Gibson Brands Forums

what pedals are you using with your sg?

glider

hey guys i am new to the whole sg sound- trying to figure out what pedals might work best. I have been using a tubescream boss blues driver and mdx classic fuzz and a phaser but not exactly finding the sound i want. i love the sound of Neil Casal's sg when playing with ryan adams and i am a garcia freak... what are you using? any suggestions on new toys...

Welcome to the forums. Getting a tone that is exactly like our favorite players is a very difficult thing. You'll be able to get close, but probably won't ever be able to match it exactly.

As for pedals I use with my SG...

When I'm at a gig, I usually just plug straight into my amp. However, when I'm practicing at home, lately it's one of these two:

3303.jpg

4496.jpg

You mentioned your SG & all of your pedals, but did not say what amplifier you are using. Your amp is probably the single most important piece of gear in your signal chain, as every guitar & pedal you own gets its final voicing through the amp.

All the pedals in the world won't get "the sound" you are seeking if your amp isn't the right one for you. Your basic clean, dirty & lead sounds you desire should come from your amp, & the pedals you use will simply add a final "sheen" or "polish" to the sound.

That said, some of my favorite pedals include:

1. Ibanez Tube Screamer - great for pushing a cleaner-sounding single-channel amp into overdrive, or for getting your solo tone to cut through the mix, responsive to picking style.

2. Dunlop Rotovibe - great thicker chorus tone, and my fave "Univibe" sound, but this pedal must be run through a true bypass loop to keep it from messing with your signal when it's off.

3. Boss CE-5 Chorus - great modern chorus, especially nice to use for glassy clean tones.

4. MXR Phase 90 Phaser - a true classic - simple one knob phaser pedal delivers thick, rich phasing at a great price.

5. Dunlop "Crybaby from Hell" Wah Pedal - multiple voicing options, selectable boost, versatality and ease of setup make this my favorite wah pedal.

6. Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz - a great sounding fuzz with many tweakable parameters, lets you dial in the exact fuzz voicing you are looking for.

7. Boss BF-3 Flanger - a thick & swirly sounding flanger with inputs for guitar or bass, and a wide range of adjustability.

8. Danelectro Dan-Echo Digital Delay - a great sounding inexpensive delay pedal with both vintage & modern voicing options, and a superb slapback rockabilly tone when needed.

Guest BentonC

I always love a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive 2. I also really like the Klon through some amps, and just tried out a Barber LTD and really liked it too.

hey thanks for the info- as for amps i am playing thru a usa Fender tweed blues deluxe. any feedback on how to properly interface the pedals and amp. I guess i am looking for general guidelines as to coordinating amp volume and pedal volume. seems like so many potential variables (guitar volume, amp volume nad pedal volume all lead to differing sounds)- i am a newbie to pedals so any short cuts will help

"Pedals" are very personal...IMHO. What trips one person's sonic trigger,

may leave someone else cold. I tend to use as few as possible, and only

when I need a specific effect for a particular song. But NOT for overall

"tone!" That should be arrived at, with your "chops, your wonderful SG,

and a Great Amp! If you know, ahead of time, what types, or particular

songs, and effects you need to get there, only then, do you go out and TRY

every pedal, within those parameters, and decide for yourself, what specific

type/brand sound best to You!

A few things, to look for, in any pedal, regardless of type or brand:

"Transparency," one that doesn't color your overal tone...unless that's

what you're after.

"quietness"...meaning as little "extra" noise, when engaged, over what you

normally get, without one, as possible.

"Construction/Components" Are the switches reliable, of robust quality,

and the housing, as well. Internal components are harder to guage, without

taking it apart, in the store (not usually allowed), but you can do some

reading, about who uses what, and what differences it may (or may not) make.

"Flexability," in that it's capable of a variety of tones/effects, within it's

own type, and how well it will work, with other's on your board, IF in fact you

use multiple pedals. Some, can actually work against one another. So, you

want to be aware, and plan/demo accordingly.

Also, try to spend as little, as you can, to get what you really want/need! Multi

hundred dollar pedals, aren't necessarily hundreds of dollars better! Some can be,

but...be sure, before you spend all that money, on a pedal you may only use, once

in a while. Marketing and Sale's people LOVE the "Snob appeal" factor. So TRY not

to let that color your perceptions.

