Gibson Brands Forums

Two Gibson Archtops.........

onewilyfool

Just an update on the L-7....In my humble opinion....the L-7 is NOT just for jazz!! I can play anything on this thing.....and FYI.....it is actually EASIER to play than a Jumbo Gibson....the curved top and the narrower sides just seem to make it easier to play than the hard edged Jumbo. This thing can play LOUD...or soft...I'm just really impressed with the sound of this thing. By the way...not bad for blues either.....and of course...Great for jazz comping and leads....J45nick...you NEED to get one of these!!!!

Wily, Wily, Wily

Congrtats on the new guitar, and from your latest post, I will have to say "I TOLD YOU SO". How long have you and I been talking about this purchase.

E-mail, or PM me the serial number, I'm curious to see how close in serial numbers our '47's are. Talk about mating two guitars together, just think of the brood blondie and brownie could make.

5443652520_178567663f.jpg

Those two Blondes are Really Nice.... so is the Sunburst... That era of L7 is one of My Favorites....

Ive owned a few L2s... including a 14 Fret 1934.. Nice Guitars...

I think in 1926, Gibson went with a flattop L-2 that had a floating bridge and tail piece for one or two years, then went with the L-2 flattop style that we know and love, like the L-1 in the famous picture of Robert Johnson. According to Johnny Shines, Robert Played a Kalamazoo archtop...most likely a 14 fretter, since RJ capoed and used slide guitar a lot...

J45nick...you NEED to get one of these!!!!

Yeah, I'm actively looking for a REALLY good one. Just not gonna let you sneaky weasels know where! Found an interesting '58 L-7 CE, but he wants too much, and I'm looking for a pure acoustic one.

Yeah, I'm actively looking for a REALLY good one. Just not gonna let you sneaky weasels know where! Found an interesting '58 L-7 CE, but he wants too much, and I'm looking for a pure acoustic one.

Nick I don't see them often........but if I do. will let you know....

A very attractive pair! Thanks for the view....

Speaking of L-7's....here are two of my favorite players from the immediate post-war era.

P2070094.jpg

The black is a '45....the blonde is a '47.

Great all-purpose archtops at least for me anyway.

z

j45nick...There is an L-7, burst in great shape in a pawn shop in West Hollywood, CA Called Elliot Saltzer. I eye-balled it every time I went in. The finish is TOO perfect on it, I told Elliot I thought it was a refin, he swears it is not.

He's asking $4,000 for it believe but he's a negotiating type pawn d00d!! Actually a very good guy, lots of fun to talk to and is a decent person in a business filled with not so decent people!!

His site:

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/77867/west_hollywood_ca/elliott_salter_gives_instant.html

He hasnt put new strings on it and the ones on it would give you tetanus!

That L-2 is a rare bird in that it has all original parts, not a crack in it, the top arch is down a bit, but 3/32" at the 12th fret...no need for any work...I just love it.....here it is in action: Great plunky banjo like old timey sound!!!

OWF, that's a great song, a great guitar, and a fantastic performance.

Keep it up!

-Nick

Archived