Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic exclusives

BigKahune

From the MF catalog - (the following are listed as MF exclusives, some are not yet listed on the website) -

The Sparrow (H'bird)

AJ Classic and AJ Koa

12-Fret Blues L-00 - $2499 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-l-00-12-fret-blues-acoustic-electric-guitar

. . . . . .(combining features of Keb Mo', classic L-00, and Robert Johnson)

Songwriter Mahogany - $1999

J-185 EC Quilt

<The following is NOT listed as MF exclusives>

Traveling Songwriter - $2999 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-traveling-songwriter-ce-acoustic-electric-guitar

J-185 Custom Quilt/Vine - $3699 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-j-185-custom-quilted-maple-with-vine-inlay-acoustic-guitar

<edited 8/25>

Hmm, $3K for a travel guitar .... I dont think so .. [thumbdn]

My instant thought also..... travel guitar suggests a few hundred to me, a thousand to twelve hundred for the higher rollers among us. The notion of a travel guitar suggests compromise of some sort other wise it's just a 'guitar' and for 3k I'd be looking for the 'real thing'.

My instant thought also..... travel guitar suggests a few hundred to me, a thousand to twelve hundred for the higher rollers among us. The notion of a travel guitar suggests compromise of some sort other wise it's just a 'guitar' and for 3k I'd be looking for the 'real thing'.

I travel constantly on business, and usually take a travel guitar with me if I'm gone for more than a few days. The ideal travel guitar is small enough so that they don't stare at it when you carry it aboard the plane, fits in the overhead bin, won't get damaged when someone pushes another bag on top of it in the overhead bin, doesn't cost a fortune, and sounds something like a real guitar. A $3k "travel guitar" is an oxymoron, even for those of us who spend that on a "real" guitar without batting an eyelash.

Hmm, $3K for a travel guitar .... I dont think so .. [thumbdn]

It's a 12-fret L-00 Gibson. "Travel Guitar" is a user's description of his personal purpose for owning it. That guitar has many other uses, it is not solely a travel guitar.

ETA: Nevermind, you were talking about the Traveling Songwrter, weren't you? :huh: [crying]

Are these general Gibson models or just for MF

Reason I ask is I am in the UK and love the Vine J-185

Greg - actually, I don't think the J-185 Custom Quilt/Vine - $3699 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-j-185-custom-quilted-maple-with-vine-inlay-acoustic-guitar is an exclusive. I happened to run across it looking for the J-185 EC Quilt which is exclusive. I edited my original post so it's not so confusing on that matter.

Does anyone know what the Sparrow is all about?

There's still nothing list at the MF website, but here's the copy that is printed under a listing for the Hummingbird in MF's latest catalog (September 2011) - "New Exclusive! The Sparrow. There's a new bird in town available only at MF! Fusing the magic of Gibson's theme acoustics with the legendary sound of classic models that made music history. See it online at musiciansfriend.com"

Sorry I can't be much more help.

I don't really get what is supposed to make the Traveling Songwriter a travel guitar, other than maybe the thin body. Perhaps we are misinterpretting the name, and it not meant as a "travel guitar" as we talk about them, but for a travelling professional musician. I do think the rear soundhole is pretty interesting. I would like to try one out to see what it sounds like.

Also, I would really like to try out one of the 12 fret L-00s!

12 fret L-00 is a Keb' Mo' without the Keb' and the Mo' (and the attendant upcharges). Nice in 'burst! Ce

I prefer Mo.

The Keb Mo has an adirondack top, fingerboard binding, herringbone purfling and an wider nut (1 13/16" vs 1 11/16"). Some folks might like this one though...but I prefer the features on the KB model.

Archived