Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning an sg g400 with WORN cherry finish (how?)

drook11

I bought an Epiphone SG G400 worn cherry finish on eBay and it's a great guitar. I got a good deal on it and it came shipping free and included a really nice Epiphone hard case. I took the strings off and did a 1/2ass setup (it was already set up pretty well) and cleaned it up the best I could and restrung it.

The problem is, I don't know how to clean this kind of satin or "matte" (?) finish. I didn't want to use lemon oil like I do on my Telecaster, which has a glossy "blonde" finish and maple fingerboard or guitar gloss. What can I use to polish and clean a guitar with this kind of finsh?

Also, and this is going to sound ridiculous, but when I opened the case, the smell of foot wafted out. I think its the case's plush interior, but it has made the guitar smell of foot. I do not want my awesome new guitar to smell like FOOT!!! Any suggestions on how to lose the foot stank?

Thanks!

Hi D11 and welcome to the forums, great bunch of geet geeks around here, I hope you like it.

Congrats on the faded, they're wonderful guitars, HNGD to you.

A fellow member, animalfarm swears by using a dry chamois on faded guitars, he's tried just about everything and this was the best method he's found. There's a Do-It-Yourself thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge section which he has compiled, it has so much info on maintaining/modifying/repairing guitars it's difficult to know where to start, it's well worth a look for all kinds of tips and tutorials.

DIY Thread

BTW, there's an old saying around here, pics or it didn't happen, info on how to post pics is at the top of the DIY.

Hi D11 and welcome to the forums, great bunch of geet geeks around here, I hope you like it.

Congrats on the faded, they're wonderful guitars, HNGD to you.

A fellow member, animalfarm swears by using a dry chamois on faded guitars, he's tried just about everything and this was the best method he's found. There's a Do-It-Yourself thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge section which he has compiled, it has so much info on maintaining/modifying/repairing guitars it's difficult to know where to start, it's well worth a look for all kinds of tips and tutorials.

DIY Thread

BTW, there's an old saying around here, pics or it didn't happen, info on how to post pics is at the top of the DIY.

Thanks for the mention, RaSTuS. Gets confusing in there,eh?

D11:

13B5920EC4CCEF9BFCBEA51C8010.jpg

Regarding your question, read the topic/Link. May help some...

"Day-to-day guitar care What do YOU do?"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67356-day-to-day-guitar-care/#entry913071

Thanks for the mention, RaSTuS. Gets confusing in there,eh?

Regarding your question, read the topic/Link. May help some...

"Day-to-day guitar care What do YOU do?"

http://forum.gibson....re/#entry913071

I only done it because I know you may not be able to visit as often AF, and I regard the advice you've given very highly, and the DIY too of course.

Try Febreeze or a baking soda fridge pack in the case for a few days. I use Dunlop cleaner on my guitars. Does a good job and leaves no residue.

"you just shot an unarmed man" "well he should have armed himself before he goes around decoratin his saloon with my friend" sorry thats off topic but I loved your picture.

I bought a guitar off of eBay several years ago and unmentioned in the description was the fact that the guy was a heavy smoker ("didn't think it mattered"). The case smelled like an ashtray. Several treatments with Fabreeze and subsequent airings outside finally got rid of the smell. I wiped the guitar with Naptha, which eliminated any smoke smell on the guitar and cleaned off the gunk. I would use Naptha to wipe down your worn finish. All my guitars get a wipe-down every month and they all do fine. The way it was explained to me, "why add wax to a guitar finish and trap all the residue under it, when you can take off the residue and get down to the original finish".

I had a Gibson LP SG Custom 1962 model with ebony block with pearl inlay behind the vibrato...stock with PAFs. I bought it new in '62. I sold it not long ago, because I needed the money for some other business. I was never too happy with the "Fretless Wonder" because it never had the sustain nor tone of a standard Les Paul. The day I sold it, I had a bit of buyers remorse, but got a good price for it. I decided to soften my loss, by purchasing an Epiphone G-400 custom which costs about 1/10 the price of a new Gibson SG CST. The Epi plays and sounds better than my original Gibson SG. The body is sculpted slightly different, but the neck and frets are much better and it sustains beautifully.

I changed out the tuners, pots hardware and pickups. I put an original Gibson PAF in the front position and a Dirty Fingers in the Bridge position, and I installed a GFS Mean 90 in the middle. I also installed a Creation Audio Labs Redeemer (buffer) in the electronics cavity, and I installed a Bigsby on it. I'm planning to swap out the pots with some CFS Audio taper pots, and install a Platinum Lab Varitone by Rothstein.