Pedals (your choice of brand) that can be quite useful:

Overdrive/Distortion

Rotary Speaker simulator (Leslie)

Chorus

Compressor/Sustainer

There are LOTS of other's, but you may find, you can/will use those 4, in various combinations,

the most.

The biggest thing is, try many of each type, and make Your Own decision, based on how they perform

and sound to You. That, in the end, is the only thing that really counts.

Cheers, and good hunting..

CB

hi!

well ...

- morley mini-wah

- MXR distortion III

- electro harmonix neo clone

- MXR Phase 90

- Korg PitchBlack tuner

- Hardwire Tremolo/Rotary

- MXR carbon copy delay

- MXR smart gate

i am not too happy about the morley and the neo clone. otherwise, this setup delivers with my SG and MArshalls (namely the JVM) ...

yours

wolfi

Guest BentonC

I always get my amp tone first. I generally dial it in right on the edge of breakup. That way, you can use the overdrive pedal for what it should be- slamming the front end, and driving the tubes. A good overdrive pedal running into a good amp will usually clean up really well when the volume knob on the guitar is pulled back.

You mentioned your SG & all of your pedals, but did not say what amplifier you are using. Your amp is probably the single most important piece of gear in your signal chain, as every guitar & pedal you own gets its final voicing through the amp.

All the pedals in the world won't get "the sound" you are seeking if your amp isn't the right one for you. Your basic clean, dirty & lead sounds you desire should come from your amp, & the pedals you use will simply add a final "sheen" or "polish" to the sound.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I always get my amp tone first. I generally dial it in right on the edge of breakup. That way, you can use the overdrive pedal for what it should be- slamming the front end, and driving the tubes. A good overdrive pedal running into a good amp will usually clean up really well when the volume knob on the guitar is pulled back.

Me too, Benton...and I usually use a lot less "crunch" in the OD, that way, as well...to keep it

as sweet, and articulate, as possible. Almost (but, not quite) like a "Clean Boost." You know?

CB

Guest BentonC

Me too, Benton...and I usually use a lot less "crunch" in the OD, that way, as well...to keep it

as sweet, and articulate, as possible. Almost (but, not quite) like a "Clean Boost." You know?

CB

Exactly. To me, there is a huge distinction between an overdrive pedal and distortion pedal. A distortion pedal will not be nearly as transparent as a well-designed overdrive.

This is dead on, listen to this guy. After reading all of the posts, although many were thorough, this one really stands out. This is the perfect way to describe the role of an overdrive pedal.

A few guys have said this, but I would also like to reiterate the importance of dialing your amp. It took me a while to narrow it down, but now my SG through my '70 VT-22 is a combination that I would put up against any that has existed..

But I digress..back to pedals..

If you want the best the market has to offer, get a Fulltone Plimsoul. It's the only OD worthy of the spot between my axe&amp right now.

I love pedals, that said I have some great ones and some not so great ones. The great ones that are indispensable to me are my Russian green tall letter Big Muff, best sounding fuzz on the planet. I've tried a million and this is the one I always go back to. Awesome pedal, but are going for big bucks these days. Another great one is my EHX deluxe memory man with hazarai, really awesome pedal with a million crazy sounds locked in it. It can be a challenge to tweak it to get just the perfect sound, but the effort is worth it. Fulltone Tape echo. This is amazing! AMAZING! Even when it's not in use it's warming up your sound, and the echo is so lush and spectacular. It's expensive, but it's worth it! I have a vintage MXR phase 90 that is cool, but one problem I've had with it, and I've had 2 vintage ones, is that it tends to distort your clean sound a little bit, but not in a good way. I also use a first generation EHX POG which is cool, but I only use it for very specific stuff. Not really an all purpose pedal, but it's not supposed to be. I just recently picked up an OCD and that pedal is very ok, but I find it kind of sucks out my bass frequencies which I'm not a huge fan of. Thinking of selling it and getting a Lovetone Kalamazoo. I've had a digitech Whammy pedal that broke and that was a really cool pedal, but I've never replaced it, so there you go. Also the zvex seekwah is a killer pedal. Really neat textures with that puppy. My original crybaby is only so so, I would LOVE to get an old MuTron Wah, those are really, really cool!

Archived