Gibson Brands Forums

Panic attack from spending what I don't have!

ksdaddy

I couldn't afford this but I got swept up in the moment. I'll be taking plenty of Geritol because I'll need to sell some blood. Maybe a kidney too.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a lot of money and the only reason I got it this cheap was because it's all beat to crap, but sometimes those are the ones that are most magic.

Ehhh.... what the heck. It's only money. Maybe paying for THIS one will be the poke I need to thin the herd.

The Dove

Okay, now calm down. That's a good deal because you have the wherewithall to fix it up. You basically got it for a song and you'll have it looking better than that in short enough time. If you like the sound of it, great! If you don't, you fix it up and sell it for more money. Kidneys intact!! Of course, we'll all want to know how it sounds when you get it. What's the deal with that saddle?

Oh that's the tone killing tune-o-matic from the 60s. Or so it is reported. Who knows? All I can figure is SOMEONE must have liked it with all the battle scars.

I stuck that Framus back on ebay with a buy it now of a hundred bucks and it lasted about four minutes, so there's $100 I don't have to think about.

Now THAT is what I call mojo, and then some.

Some of the other stuff they are putting up, acoustics and electrics, are pretty cool guitars too.

Any idea what the back-story is - looks like the house clearance of my dreams.....

Nice buy, ksd, the restoration is worthy of an entire website or book. We wait with bated breath.

From Palm Harbor to Caribou. Keep it warm! I wonder where else it's been. I'm very interested in your opinions regarding sound and playability before any restoration. I've occasionally been tempted by similar type gems, and always wondered what I missed out on.

Colin

Nice one KSD. Like everyone else, can't wait to see the end product after you've weaved your magic.

As for the price, that's got to be a bargain. I wouldn't have had the balls to buy it as I don't know enough about repairing.

Global financial crisis or not, your bound to make a turn on that one.

What's your shipping costs to the UK?

I think you got a hell of a deal KSD! Over the summer I got to play a 1964 Dove that was in similar shape. The one I played had been El Kabonged over the owners head by his "EX" wife, it needed a neck reset badly and had action that would rival a compound bow, but such a sweet sound coming out of that beat up, badly repaired guitar was worth 2-3 times what you just paid. I too will wait to see how she rises from the grave so to speak under your magic hands.......... Keep us posted.

Here is the one I played:

GibsonDove1965.jpg

It sounded even better with the owner playing along on it and me on my Advanced Jumbo Gibby!!!

PaulPat.jpg

The cosmetic repairs needed are pretty overwhelming as you can see by the photos. This wouldn't be the first time I've been faced with bashed in corners or potentiometer holes but given what it is, extra care needs to be taken. I look at something like this as cleaning the Mona Lisa. Sometimes it's a tough call as to how far to take a repair and I will use the least intrusive methods and make the best of what's there. For example I will likely graft in a small disc of spruce where the holes are in the top and I will dye some lacquer to try and disguise it but I will stop at that point, even knowing the repair will be visible. Hopefully it won't negatively affect the overall patina. I guess my point is that damage is one thing, an obvious repair is another.

I couldn't afford this but I got swept up in the moment. I'll be taking plenty of Geritol because I'll need to sell some blood. Maybe a kidney too.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a lot of money and the only reason I got it this cheap was because it's all beat to crap' date=' but sometimes those are the ones that are most magic.

Ehhh.... what the heck. It's only money. Maybe paying for THIS one will be the poke I need to thin the herd.

The Dove

Looks like she's been rode hard a put up wet, then kicked in the kiester for good measure. But... sometimes a man has to lay down the law to keep 'er in line.

This'll be a fun re-store. Are those pickguard screws original?

Oh that's the tone killing tune-o-matic from the 60s. Or so it is reported. Who knows? All I can figure is SOMEONE must have liked it with all the battle scars.

I stuck that Framus back on ebay with a buy it now of a hundred bucks and it lasted about four minutes' date=' so there's $100 I don't have to think about.[/quote']

It's amazing what a little 'bling' will do the the saleabilty of an otherwise pile of kindling!

Archived