Gibson Brands Forums

The Big Four

Californiaman

You probably are assuming I am just a metal head because I like Thrash? you think liking Metal excludes people from liking other genres? why?

No, I said that the records I like are there and the records you like are there because there is a dizzying variety of music in the world, that each of us likes what we like and are under no obligation to explain it to anyone, and the chances of both of us randomly appearing at the Tower and both reaching for the same record, no matter what the genre, are pretty much null. I like all kindsa things and I can only assume others are the same.

I have a 600 CD collection and about 250 vinyl albums, Blues, Blues Rock, Heavy Metal and other and love Tony Bennett and Ray Charles. I don't care for Jazz much other than Ella.

Pretty much the same for me, only smaller number. No vinyl, dumped it all at the end of the 80's. That was stupid.

I'll have to look up that Judas show on cable, Palladia? VH1

On the Comcast, HDNet is the name of the network. Sunday nights they do concerts all night. Caught all of a Whitesnake hour which was excellent, Coverdale has aged pretty well and them guys were good. Reb Beach! Haven't seen him in 20 years since Winger!

rct

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real simple:

Which one of the four bands most recent releases are you most apt to listen to?

Asside from the term The Big Four, which has turned this thread into a flame-fest, what are you most apt to listen to?

I don't care if it's your style of music or not. If it isn't s.t.f.u. You don't have to reply to every post that comes down the pipe. If it's not your thing move on with yourself. Find a thread titled, "I like pop music because Justin Beeber and the Jonas Brothers, Hanah Montana, Selena Gomez, Britney Spears or Katie Perry are the best bands in the world".

I bet yer great fun at parties.

rct

never heard one anthrax or slayer song, got two megadeth albums...love metallica till i die!

metallica all day!, just like supporting your fave football/baseball team through the good and bad times...if your a REAL fan then you'l take the rough with the smooth [thumbup]

never heard one anthrax or slayer song, got two megadeth albums...love metallica till i die!

metallica all day!, just like supporting your fave football/baseball team through the good and bad times...if your a REAL fan then you'l take the rough with the smooth [thumbup]

Yes, that's why I have every Slayer album.

Steve, you should listen to the Slayer I posted. I think you'd like Slayer.

Here's probably their most famous one:

Yes, that's why I have every Slayer album.

Steve, you should listen to the Slayer I posted. I think you'd like Slayer.

Here's probably their most famous one:

solo i thought WTF!, whole sound is dated (what year is that?) how can you not like "bullet for my valentine"? they sound like a modern version of slayer (they scream about peace n love).

can you post a recent slayer song for me please?...

I like all these bands as they were big parts of my teenage years (that 's why I went to sonisphere this year :) )

my vote goes to Megadeth, because they were always walking the fine line between melody and technicity.

Most of the people around me love metallica till death but hate megadeth, I think that comes from the legend between mustaine and metallica.

Slayer Season in the abyss and live decade of agression are my prefered Slayer.

Anthrax cover's of Got the time is amazing.

Back in these years we should also mentioned the clash of the titans, in europe, that was in 1990 with Slayer, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies, and Testament.

Suicidal tendencies were unbelievable and testament was great too.

Even if now I am deep into ZZ Top, Bonamassa, Clapton and Moore, I will love metal till I die.

I bet yer great fun at parties.

rct

Always the life of the party.

That is until the fighten' starts.

Them I'm usually the bouncer who has to take out the trash.

While my taste for metal is somewhat old school, my record and cd collection spans all genres of music. Well rounded and grounded.

Back "in the day" I listened to all four those bands. I probably liked Metallica the least, and Slayer the most. These days I listen to none of them, really, but if I do get one of those bands albums out it's most likely Slayer. Slayer are also the only of those bands where I actually own all the albums. Stopped buying Metallica after Load, Megadeth after Cryptic Writings, and Anthrax after Volume 8.

Metallica just hasn't aged well for me, but as I said I weren't crazy about them to begin with. Feels pretty boring to me.

Anthrax has aged the worst. Apart from some cuts that are just fun in a cheesy kind of way (like I Am The Law) old Belladonna era Anthrax kinda gives me the same feeling of shame as that Ratt LP I own. But as a kid I thought it was pretty cool. I really like the John Bush era Anthrax though. They should have kept him in. Loved Sound of White Noise, the rest of the albums were not that great, but hey... I liked the old songs better with Bush on vocals too.

Megadeth... I really liked Killing Is My Business, some tracks on Peace Sells. Rust In Peace was great. All in all, I think I liked the guitar playing more than I liked the band as a whole. Marty Friedman's and Chris Poland's leads had a pretty big impact on me.

Slayer is... Slayer! Apart from most I know, I actually liked Divine Intervention. Hated Diabolus In Musica, and their latest album I just listened to once and went "ok, that was pretty good but I've heard it before". I think they are the band I've seen the most times live, which has ranged from "oh my god best concert ever" to "yeah, time to retire." These days I chose to remember the good parts and forgive the bad, because... it's Slayer!

As a whole though, with exception of Slayer and to some part Megadeth, the American thrash scene felt kinda dated and irrelevant by the time I got into it. Not that it sucked or anything, like I said I really enjoyed the "big four" and also Exodus and Testament(again, maybe mostly for the guitar playing though they stayed somewhat relevant with Low and Demonic morphing into a sort of death/thrash sound, which were a huge influence of the band I was in at that time), but the Death scene was already happening both locally and across the pond and I jumped straight into that instead.

And yeah, at least in Europe/Scandinavia The Big Four (of thrash) was used in magazines in the early or mid 90's.

Metal is noise. Music of my generation is better. These bands suck cuz everyone knows them. Rolling Stones blah blah...I jerk it to LZ daily. Metallica sucks cuz they're popular.

And for curiosities sake, what bands from your generation would you be talking about?

Anthrax and Megadeth would have my attention at that show. I saw Metallica back in '91 or '92, along with Suicidal Tendancies, Fight, and a handful of the Metal bands Du Jour. Using the vernacular of the day, "Metallica Blew Chucks live".

It's a Shame Suicidal isn't on the Big four bill, they were the bees knees back then.

I've seen Megadeth twice, they put on a Great Show both times.

Archived