Gibson Brands Forums

How do you define "corporate rock?"

brundaddy

IMHO, corporate rock.........Many bands these days are well structured businesses....KISS, The Eagles, etc etc...........

IMHO, as long as the music doesn't s*ck too bad, it's a good and smart thing........Bon Jovi is one of the best insofar as being a business...

ALL songwriting credits go to Bon Jovi himself, and ALL band members are listed as employees.....Very smart, and well run.......................

However, I don't like their music.................................

"corporate rock" is a funny thing. Is it a style? Is it a business model?

Seems like people know it when they see it but it's very tricky to define. Like "******b@g" -- another tricky one there.

It got me thinking cuz a guy I know has gone on anti-"Corporate Rock" diatribes, has some song he sings all snarly with a chorus putting down "corporate rock and roll" -- but he slavishly worships KISS and obediently buys/collects every trinket of KISS crap he can get. I think he's actually planning to do a museum of it, for real.

He bristled when I asked him, "I thought you were anti-'corporate rock'?"

To me, KISS is the gold standard of corporate rock but it seems open to interpretation?

some bands start of well then sort of lose it go commercial..but some bands actually really improve and evolve ..i guess theres a difference between being an artist and a business person..i mean what goes on their head writing songs for profits..what are they thinking will make the bucks...how does that compromise your soul and creative integrity? do you become a lesser person for doing the sell out?

does a genuinely good creative artist have the ability to write music so well that it will appeal to a large percentage of people with out corporate sell out mentality...maintaining integrity as a person and making quality music that can be enjoyed by people beyond a 'target market'

TSO (Trans Siberrean Orchestra). Don't get me wrong, they're great. But, with two bands, playing the same show, touring simultaneously, in different cities, they are the perfect example of a "Corporate Band". The main song-writer / organizer travels with one band, while the other band has equally talented musicians touring in other places.

They even hold annual auditions for back-up musicians/singers to fill in places on their tours. Very corporation like but they put on a great show.

Archived