Gibson Brands Forums

What is the Best Tube Amp under a Grand suitable for a Les Paul

guitarhead

Guest farnsbarns

I played a Marshall class 5 and found it to be flat, muddy and boring unless it was cranked. I have a jcm2000 TSL60 and I only use it at home. To be fair I live in a detached house with some distance to the neighbours but I don't find I really have to crank it for tone. I am in the market for a small (fit in the back of a classic mini over the seats) tube amp and I'm thinking of a fender BJ. Not good for rough gainy tones but take pedals well. I also liked the 5 watt Blackstar I played. The reverberated was digital but it was £199.99 and sounded excellent. Only about 15"3 too.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who needs to spend a grand for 15 watts. Plenty of Fender sparkle and most of the time you can leave your pedals at home. $300 for the amp and I put another $180 into the 1X12 extension cab and speaker to make it gig worthy. Still came in at below $500.

AGILELR004.jpg

Or, if you need to get really serious and simply must spend $1000 snag yourself a litely used TRRI. The belief held by many that a 15 watt amp can't gig and an 85 watt amp can't be used for practice is an assumption not based in fact. Of course both can do either. That's why guitars, pedals, and amps have volume knobs.

LP058.jpg

LP116.jpg

I'm a big believer that Fender amps are the best thing that ever happened to Gibson.

I bought a Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100 combo, used for £125. It's a great amp for home use. It has effects and a headphone socket.

I've used it for a band rehearsal with a Marshall extension cab and it sounded great. 4 channels with footswitch.

I know valve is supposed to be better, but it's good to have both. Keep the Marshall and get a one of these I'd say.

Don't forget you can get an A/b box and run both together too. Lots of pros run two or more amps together to get 'that' sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big Egnater fan too. I have and Egnater Rebel with two Egnater 112 cabs. I just bought a Gibson LP Studio 60's Tribute and it sounds incredible with it. Built way better than any of the Fender Hot Rod Series. The Fender DRRI is a really sweet amp too.

I'm really enjoying my Mesa Trans-Atlantic 15. As with many Mesa's it has a 3 different power levels from 5 to 15 watts. It has multiple voices. I'm a really big fan of the EL-84 chime so I spend a lot of time on the top boost side of the amp. Both channels have a master volume. However, the master volume on the Top Boost side disables the Cut function. The downside for you is that it is a head, so total package for a cab would run you over a grand unless you have an extension cab already available to you.

All of that aside, it looks really cool with the blue LED lights when I play in the dark :)

Just my .02

JRPLefty

I would definitely check out the Blackstar Club 40 at 700US. I have played them several times and it is an outstanding EL34 based amp and has two channels with two voices per channel and some other swithes and buttons something like an Egnater Tweaker, but it sounds way better in my opinion. It is one of the best amps I have ever played in terms of sound. I liked it better than the Dual Super Lead by far and it costs way less. You can get some awesome tones out of it and it has a great speaker in the combo. Totally an awesome amp and sounds great clean or with distortion at low volumes.

Although you, and others, may like different amps more, this is an amp that I would seriously consider before spending 700 on a different amp. You can go anywhere from clean to ultra high gain, with plenty of sounds in between.

Hope this gives you something else to look at.

Also the Bleackheart "Hot Head" is another amp head that is highly regarded with 100 watts, but with switching to go between A and AB class that lets it put out as little as 30 watts. It is built with ceramic tube sockets and quality components, with a five year warranty. Four EL34 power amp tubes and something like six preamp tubes. Can be very high gain and has been compared to Marshall JCM 900's in sound. This amp, interestingly, sells for only 499 for the head; so that leaves plenty to get a good cabinet for it. You may want to check out this supposedly great amp head.

Well, this is a risky first post, but here goes nothing.

I wouldn't buy any "real" amp if I were you. Instead, get one of the better modelling rigs (a used Line6 Spyder perhaps), and play that long enought to figure out what kind of amp suits your style best. Then when you're sure you have something in mind that will work, sell the modelling amp and invest in a good tube amp of the appropriate type.

You may find that you're really only happy with a Marshall type tone, or maybe you will grow to think that you're more of a tweed Fender man. For years, when I was younger, I lusted after big, high powered amps. I kept buying the most pwerful amps I could afford, and then getting terribe tone at the low volumes I was forced to use with them. Only later, I realized that what I was really after all along was a small, simple Fender kind of sound. I can't tell you how much money and time I wasted on that quest.

Right now, in addition to my expensive amps, I'm having a lot of fun with an Egnater Tweaker, definitely within your price range. But, you may decide only something heavier would work for you. A decent modelling amp will reveal all...

VOX makes some excellent "modeling" amps, well within the original poster's price range,

and with plenty of power, for gigging, as well. Even the all valve AC-15 and AC-30's are within

that price range. AC-30's at $999.99 or less (Smile)...unless they are the "handwired," versions.

AC-15 is $599 or less. But, even those, are less, if "Used," but not abused.