When I got the guitar it seemed top heavy. After installing the Bigsby w/ Chet Atkins arm, and the Redeemer, the instrument became totally balanced. It's a screamer and sounds awesome...much better than my original Gibson SG.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the color is antique Ivory. I would prefer Artic White, especially with the stark white pickguard..that looks ugly together. I replaced the pickguard with a cream pearl guard which I had custom made for the guitar. The aesthetics are more pleasing now. I also installed Shellex MOP tuner buttons on the grover tuners.

I'd like to buy another one and outfit it in the same way, but I want an Artic White one...Don't know why they don't offer that color, like the original Gibson SG. Not to mention that the new SG Special is being offered in Artic White...so why not an G-400 Cst. in artic white. I believe they offered it this way years ago, but I can't find any for sale. Wonder if Epi would make a custom order instrument like Gibson does in the custom shop.

Cleaning them is quite easy. I use a TW Doyle fingerboard oil to prevent the fingerboard from cracking. I use windex or glass cleaner on the body, and it works well.

I recently ordered an LP-Ultra III in sapphire blue and am waiting for that to come in. I love the Epi's. I also have a Gibson CS-356 Natural with S-400 inlays coming in from the Gibson custom shop.

post-35610-007668100 1314995798_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I bought an Epi SG 400 faded cherry and love the way it plays and sounds. I dropped in a CTS/Sprague harness with Switchcraft jack and switch. I also changed the pickguard for a black 4 ply full. The nut was changed for a TusQ black. The icky faded finish was easy, lots of elbow grease and car polishing compound by Turtlewax with a soft rag, topped it all off with Dunlop polish. Schaller straplocks were added and it now looks as good as it sounds.

I had a Gibson LP SG Custom 1962 model with ebony block with pearl inlay behind the vibrato...stock with PAFs. I bought it new in '62. I sold it not long ago, because I needed the money for some other business. I was never too happy with the "Fretless Wonder" because it never had the sustain nor tone of a standard Les Paul. The day I sold it, I had a bit of buyers remorse, but got a good price for it. I decided to soften my loss, by purchasing an Epiphone G-400 custom which costs about 1/10 the price of a new Gibson SG CST. The Epi plays and sounds better than my original Gibson SG. The body is sculpted slightly different, but the neck and frets are much better and it sustains beautifully.

I changed out the tuners, pots hardware and pickups. I put an original Gibson PAF in the front position and a Dirty Fingers in the Bridge position, and I installed a GFS Mean 90 in the middle. I also installed a Creation Audio Labs Redeemer (buffer) in the electronics cavity, and I installed a Bigsby on it. I'm planning to swap out the pots with some CFS Audio taper pots, and install a Platinum Lab Varitone by Rothstein.

When I got the guitar it seemed top heavy. After installing the Bigsby w/ Chet Atkins arm, and the Redeemer, the instrument became totally balanced. It's a screamer and sounds awesome...much better than my original Gibson SG.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the color is antique Ivory. I would prefer Artic White, especially with the stark white pickguard..that looks ugly together. I replaced the pickguard with a cream pearl guard which I had custom made for the guitar. The aesthetics are more pleasing now. I also installed Shellex MOP tuner buttons on the grover tuners.

I'd like to buy another one and outfit it in the same way, but I want an Artic White one...Don't know why they don't offer that color, like the original Gibson SG. Not to mention that the new SG Special is being offered in Artic White...so why not an G-400 Cst. in artic white. I believe they offered it this way years ago, but I can't find any for sale. Wonder if Epi would make a custom order instrument like Gibson does in the custom shop.

Cleaning them is quite easy. I use a TW Doyle fingerboard oil to prevent the fingerboard from cracking. I use windex or glass cleaner on the body, and it works well.

I recently ordered an LP-Ultra III in sapphire blue and am waiting for that to come in. I love the Epi's. I also have a Gibson CS-356 Natural with S-400 inlays coming in from the Gibson custom shop.

Welcome to the forum WWJ.

Lovely G400 Custom dude. I love the mods you've made.

Yeah, never cared much for the cream colour either. Wife bought this one for me in 2008.

It's an Antique White and was a Limited Edition with Maestro from 2006. I did some mods and, like yours, is an awsome player. [thumbup]

cimg1121h.jpg

cimg1122k.jpg

They are out there but can be a little difficult to find.

My wife got me this one 'cause I was still upset about having to sell my '67 Standard SG

a couple of years earlier. [crying]:-({|=

Paul

The "foot" smell you refer to is probably due to mold or mildew in the case lining, which could have occurred if it was stored in a humid (or cold and clammy) environment. Drying the case thoroughly by leaving it open in sunlight for a couple of days (and maybe turning a fan on it for a while too) ought to help, then using the febreze and baking soda treatments mentioned earlier.

Archived