Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your favourite amp?

cam011235

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since March 1980 I've been playing a Music Man 2x12 '65' which has been more than capable for all my needs. It's a hybrid s/s pre- ; valve power- design. It was conceived as Leo Fender's own attempt to improve on his Fender Twin Reverb. I think he succeded.

It can do everything from pure and clean to the most wonderful overdrive - and at very low volume levels to boot. It also has a built in spring reverb and tremolo effects channel (which is double the amount of effects I need...)

The only real downside is its weight; it weighs 60lb.

P.

its hard to choose but i think if i had to choose one it would be this a Bogner-Uberschall..

I got a Bogner designed line 6 valve combo but would love one of these

a les paul into one of these unbelievable ..pity the head only costs $4000 [scared] but they sound incredible [thumbup]

Bogner-Uberschall.jpg

uber amp

Since March 1980 I've been playing a Music Man 2x12 '65' which has been more than capable for all my needs.

P.

that brings back some memories i was using a music man head when i was young fellow when leo first started producing them..they really are superb amps that is great you got one..they had the best rep in the 70s and 80s

that brings back some memories i was using a music man head when i was young fellow when leo first started producing them..they really are superb amps that is great you got one..they had the best rep in the 70s and 80s

I'm often surprised by just how many players have owned them (or even still do). Clapton, Knopfler, Gilmour etc... all used them in Music Man's heyday. There's an interesting topic somewhere on the web discussing the 'Clapton Mod' where he had some wiring trickery going on...

Mine is one of the last of the first series ('74 - '79) with the silver plaques before they developed the RD and RP series. I bought it 'new-ex-shop-demo' when my mid '60s Marshall 2x10 combo packed in. With the benefit of hindsight, of course, I wish I had kept the Marshall, too, but I sold it for about £10 ($15) as I needed the space in my room...........#-o](*,)

P.

Maybe I am a bit conservative, but nothing I´ve heard is better than a good Marshall amp to my ears. I am pleased with the one I have, a JCM 800/2203. When it comes to singlecoils I also like to use my Laneycombo amp. Sounds great in the "twaangsound-area", but on the downside its very noisy.

Marshall MB4410. A great bottom, very versatile settings. 300 Watts @ 4 ohms. 450 Watts @ 2 ohms, with an external 4 ohm cab plugged into it. It sounds great with any type of bass I've run through it.

DSCN0382-2.jpg

SNAP !

[thumbup]

P.

love it ..brings back alot of good memories..they have awesome tone..looks heavy those 2x12s are hard to get around..i used to have 2x12 deville weighed a ton but great tone..very loud those 6l6s..i got celestion vintage in my combo and thats bad enough ..

one thing i loved about the music mans in those days was the overdrive ..man they were great amps

one thing i loved about the music mans in those days was the overdrive ..man they were great amps

Interesting you mention that.......

On another forum I had been asked, by an owner of a later 'One-Thirty 2x12 RD', to provide a sound-clip showing what level of overdrive I was getting at low volume levels. My response was met with a fair amount of incredulity. To get that level of overdrive, he responded, HIS amp would be rattling the window-frames. Of the houses across the street.

Another, very well informed, member who understands circuit diagrams posted a reply which explained how, on the '74-'79 amps, Leo Fender had arranged the bits'n'bobs along with four separate overdrive sections to allow for full valve-overdrive at any volume level. I can post a link to (that fairly hastily-prepared) said demo if anyone is remotely interested.

P.

Archived