Gibson Brands Forums

People are fighting at my local supermarket.

dem00n

North Carolina,Virginia Beach Have already gotten their mandentory moving papers. I'm waiting for tomorrow to buy Ice and gas. Generators. already set, with extra extention cords. My thing is when it goes past the yard I'll be working. so I have to take care of my wife and home before I go in. I hear you boys in new york are going to get hit hard. I've been through a number of bad Hurricanes, they are nothing to take lightly. So y'all take care up there. [confused]

Clash...

Remember the typhoon that hit around Brisbane?

m

Not exactly....Typhoon?

Alot of 'natural disasters' have happened in the brisbane area in the past few years...of which are you referring to??

I remember the massive floods at the start of the year...Where my mum lives in queensland got severly flash flooded. I was visiting for a few weeks and just returned to NSW and the floods happened two days later...Soooo lucky to have gotten out of there.

There have been several cyclones in Queensland and Brisbane has been hit a few times, Queensland is always on cyclone watch. I do worry when they hit though...

I also hope everything goes ok with the Hurricane too...

I don't understand...whats happening?

FYI Hurricane Irene is tracking to go right up Staten Island, New York City this weekend

Irene promises to take a swipe at Washington, D.C. on it's way up the Potomac River. This area is still picking up after the earthquake of a couple days ago.

> > > HURRICANE IRENE of 2011 < < <

Many of the locals are just now deciding to lay in additional supplies. (They U.S. Weather Service has been reporting on this hurricane for over a week) Those who live along the hurricane prone coasts, by and large, prepare for hurricanes well ahead of time. They make plans at the beginning of the season. The TV media would, rather than focusing in on the majority of folks who are prepared and provisioned (not exciting enough), focus on people loading up on supplies 24-48 hours hence. We are spoon fed video of empty store shelves and shoppers fighting over God knows what. This usually results in a stampede and hoarding mentality.

It takes but one extra can of food per week, set-aside, to be prepared for such emergencies. At any given time you should be prepared to do without utilities and civil services for a week. Beyond one week, if you dwell in a big city, you need to implement your bug out plan. Plan to know where you are going to go and how you are going to get there. The where is anywhere away from large numbers of people. The how may mean having a full tank of gas plus 10 gallons in the trunk, or it may mean walking.

Since NYC is the largest city in the US, it seems to reason that there are more unprepared souls clamoring for food, water, batteries, booze, fire arms, etc. This makes for good Evening News Theater. "If it bleeds, it leads." There is also the big city influence. Most big city dwellers become complacent in that if at any time they want or need something, they are a scant few minutes from being able to purchase it. Therefore the need to be prepared gets forgotten. What happened, or is happening, in the UK with social unrest could very well happen here. If you are near ground zero you will wish you were prepared. Being prepared also means being willing and able to bug out on a moment's notice.

Wow, ok.

I gathered what was goin on after someone said Hurricane, but i did learn from the explanation...

I live on the coast in NSW, Aus...so unlike queensland who gets many a cyclone and victoria that has had some severe bushfires, the area in which i live isn't really open to such natural disasters..I feel kinda grateful and lucky to live where i live.

we did have a tsunami warning a few years ago, It was silly however because it was never guarenteed to hit in any severe or damaging way but like always the media played it up and people started talking and made it seem worse and got alot of people panicing but when the time came it ended up being the tiniest wave ever, You'd barely even know it was a "Tsunami" if the media hadnt mentioned it.

I think that the news media also are fed by government people who want to look good to their constituents by doing everything possible to lessen the effect of a natural disaster. That's easier than explaining why things didn't work after one hits.

In our mass media era, I think it brings some degree of mixed results, but along with mass media we also have larger population concentrations in areas that can be hit by adverse weather.

m

All the water, milk, canned foods and pretty much everything is gone. People are fighting for leftover supplies.

**** media.

Wait until the Welfare States like NY run out of other people's monies. God knows what you'll be seeing then.

I don't understand...whats happening?

In Raleigh NC when there is even a chance of 1 inch or more of snow, all the supermarket stores are flooded with people who buy up all the bread & milk leaving all the Beer for me [thumbup]

It's a category 2 now, and will be at the most a category 1 when it hits NY, atleast that's what the weather channel is saying. Maybe I'm just used to it, living in FL. Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne made land fall less than a mile from my house. 2 hurricanes within 3 weeks of each other, Cat 2 for Frances then a Cat 3 for Jeanne. Had no power for a few weeks.

it's suppossed to hit us in atlantic city nj hard. everybody is buggin' out! the gas stations are packed,the markets are insane. taffic ain't that bad yet. the authorities called for voluntary evacuations in the two most southern counties. time to hunker down i,m grabin' my dog my 3 les paul,s and haulin' @$$. ya'll be safe. [-o<

Nothing of the sort up here in canada. usually hurricanes get downgraded to tropical storms by the time they hit here. it's rare a full force hurricane makes landfall here.

Either way, there was a memo at work stating for us to call the weather hotline to see if we were open before leaving for work on Sunday and Monday this weekend.

I'm hoping they close us, but at the same time considering the blizzards I've had to drive in during the winter, I'd be shocked if they closed over some rain and high winds. I think the hurricane would have to go right past Maine and hit land in New Brunswick by tracking up the Bay of Fundy before that would happen.

Archived