So, LOT'S of great choices, available. Again...Try them all, or at least, as many as you can!

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a early 80's Fender Super Champ? 22 watts...drive channel....sick!

J

I loved my Super Champ!! I used it to drive my Fender Twin!!

HKamp.jpg

Now , I have a Hughes& Kettner Switchblade 50 all tube amp and I love Love LOVE IT!!!

I paid like $875.00 for it.

Sounds awesome loud or soft.

Being that you said for " home use " I would think that you would be looking for something at 5 watts or below. Some of the suggestions here are WAY too much for home use.

I recently played the BlackStar HT-1R at one of the locals and was blown away by the little booger. Now keep in mind that it does break up pretty quickly but you are going to have that with lower wattage amps. At $449 I think it is the best bang for your buck.

That being said, there are some nice alternatives out there. I owned a Fender Super Champ XD that was great for home use. Its a hybrid with VERY good amp simulations, very useable onboard effects, and can get loud when need be. I've taken it to rehearsal and was asked to turn DOWN !

Alot of guys are also real high on the new Fender Mustang line. All solid state but with an unbelievable array of features. I've also played one of them at one of the locals but passed on it because it would take one some time to learn to be able to take advantage of all its features.

• 3 months later...

I guess, I (really) am "OLD," now. A 5-15 watt tube amp, is my idea of tone heaven,

for the bedroom/living room, these days! But...it wasn't always that way.

When I was 19 (1969) I had this "bedroom" amp!

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

Marshall "Major" (200 watt) Full Stack...in my bedroom! Of course, I also used it, when playing out,

as venues would allow, anyway. Otherwise, it was a Fender Twin Reverb...the smallest amp I owned, at

that time! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I guess, I (really) am "OLD," now. A 5-15 watt tube amp, is my idea of tone heaven,

Marshall "Major" (200 watt) Full Stack...in my bedroom! Of course, I also used it, when playing out,

as venues would allow, anyway. Otherwise, it was a Fender Twin Reverb...the smallest amp I owned, at

CB

CB, Can you still hear??? [laugh] [laugh] Oh, to be young and strong once again. [rolleyes] I'm three yrs younger and down sized about 12 yrs ago. {they're still too heavy [biggrin]} Also have permanent ringing in left ear. [crying] Wish I wasn't so stupid to think ear plugs weren't cool. {still got that great looking guitar? [biggrin]} Take Care, TC

CB, Can you still hear??? [laugh] [laugh] Oh, to be young and strong once again. [rolleyes] I'm three yrs younger and down sized about 12 yrs ago. {they're still too heavy [biggrin]} Also have permanent ringing in left ear. [crying] Wish I wasn't so stupid to think ear plugs weren't cool. {still got that great looking guitar? [biggrin]} Take Care, TC

HUH???? LOL Yeah, my hearing's fine, amazingly enough. The odd thing was, that Marshall wasn't that

loud, standing right in front of it. It was extremely loud, however, about 20-30 feet away...at the sound cone's

apex. You could feel the concussion, from the speakers, though. Talk about "feeling the music!" LOL

As to the guitar(s)...they're all gone, now...as is the Marshall. They were all sold, in 1972, when I

stopped playing altogether. Foolish, but somehow, it "felt" right, at the time. "C'est La Vie!" [tongue]

CB

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Marshall valvestate vs265 that I basically got for free like 10 years ago. It was an $800 amp at the time but you can find them for around $400 on eBay. I've been happy with it no matter what I've played through it. It's LOUD for home use, but great tones IMO. It features a clean, 2 o/d and chorus channel with fx loop and can be extended.

Have to find a new footswitch for it, but otherwise I love it, especially for the price I got it. :)

I started out with a small Vox modeling amp and then picked up a Orange TT. Loved the Orange, but when I picked up my half stack (Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 + 4 x Cab), it was used so seldom, that I ended up selling it to fund some other studio kit.

From a tone perspective, as the Marshall has a Master Volume, it sounds great from 3 on the volume upwards. Playing clean, you can crank the volume right up, but dirty, just over 3 when people or in, just over 4 when people are our and at 6 when I feel the need to be very loud !

The rig cost me about £600 second hand, so I think great value.

The only issue, is transporting it! when I want to travel. For that reason I would like a second rig and was thinking about:

- Orange TH 30 Head

- 2 x Cab

I think the 2 x Cab would be much easier to live with and still give me the tone. The Orange head is also much lighter and smaller, with the ability to reduce out put from Stage to Studio. Only thing is, I would need to sell the Marshall to fund the new amp. which I am not sure I could do.

I also looked at the Marshall Class 5, but think no Gain control is an issue. When I have some time, will try a few out and then try to pick one up via ebay.

CB

Just can`t imagine playing a 200 watt full stack in the bedroom, I thought my 50 watt half stack was mad enough [scared]

By the way, what is your 5-15 watt current amp?

