Gibson Brands Forums

business cards

Silenced Fred

I'm looking at having some made up (250-500) for personal use just with my name, phone number, email and music website to hand out to venues and stuff. Yeah I know, I'm weird I want business cards, but whatever man, I think its more professional than a lot of other things.

Anyone know a good place online for designing and ordering? Not like vistaprint or anything, because they suck. The card would be fairly plain, no stupid graphics and it should look kinda classy.

Just wondering if anyone has somewhere they get business cards from. Nowhere good local, I might just wait til I move back to Chicago

I used to work for Tim and DeeDee 7-8 years ago here http://www.houseofcardsusa.com/ and then moved back to Missouri.

They will make anything you want and as few (250) or as many as you want. They used to have decent prices. Raised lettering (thermo), regular flat printing, and foil in any color(s).

Consult your local Yellow Pages. Better yet, hang out in the parking lot of a Wilco Show, I'm sure you'll meet some young Hippie that has a Printing Shop as a front for his Weed Sales. Probably give you a pretty good deal on a T-Shirt with your Face on it as well.

A lot of people think the business card is dead but there not you just have to be creative. That said there's not much you can do that screams lame faster than a bad or cheap business card and if it's a personal card (not a company issued card) make them cool do something fun like a half size mini cards or Moo cards that's pretty much become the standard in the artist world.

Check out Moo.com if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Cards certainty aren't dead, if I go somewhere in person trying to get a gig they always ask for a card.

I was half kidding about the Weed Front, you could probably find a good deal from a small time printer, just check out their work first (even if it is a small time print shop in Chicago you should be able to do business over the internet an telephone). We get our stickers from a local guy that does better than the big places, he'll be handling our next batch of cards, as well. Which reminds me, don't over order. We still have cards with our useless Myspace Address on them [cursing]

I was handed a business card 10 months ago that advertised a Bluegrass festival. The festival has been going on for 2 years. I had always intended to go, but forgot. Then THIS year, I pulled the card out of my wallet, every so often, to remind myself of the date. I made it to the festival and had a ball.

Never under estimate the power of a business card.

Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than the 2" x 3.5". It is sized to fit in a wallet. Any smaller and it will either get lost or overlooked then tossed out with the usual wallet flotsam that accumulates. I wouldn't go larger than a credit card.

Colors and graphics are nice, but a crisp white, neatly fonted, uncluttered, possibly with a black border, is classy and gets noticed.

Home made ones for one time events are okay as long as they are neat and to the point. But for a professional look, avoid perforated edges.

I'm not impressed with the folded variety. If you can't say it in a 2" x 3.5" space, you should put it into a full color brochure.

This is me:

This is what I do in 10 words or less:

This is how to contact me:

That's it.

A lot of people think the business card is dead but there not you just have to be creative. That said there's not much you can do that screams lame faster than a bad or cheap business card and if it's a personal card (not a company issued card) make them cool do something fun like a half size mini cards or Moo cards that's pretty much become the standard in the artist world.

Check out Moo.com if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I hear you. I talked to my dad and he was pretty happy with this place just outside of Chicago that's pretty cheap. I ordered 250 from a website for 3.99 shipped. Just plain white with my name and contact info for right now. I'll get better ones later. I went to a couple websites and some of the designs people use for business cards now are just awesome

Carpenters, Anne Murray, John Denver, patriotic marching music.

That's not even good enough to be considered dad rock [smile]

You come from good stock FuzzyFred. If I didn't know better I'd say I was your dad.

However, a little bit of Anne Murray goes a long way. I cut my teeth on John Denver music.

You come from good stock FuzzyFred. If I didn't know better I'd say I was your dad.

However, a little bit of Anne Murray goes a long way. I cut my teeth on John Denver music.

I grind my teeth to John Denver music [flapper]

I get a lot of my musical tastes from my mom. She really turned me onto singer songwriters, and got me into Elvis Costello and a lot of "my classics" and I use that term loosely

She actually told me about Wilco when I first started listening a couple years ago, so does that mean they're mom rock? :rolleyes:

I'm looking at having some made up (250-500) for personal use just with my name, phone number, email and music website to hand out to venues and stuff. Yeah I know, I'm weird I want business cards, but whatever man, I think its more professional than a lot of other things.

Anyone know a good place online for designing and

ordering? Not like vistaprint or anything, because they suck. The card would be fairly plain, no stupid graphics and it should look kinda classy.

Just wondering if anyone has somewhere they get business cards from. Nowhere good local, I might just wait til I move back to Chicago

Fred

I have just the thing for you! I use the site cdbaby. They print what are called download cards.

As well as having your details on there such as website, contact details etc, there is a code on the back the person can type in where you music is kept and access your song/songs. It is a great novelty too as your card also unlocks how you actually sound too! So you can use them for a variety of purposes!

I ordered a batch recently and they are nifty little fellas :)

I know the traditional cd for sales at gigs isn't by any means finished, but having said that, the download card is cool, cheap to produce, cheap for the customer to purchase and I think reaches out to people who are into

downloads etc.

Matt

Archived