Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your favourite amp?

cam011235

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the sounds of vintage amps rather than the high-gain wall breakers that are popular these days.I have 3 older Marshalls,a 1983JCM 800 2204 stack,an '84 JCM 800 4210 1X12 combo and a 1971 Artiste model 2040 with 2-12 Celestion Greenbacks.I also have a 1969 Fender Bassman head with a 1968 2-15 driprail cabinet.These amps all have the classic warmth that made Marshall and Fender tube amps popular although the 4210 can create some pretty mean raunch in the meantime.

I have a Hy-brid amp solely because it has the tube in the power amp and not in the preamp as do most hybrids.That amp is a Vox AD120VTH with a 4-12 BN cab,This amp has models of some of the most desireable classic amps with an uncanny realism so if I want a Fender Twin or Vox AC30 all I have to do is dial it in and there it is.

Where I'm mostly an analogue guy vintage is about the only way to go for me.The uber crunch/raunch amps of today disguise and destroy the notes and as far as I'm concerned just cover mistakes better for sloppy players.Give me an old amp with a mellow,warm overdriven tone any day.

I have my own amp design ready to be built.........It will never be built though......

I'm still adding to my recording studio.......Plus, my new guitar once every other month habit is still happenin'.....[thumbup]:rolleyes:[flapper] .....

This is my main rig. I love my Traynor YCS50H and Traynor 2x12 cab. I also have a Vox AC15VR hybrid amp which I find sounds quite nice and wouldn't mind getting my hands on some lower wattage stuff. Maybe a Fender Champ 600 or a Marshall Class 5. I also wouldn't mind one of those Laney Cub Series amps. I noticed some of them had 2 input jacks... one for full power and the other either 1 watt or 5 watt depending on the size of the amp.

my rig, pic posted in another post

theres some awesome gear and rigs here..love it

Yea??? here are some pics I found in my laptop.

My early 70s les paul custom

p9140205.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-09-14

My 1982 Fender Super Champ

p8190113i.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-03

My 2006 les paul standard

p7230030.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-10-15

A strat orgy :)

p8140098.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-29

My sg classic

p6080176.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2009-09-05

I have plenty more pics, but must get back to work now [flapper]

I gotta tell, I've got one of these in the shop right. I friand built the kit and asked me to sort out a few bugs with it. It's up a running now and it's a killer little 5W amp. For $215 it's hard to beat.

http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/amp_parts/K-MOD102

that looks cool a nice little 5 watt el34 for the home really good idea and at the price of a practice amp..good stuff

love it ..brings back alot of good memories..they have awesome tone..looks heavy those 2x12s are hard to get around..i used to have 2x12 deville weighed a ton but great tone..very loud those 6l6s..i got celestion vintage in my combo and thats bad enough ..

one thing i loved about the music mans in those days was the overdrive ..man they were great amps

21265.jpg

IT STILL IS!!! [tongue]

with this:

DSCN1748.jpg

OR this:

Rickenbacker-1.jpg

[love]

Archived