Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars in their case

beard

So I am just wondering what is known about how to stand a guitar in its case is there is such a proper thing. I know this is a weird topic and may seem over overcautious but as I have many guitars I don't want to get any neck twists or anything weird ( is this possible?). Is it ok of I keep them leaning upright in my music room? or should they be layed flat?

Thanks

All my cases lay flat in a purpose made Cabinet. I don't think it causes any problems standing them up however there is always a chance they could get knocked over!!

I guess I'm just cautious but then I have two young children. I have a 48 yr old Epi acoustic which has spent most of it's life in it's case and still has the most beautiful colour in it's sunburst top due to it never seeing the sun..

Regards

All my cases lay flat in a purpose made Cabinet. I don't think it causes any problems standing them up however there is always a chance they could get knocked over!!

Simon you giant gaylord! I knew you'd have a special way to store them all [flapper]

Matt

Even though they are cased up (HSC? right?) guitars are still susceptible to whiplash if they fall over.

1st best: Lying flat, bridge up, on a shelf designed for the purpose, i.e. just enough room for the case with no possibility of anything being stacked on top of the case.

2nd best: Propped, head up in a rack designed for the purpose, i.e. separators between multiple cases.

3rd best: Propped in a corner with the soundboard at a 45° angle to the adjoining walls

Anything else, you are asking for trouble.

There's nothing wrong with standing them up, provided they can't fall over. This is my current sub-optimal (but reasonably secure) solution in my office/studio, but I am going to convert the closet (this used to be a bedroom) into secure stand-up guitar racks with dividers and retaining straps, plus shelves to store accessories like amps, etc.

Once I can hide them in a closet, it won't be so obvious to my wife how many of these guitar thingies I actually have at any one time.

th_guitaroffice2.jpg

th_guitaroffice1.jpg

Very nice Flight.

Let me add, just about every case out there has three sets of "feet" - one set for standing on end, one set for setting on the side, and one set for lying flat. Use at your own risk. B)

I've found setting on the side to be a dangerous habit. Tempts you to sit on the case to pose for PR pictures.

That Gibson cabinet is great. There is how ever one problem with getting one of those.

If its got 4 shelves, and you have 3 guitars, it wont look right..you will have to buy another guitar.

OK, not really a problem!

Flight..... your furniture piece is tops. I'm about to start building a custom cupboard in a similar design that will use the full 8' ceiling. With the winter coming I think that the laying down position offers humidifing benefits over standing if that makes sense, and the space is used more efficiently. Good topic.

Not at all, it's just a suggestion.. I cringe when I see guitars hanging by those wall hangers and there meant to be ok.

Regards

Why this is how Frank Ford suggests storing a guitar in a moderate climate. I think it's nice to have a couple out and in reach for a quick tune!

Why this is how Frank Ford suggests storing a guitar in a moderate climate. I think it's nice to have a couple out and in reach for a quick tune!

Personally for me I think hanging a guitar could present and issue but thats probably because I play mainly solid body electric guitars around the 9-10lbs range so maybe that's why I am against it... That said I visited a large guitar shop a few days ago with LOTS of guitars both solid's and acoustics and i'd say 90% of them were hanging.. [thumbup]

Now that there is a poor man's guitar rack. It does accomplish the same ends. Safe and secure. Now if You could pull the couch a couple feet farther from the book case, you would HAVE to purchase two more guitars to protect the rest. [thumbup]

th_guitaroffice2.jpg

th_guitaroffice1.jpg

Now that there is a poor man's guitar rack. It does accomplish the same ends. Safe and secure. Now if You could pull the couch a couple feet farther from the book case, you would HAVE to purchase two more guitars to protect the rest. [thumbup]

Believe me, it's a struggle to maintain the required functional division between guitars and office. I do have a nice-sized closet that is going to get converted for guitar storage once I build a new walk-in closet in another room (in my spare time). I can get these plus a few more guitars in that old closet space, and this room can go back to looking more-or-less like an office instead of a storage locker.

I was gonna talk to my wife about giving up some of her office space for my guitars, but decided that was probably not a smart thing to do....

I like the guitar rack, Flight. Very nice.

Does this thread imply that those 'multi-guitar' racks are bad for the guitars?

Bluesking777.

I'm not implying it. For those racks which store the guitars in the headstock up position, each case has it's own slot and that it takes considerable oomph to remove the case from it's slot. Otherwise an unintentional bump or nudge could send them all tumbling.

• 2 years later...

Archived