Gibson Brands Forums

Remembering Paul Kossoff

BobB

I wouldn't say he's revered because he's dead. If you say Paul Kossoff to anyone that doesn't play guitar they'll think your talking about a College Professor or English Lit teacher.

I didn't even know he died until a couple years ago.

I would say he's a damn good guitarist who's major strength is in the Riff.

Many guitarists, and several members here state Paul as a main reason for becoming guitarists.............

Personally I find his playing elegant, eloquent, and excellent.........Too many musicians die young.............

I can't listen to him. Dreadful vibrato. I never liked him.

It's funny that when musicians die they become gods.

He's not in my eyes.

But. If we all liked the same thing, wouldn't it be a boring world?

Interesting points, lashurst.

I can assure you that he was held in very high regard even when he was still alive...

And I'm curious; what is it that you don't like about his vibrato? In fact, so 'good' was it thought to be by Eric Clapton that P.K. was asked to demonstrate his technique up-close-and-personal.

But, as you say, it's the 'different strokes' that makes the world such a fascinating place to be!

P.

I love Kossoff's style and tone. He's like many of my favorite guitar players, where he may not be technically brilliant or note-perfect. But he has (had) a great raw, organic sound. I don't know this for a fact but it looks to me like he had a big influence on Angus Young. :-k

• 3 months later...

Hello all Paul Kossoff fans,

Just wanted to post some info on the new Paul Kossoff 1959 Les Paul. For the official PDF with details/pictures, please email dustinoparker@me.com or dparker@guitarcenter.com , just in case the attachment does not work.

Gibson Custom 1959 Paul Kossoff Les Paul – PDF of details/picture attached (2 Versions)

• Aged – completely hand-aged to be an exact replica – 100 made – we have access to 8 - $10,832

• VOS – This is like an NOS Fender, replica of when it was factory new – 250 made – we have access to 28 - $7,332

NOTES: The 1959 or “R9” is the quintessential Les Paul. It’s the last year before Gibson changed their neck profile. This guitar features an awesome finish (Green Lemon), Aged Customer Buckers, and a 1-piece mahogany neck.

I can't listen to him. Dreadful vibrato. I never liked him.

It's funny that when musicians die they become gods.

He's not in my eyes.

But. If we all liked the same thing, wouldn't it be a boring world?

I'm gonna assume you're only aware of All Right Now as it plays on classic radio. I'll assume you've never heard Catch A Train, Fire And Water, Magic Ship, Travelin Man, or anything off the live album. I'll assume you've never heard of Back Street Crawler. Dreadful vibrato? I judge guitarists by their vibrato, and Kossoff is one of my favorites.

Gibson Custom 1959 Paul Kossoff Les Paul – PDF of details/picture attached (2 Versions)

• Aged – completely hand-aged to be an exact replica – 100 made – we have access to 8 - $10,832

• VOS – This is like an NOS Fender, replica of when it was factory new – 250 made – we have access to 28 - $7,332

NOTES: The 1959 or “R9” is the quintessential Les Paul. It’s the last year before Gibson changed their neck profile. This guitar features an awesome finish (Green Lemon), Aged Customer Buckers, and a 1-piece mahogany neck.

'Aged Customer Buckers'??? [laugh]

I saw Free a few times - I thought he was great when I was 15...I believe Dave Murray of Maiden bought his Strat (see cover of 'Back Street Crawler' LP).

I saw Free a few times - I thought he was great when I was 15...I believe Dave Murray of Maiden bought his Strat (see cover of 'Back Street Crawler' LP).

I'm envious.

I remember the morning at school, before class started, when a friend (another fan) told me he'd heard on the radio of Kossoff's death. It was my 'Kennedy's assassination moment', I suppose.

I find it strangely very comforting to know that Dave Murray has Koss' old Strat; Someone who will give it the appreciation it fully deserves!

Thanks for posting that tid-bit, jdgm.

P.

Archived