All the best and thanks for sharing the photo [thumbup]

My current 15 watt tube amp, is a Fender "Blues Jr." I'm going to check out

a Marshall Class 5, and some other's, just for fun, the next time I have a chance.

CB

If your looking at one of the older Class 5`s, the trick I read about. Stick a cable half way in to the headphone socket and volume out of the main speak drops dramatically. On the new ones, you have a button to drop it from 5 - 1 watt, so not sure this trick would have any value.

All the best

• 4 weeks later...

ok....so my valvestate just hit the crapper. It has a bad hum and I can't get it out...not worth fixing IMO.

So, I'm looking at some new amp possibilities.....help me out fellas.

I play a lp trad...a little bit of every style from GnR, Metallica, to kings of leon, black keys, pearl jam, hell even some country. I am a play at home hobbyist, so I think low-mid wattage is plenty as long as I get the good tones at low volumes, I'm ok with it.

I want an all tube amp, no more of this hybrid ****. I'll set my limit at a grand as the OP suggest. I currently do not have any individual pedals but will add where needed. Ideally I'd lke something with 2 or 3 channels that is footswitchable, but I suppose if I had to I could just go down the pedal route from day 1.

Ive looked at/tested so far:

Class A - didn't like it, one trick pony

Egnator Tweaker-40 - intrigued. I like the different sounds you can get from the various flip switches, tone was pretty good, takes pedals well and has a FX loop I believe. It has 2 channels that are footswitchable so I can set one to clean and one to OD I suppose. I like the clean tone, but I'm not sure the OD is enough. I dont see getting "Back in Black" out of that.

VOX AC15c and AC30c - both are nice amps with great clean tone. No footswitch for channels though. who wants to constantly change inputs all the time? I think these would take pedals well so again if I go down the pedal route for OD/Distortion I guess these would work.

Fender Hot Rod Deville 112 - LOVE LOVE LOVE the clean on this amp. wasn't overly impressed with the OD and the OD "boost" at 65watts it's almost too loud for the house but did have decent low volume tones. Would take pedals well.

Marshall JCM2000 TSL602 - this is a slightly used amp that I have not seen or tested. Know that I love the 3 channel feature and it's a marhsall so DUH, i'm sure it'll sound amazing.

Marshall MA50C - haven't seen or tested these, I know they are made in China and that's the knock on them. cheap cabinet/parts. I'm sure there are better amps out there for the money..

So now it's your turn guys....you all helped me pick my guitar...now send me down the right path for the ampage.

ok....so my valvestate just hit the crapper. It has a bad hum and I can't get it out...not worth fixing IMO.

So, I'm looking at some new amp possibilities.....help me out fellas.

I play a lp trad...a little bit of every style from GnR, Metallica, to kings of leon, black keys, pearl jam, hell even some country. I am a play at home hobbyist, so I think low-mid wattage is plenty as long as I get the good tones at low volumes, I'm ok with it.

I want an all tube amp, no more of this hybrid ****. I'll set my limit at a grand as the OP suggest. I currently do not have any individual pedals but will add where needed. Ideally I'd lke something with 2 or 3 channels that is footswitchable, but I suppose if I had to I could just go down the pedal route from day 1.

Ive looked at/tested so far:

Class A - didn't like it, one trick pony

Egnator Tweaker-40 - intrigued. I like the different sounds you can get from the various flip switches, tone was pretty good, takes pedals well and has a FX loop I believe. It has 2 channels that are footswitchable so I can set one to clean and one to OD I suppose. I like the clean tone, but I'm not sure the OD is enough. I dont see getting "Back in Black" out of that.

VOX AC15c and AC30c - both are nice amps with great clean tone. No footswitch for channels though. who wants to constantly change inputs all the time? I think these would take pedals well so again if I go down the pedal route for OD/Distortion I guess these would work.

Fender Hot Rod Deville 112 - LOVE LOVE LOVE the clean on this amp. wasn't overly impressed with the OD and the OD "boost" at 65watts it's almost too loud for the house but did have decent low volume tones. Would take pedals well.

Marshall JCM2000 TSL602 - this is a slightly used amp that I have not seen or tested. Know that I love the 3 channel feature and it's a marhsall so DUH, i'm sure it'll sound amazing.

Marshall MA50C - haven't seen or tested these, I know they are made in China and that's the knock on them. cheap cabinet/parts. I'm sure there are better amps out there for the money..

So now it's your turn guys....you all helped me pick my guitar...now send me down the right path for the ampage.

You might try the Hot Rod Deluxe it is similar to the Deville but you might like the drive and more drive function.

3-channel, 40-watt Tube Amplifier with 1 x 12" Celestion G12P-80 Speaker, Fender Spring Reverb, and Bright Switch The FENDER® Hot Rod Deluxe™ III carries on one of the world's most popular lines of guitar amplifiers. Armed with a pair of 6L6 power tubes. A 1x12 extension cab is available for it also.

Archived