seems to me to be even nicer and possibly even more tweakable, plus it has EL34 power tubes that sound great to me. You picked a really nice amp that should be totally worth the money, in my opinion. You could have gotten a much more mediocre amp very easily.

Evidently not that much is widely known about exactly how the big Blackstars get all their great tone. It has been suggested that the ISF circuit might have something digital in it - well, if it does, they sure did it well. I really like the OD channels on the amp and the voices you can choose for each channel. I can easily see where you might not ever need to use any pedals. I like a little delay, so I would have to use a delay pedal, but the reverb was totally nice in my opinion. Even the clean channel and voices sound great - a strat sounds totally nice thru them to me. I might have to get one of those Club 40's some day.

Enjoy that amp and let us know how you like it as you learn more about it. Good luck with it as well.

wow... why not throw my 2 cents in too! For under a grand! Geez... Fender, Orange, Laney, Mesa, Marshall, Vox... basically just pick a brand you like and there are a crazy amount of choices.

I have 2 Mesa's and a Marshall Class 5. I think the Marshall is a one trick pony BUT a great one trick. I know Marshall is coming out with a 'decade' series this year, a bunch of 1 watters, should be pretty cool though $750-800 a pop.

I have a Mesa RectoVerb which I love, can pick them up used for $700-900 depending, most likely a 1x12 combo. Fantastic amp, get a series 2 though, pushed clean channel.

I had a Laney Lionheart 4x10 for a while and that was a great amp too.

Orange Terror series is fantastic for low watts and you can easily pickup a head/cab for under $1k.

Vox makes wonderful amps... I usually end up trying guitars on an AC15 or AC30 b/c most shops do not have Mesa's. For as much love as I give Vox's I still don't have one! Though I did see a Voxac4bl or something like that new this year.... hmmmm [biggrin]

wow... why not throw my 2 cents in too! For under a grand! Geez... Fender, Orange, Laney, Mesa, Marshall, Vox... basically just pick a brand you like and there are a crazy amount of choices.

I have 2 Mesa's and a Marshall Class 5. I think the Marshall is a one trick pony BUT a great one trick. I know Marshall is coming out with a 'decade' series this year, a bunch of 1 watters, should be pretty cool though $750-800 a pop.

I have a Mesa RectoVerb which I love, can pick them up used for $700-900 depending, most likely a 1x12 combo. Fantastic amp, get a series 2 though, pushed clean channel.

I had a Laney Lionheart 4x10 for a while and that was a great amp too.

Orange Terror series is fantastic for low watts and you can easily pickup a head/cab for under $1k.

Vox makes wonderful amps... I usually end up trying guitars on an AC15 or AC30 b/c most shops do not have Mesa's. For as much love as I give Vox's I still don't have one! Though I did see a Voxac4bl or something like that new this year.... hmmmm [biggrin]

I really wanted a Marshall, but didn't want to wait around for just the right one to pop up. I'll get one down the road. Can't wait to pick up the blackstar!

Well, to be specific, I am looking for pure demented growling tube amp sound, preferably low wattage, "for home/practice use" with on board OD & Revereb, at under a grand, Please submit your experience. BTW. I curretnly have a Class 5, and it is limited to say the least and I have it up for sale.

I play Led Z. Pink Floyd, Rush and this sort of ballzy sounds.

Well what i use with my Les Paul is the Fender Blues Junior 3 which has 2 12AX7 and 2 EL84's Tubes, Spring Reverb, a Fat Switch for extra gain, tone, middle, reverb, volume and master volume controls with 15 watts of power through a 12-inch lightning bolt Fender speaker.

I love the way my Les Paul sounds with it, and i play primarily blues rock through it, and it has the fat woman tone i love so much.....try it out in your local music store it retails for $500.00 i think you'll really like it.

This works for me:

_MG_2108.jpg

I need to actually read all the words in the topic. Well you might find one second hand for under a grand.

When I was a kid, I was dying for a Twin Reverb. I used to go to the stores and play them all the time.

I guess, I (really) am "OLD," now. A 5-15 watt tube amp, is my idea of tone heaven,

for the bedroom/living room, these days! But...it wasn't always that way.

When I was 19 (1969) I had this "bedroom" amp!

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

Marshall "Major" (200 watt) Full Stack...in my bedroom! Of course, I also used it, when playing out,

as venues would allow, anyway. Otherwise, it was a Fender Twin Reverb...the smallest amp I owned, at

that time! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

CB hows the hearing? ;) ;) and what's it like to peg that baby? any adrenaline rushes?? \:D/ \:D/ ;)

Well, to be specific, I am looking for pure demented growling tube amp sound, preferably low wattage, "for home/practice use" with on board OD & Revereb, at under a grand, Please submit your experience. BTW. I curretnly have a Class 5, and it is limited to say the least and I have it up for sale.

I play Led Z. Pink Floyd, Rush and this sort of ballzy sounds.

We have a new contender:

Yamaha THR10

5B07F01909C34A9B8AE1C95C0B3CD4DF_12005.jpg

ETA: here is a pretty good

giving some the sounds this little amp can dish out.

Archived