Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your favourite amp?

cam011235

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm gonna be the elderly minority here again but... I really don't much care.

I loved the combination of weight and power as well as true versatility of the old Fender Deluxe Reverb I got in late 65. It was loud enough for a rock band in "the day," and for a solo gig I could plug a mike into one channel and the guitar into another. And I could carry it.

Raw power at the edge of what a guy can carry without roadies? My 120-watt AIMS Dual 12. Same basic concept as the DR or Twin Reverb but a bit fancier and it is hugely loud. And heavy. Around 90 pounds ready to carry to a gig. Needless to say it's remained in the house for the past number of years.

My little 30-watt AE with a 10-inch speaker is enough for a small saloon doing anything from rock to country to blues. It's enough it doesn't even need to be miked for a solo jazz thing in a 500+ theater. It'll even do a solo small saloon gig with its mike section and guitar section having separate inputs kinda like the way the old DR worked.

I just am getting back my ancient Bassman from my baby bro. I have the head that seems to weigh more than my 30-watt SS combo.

But really... for what I'm doing a PA and/or a powered speaker would generally be enough.

I don't care for amps with one "in" even if they have enough power to blow down the walls. I think a smaller amp and a decent PA makes better sense regardless, especially if you're talking saloon gigs.

And I also think "we" get too much into the specific amp rather than thinking "total sound."

m

2719889380100337768S600x600Q85.jpg

Look at that...two Solid State Fender Stage Amps. Yeah, very responsive (as in Not Sluggish), very powerful, very reliable (as in I backed my truck into one of them and it still works), a small footprint for the Stage, and now that I regrilled them with some Paisley off cuts from the fabric store they look good, too. [thumbup]

Oh yeah, the best part is they were both Ebay Scores, so they were very reasonable.

It may seem a little cliche but my favorite will always be a Marshall 2203 with 6550s. Nothin' like it. Perfect amount of gain ( at least for me ), nice low-end, good jangle, and BALLSY. And they take pedals so well. As for high-gain amps Soldano gets my pick. I like Peavey 5150/6505 amps too though. Bogners and Splawns are great as well. I'm not really a Boogie guy. Rectifiers don't sound great to me, and they're hard to dial in. The Mark series amps are okay I guess. For small amps I like either Dr. Z or Divided by 13. 65Amps are okay. Carrs are pretty cool, and so are the 3 Monkeys amps. But for me, nothin' beats either a Les Paul or SG plugged into a 2203 800 w. 6550s punishing a Marshall 4x12 w. EV EVM12Ls or Emminence Legends. Nice and crunchy, but not too gainy. Oh, and a Tube Screamer for some extra intestinal fortitude, as I like to say....

Interesting you mention that.......

four separate overdrive sections to allow for full valve-overdrive at any volume level. I can post a link to (that fairly hastily-prepared) said demo if anyone is remotely interested.

P.

thats interesting i seem to remember that maybe part of the reason i like it so much it is very appealing as many valves are sluggish at low levels...my last amp was 100 watts and i just got sick of it for playing at home..i really have started to go more towards fewer watts currently my main amp is 40 watts with 2 6L6s still plenty of power has a DI plus miked up to PA sounds great..perfect for home recording and small gigs

i would like to see that link if thats cool i have such good memories of these amps they really stand out as exceptional..the drive on them is sublimne

My Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 sounds fantastic! I really love the sound of just about any Fender tube amp.

i agree with you i used to have a deville 212 they are wonderful amps great tone and very powerful .fender amps often have this trait and are very powerful amps and great tone...i have seen big name players using devilles and at big shows in large arenas the guitarist having a single 60 watt deville miked up ..as you would know they are very loud amps...but their tone is superb [thumbup]

Wouldn't Mind a Bogner half stack or a MESA half stack.

I'm currently using this little marshall stack.

Amp.jpg

Marshall 3310 100W Mosfet mini head and a 1965A 4X10 cab with 4 30W Celestions.

Main thing I like abut it is the punchy quad sound, unbelievable volume and portability

I could go on and on about these two amps.

The Fender Two-tone is a great Blues Jr. with a 10x12 speaker set up. While it isn't the amp I play the most, it is however the amp I take out the most.

The Gibson GA-5 is so nice. It's my most played amplifier. The cleans are great.

Snapshot2009-01-1508-34-06-1.jpg

I also like the Fender Deluxe I own. This amp really chimes too. That's because of the maple cabinet and the Celestian Blue Alnico speaker in it.

Snapshot2010-06-2520-33-33.jpg

I could go on and on about these two amps.

The Fender Two-tone is a great Blues Jr. with a 10x12 speaker set up. While it isn't the amp I play the most, it is however the amp I take out the most.

The Gibson GA-5 is so nice. It's my most played amplifier. The cleans are great.

Snapshot2009-01-1508-34-06-1.jpg

I also like the Fender Deluxe I own. This amp really chimes too. That's because of the maple cabinet and the Celestian Blue Alnico speaker in it.

Snapshot2010-06-2520-33-33.jpg

But all those amps are so small! What happens when you want/need to be LOUD!!!??? msp_confused.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_confused.gif

But all those amps are so small! What happens when you want/need to be LOUD!!!??? msp_confused.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_confused.gif

You've never heard CaliMan play ??? Shame.....Some players are so smokin' hot, they only need a small amp.......

CaliforniaMan is one of THOSE players..[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ...Besides, that 57 gets plenty loud.......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ....

Archived