Gibson Brands Forums

Question for YouTube players...

ShredAstaire

Hey guys...here's something I always wondered that maybe some of you can provide your insight on...

In 99% of YouTube guitar videos, the camera is pointed at the guitar and the players head and legs are cut off...

Is it an anonymity thing? A shy thing? A privacy thing?

I'm guilty of it in some of my earlier videos...most are no longer on YouTube, but i've always wondered. I always considered guitarists to be confident (arrogant?) and a little bit show-offish... :)

I don't do a whole lot of guitar vids on YouTube but when I do, its usually me sitting, showing my upper body with my ugly mug or i'm standing and you can see all of me. Even if I am bad, there's no reason for me to be anonymous.

Just curious...thoughts?

I'd rather look at the Guitar than the persons face, so I assumed everyone else felt the same. Turned out most people would rather look at your face.

If it's a video meant to share with other guitar player It's all guitar so they can see it better.

Generally speaking, there are rules for cinematographer (videographer) to shoot the musicians during their performance, I am a little familiar with it. By the way, there is nothing difficult in this. Of course the operator should show the whole band or a man with his face to represent their. A singer sings - so, it is necessary to show (to shoot) him and his face. But when it comes to the fragment of solo, for example, of leader guitar it is necessary to show the guitar close-up and fingers of guitar player how he plays, i.e. only in this moment the whole guitar in detail. If music thing is completely guitar - it does not negate the rule to represent the guitarist as a person. And the guitar close-up etc. it may be shown in time of some interesting solo-fragments. But, of course, more often professionals of cinema know about it.

By the way, now in YouTube with so many clips who will take these non-difficult rules he will win more. :)

unless its a hot girl, i don't want to see some guy making blues solo faces for 4 minutes

This, the only other thing that I don't like is the multibox views all at once in a video. If I want to listen/see someone perform I don't need a mini box stuck on the side with a closeup of your fretting hand. I feel it distracts from the performance. Anyone remember the big headstock mounted camera phase that was going on for a while?

Well heres my ugly face for ya, trying to learn Girls got rhythm-ac-dc. Need more time to get it right, have worked with it a little week. MAN I NEED TIME TO GET IT RIGHT ARGHHH!!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dRQY7mA33c&feature=player_detailpage

Great Tone Sellen! The timing is always tricky, do you use a metronome when you're practicing it out?

I'd rather look at the Guitar than the persons face, so I assumed everyone else felt the same. Turned out most people would rather look at your face.

If it's a video meant to share with other guitar player It's all guitar so they can see it better.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]=D> =D> =D>

Spot on! When I shoot a "demo" video, I'm demonstrating the guitar. I will, on some occasion show my mug, but that is only when I'm speaking about the guitar or just got lazy editing it out. When I do a google search or a search in youtube about a particular gear, I want to see the item up close and listen to the tone samples. I could care less on what person looks like...............I guess I don't swing that way [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Archived