Gibson Brands Forums

Why the extra 10 BPM?

Riffster

Often bands play some songs live and they up the tempo by around 10 BPMs.

I understand that may work for a band that plays weddings or something like that but why do pro bands do it?

Notably, Rainbow's Man on the Silver Mountain, great classic track with a great tempo that works, then I hear Rainbow live and they are rushing through the song, a song thta is not meant to be rushed. This is one of the few times that I adjust the speed of my turntable.

In general though, does anybody know why bands/artists increase the tempo on some songs when played live?

gets people moving

I don't know if you play live or not, but sometimes, changing things up a bit brings a new life to a song. Sometimes a song that you might be sick of, you tweak it a little bit, and then you find a new love in it. My old band had one song like that, we would kick it up when we played it live, then added a slower bridge for that atmospheric-y type of stuff and kept the song about the same length

I understand that may work for a band that plays weddings or something like that but why do pro bands do it?

Notably, Rainbow's Man on the Silver Mountain, great classic track with a great tempo that works, then I hear Rainbow live and they are rushing through the song, a song thta is not meant to be rushed. This is one of the few times that I adjust the speed of my turntable.

In general though, does anybody know why bands/artists increase the tempo on some songs when played live?

my opinion: bad drumming. [biggrin]

A great bassist coupled with a great drummer control the pace of the whole band: rushing is quite common when that "lock" is missing too.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad drummer in action: it could also be attributed to adrenaline, excitement, drugs, etc. :)

I hate when they speed things up. It makes the song sound "cheap" to my ears. Takes away the groove and the richness of the tunes. I also hate when singers "talk" through the song. I'd rather just go home than stay and listen.

Now I did see one band where they would speed up and slow down during a song. It was done on purpose and gave the tune a roller-coaster effect. That worked well. Very cool effect, though it wouldn't work with everything.

I wanted to think that there was a technical answer,

I get the increase in tempo on the Chicken Dance,

I don't get the increase on tempo on songs that actually are good because of their normal tempo.

What puzzles me even more when I hear the adrenalin explanation is that the very next song the band plays is at normal tempo and so it the song preceding. This is why I don't get this explanation, can you choose a single song to let the adrenalin run free?

I wanted to think that there was a technical answer,

I get the increase in tempo on the Chicken Dance,

I don't get the increase on tempo on songs that actually are good because of their normal tempo.

What puzzles me even more when I hear the adrenalin explanation is that the very next song the band plays is at normal tempo and so it the song preceding. This is why I don't get this explanation, can you choose a single song to let the adrenalin run free?

I don't think it so much choosing which song to let the adrenalin run high as much as anticipating the excitement from the crowd.

Of course for some groups it may be that they have a lot of songs to go thru and one way to accomplish that is to speed up the song. The other choice is a medley of greatest hits - I hate that.

Or another thing that is frustrating is when a lead guitarist decides to veer from the original solo to the point that it's almost unrecognizable. People are there to hear the licks and riffs they've come to know. I am all for a musician getting creative, and improvising, but they really should leave the foundation of the solo intact.

Archived