Gibson Brands Forums

Cheapest String Source

brundaddy

Couple of years back somebody posted a link to a site that sold strings for dirt cheap -- and they even sold individual strings as well. Being the golden standard of forethought and organization that I am, I no longer have this link. Every 5 years or so I stockpile strings, and I am running out!

Couple of years back somebody posted a link to a site that sold strings for dirt cheap -- and they even sold individual strings as well. Being the golden standard of forethought and organization that I am, I no longer have this link. Every 5 years or so I stockpile strings, and I am running out!

In a pinch, I used 8# test mono-filament to string a banjo. Not for very long though.

A friend of mine uses JustStrings.com

There is also StringsByMail.com

Every $£ you save on strings is a £$ towards the next Gibson.

I think Gibson should sell us members cheap strings for being loyal. Yes?

I would never buy a Gibson new. Prices are artificially inflated.

Always wondered why anybody would you buy a premium guitar and then put the cheapest strings you can buy on it?

Lowest-priced strings.

Always wondered why anybody would you buy a premium guitar and then put the cheapest strings you can buy on it?

I like Dunlops the best. I have to change strings a lot because I have acidic sweat, doesn't matter if its Titanium Slinkys, coated Elixirs or whatever. I don't like D'Addarios and will never buy them. Dunlops and Slinkys work for me.

Its not going with the cheapest, I just try to buy them when they go on sale or buy in bulk

That's the question - I have friends that do it and it comes up here fairly often on strings and cables. The question is always where can I find the cheapest guitar strings or other component. I always wonder why? If you go out and buy a premium Gibson guitar and/or a high dollar amp don't you lose any quality sound that you might have gotten by getting the cheapest strings you can find. Same question when somebody goes out and buys a really expensive guitar and a nice amp and then plays it through a $6.00 guitar cable, I just kind of wonder why?

That's the question - I have friends that do it and it comes up here fairly often on strings and cables. The question is always where can I find the cheapest guitar strings or other component. I always wonder why? If you go out and buy a premium Gibson guitar and/or a high dollar amp don't you lose any quality sound that you might have gotten by getting the cheapest strings you can find. Same question when somebody goes out and buys a really expensive guitar and a nice amp and then plays it through a $6.00 guitar cable, I just kind of wonder why?

I can see you point on cables, as there are a number of cheap quality cable makers out there, but for strings what manufactures are making "cheap quality" strings? Many string makers are known common brands, Dean Markley, Erniball, GHS, Fender, Gibson, Dunlop, D'Addario, and so on. Even the lower priced strings are high quality IMHO. What brand would you consider low quality string makers?

Cuz as long as they don't buzz, el cheapo cables are equally functional.

A high end guitar is just a piece of jewelry.

Tone is in the fingertips.

Archived