Gibson Brands Forums

1 watt goodness

Tim Plains

Cool little amps.........

I have the rare "Damian Dudetone" uber micro amp......1/16, 1/8, and 1/6 watt settings...Class A/B with tube rectifier, tone, top boost, and uber gain controls........

microamp003.jpg

microamp002.jpg

microamp001.jpg

Speaking of small amps, a few weeks back I bought a Roland Street Cube amp. Very portable and light-weight, and it kicks-butt in the sound department. I think its has two 5-watt speakers and the sound is truly good. Lots of volumn and effects. I used to be hesitant to buy something small, but no longer. It is incredible what the "right" mini combination of electronics can do for a street musician.

Neat! Can we hear it?

There was a thread here a long time ago with a kid playing his gold top Les Paul. Great technical player (from what I remember) but a lot of people criticized him for not playing with soul. I don't post clips because of the negativity, sorry. Red Iron has a few tracks on their website. http://www.redironamps.com/amplilmo.html

Very cool and you'll have a blast with it, I don't have that model I have the small ZVEX similar amp. I even got the lunchbox cab so I could have a tiny stack which is a blast at practice.

Gotta admit there little five watt one looks cool though.

That's another one I considered. How is it? I heard changing tubes is a pain.

I have the rare "Damian Dudetone" uber micro amp......1/16, 1/8, and 1/6 watt settings...Class A/B with tube rectifier, tone, top boost, and uber gain controls........

It's a real amp? Can't be. I thought that was a bag of grass on the right at first. [lol]

Is that a tube amp without transformers?

You're asking the wrong guy. I know nothing about how stuff works. I just plug in and play. [biggrin]

c9e2433f.jpg

i love tiny tube amps. i have a kustom 5 watt defender, and once i replaced the crappy power tube and 12 ax7 in it. it sounds awesome. way louder then you would think. but still a wicked punch and a fist full of drive.

and to the op

that thing on the bottom left of the picture you posted displayin the insides. that is the transformer.

R9 Quite - That's another one I considered. How is it? I heard changing tubes is a pain.

Yep the ZVEX is is supposedly really tough to replace tubes on apparently the tubes leads have to be straightened and then bent in a very specific pattern or it's impossible to replace them. When I got mine 6-7 years ago it came with a extra set of tubes and a small tool made to align and size the tubes if needed. I don't know how hard it is though as honestly mines never had a issue with a tube or anything else for that matter.

I also have a small ImpAmp also from ZVEX which is a small stereo amp that I run a IPOD through it's on 3-4 hours a day everyday at the minimum and it's going on it's third year again with no issues Like the nano amp I have a extra set of tubes and tool for it also but have never tried to change anything there either.

Red Iron Lil Mo. I'm still getting to know it but it's a cool sounding little amp.

Point-to point and the only one with a tube rectifier. [thumbup]

Very sharp Tim, I must be missing something but how come the one on the website does not have the rectifier tube?

He just told you...his is the only one with a tube rectifier.

I picked up a few of these for presents a while back... 1 watt, no controls, the volume on your guitar controls the amp. Low guitar volume=clean sound, high guitar volume=distorted sound. Fun little amp, sounds like crap from the little speaker in the cigarette pack but it has an output jack and you can plug into any 10" or 12" cabinet and it sounds pretty good... For home use of course...

CIMG4593.jpg

I picked up a few of these for presents a while back... 1 watt, no controls, the volume on your guitar controls the amp. Low guitar volume=clean sound, high guitar volume=distorted sound. Fun little amp, sounds like crap from the little speaker in the cigarette pack but it has an output jack and you can plug into any 10" or 12" cabinet and it sounds pretty good... For home use of course...

CIMG4593.jpg

Let me guess; Class A [flapper] , filtered incoming power, it has smokin' tone, lasts for twenty songs, easy to PACK, and it has a "Full Flavor/Light" switch....

Speaking of small amps, a few weeks back I bought a Roland Street Cube amp. Very portable and light-weight, and it kicks-butt in the sound department. I think its has two 5-watt speakers and the sound is truly good. Lots of volumn and effects. I used to be hesitant to buy something small, but no longer. It is incredible what the "right" mini combination of electronics can do for a street musician.

I have one too....it is incredible !!

The optimised projection of the speakers shows real design flair

And almost unbelievably a seperate PA channel for vocals....

Buskers are now well catered for...

V

:-({|=

He just told you...his is the only one with a tube rectifier.

I thought he meant the only small amp model with a tube rectifier, i read the thread initially but posted a response later.

in my defense, i have a 3 week old baby and i am so sleep deprived my brain is working funny....when it does at all

Archived