Gibson Brands Forums

What Ever Happened To...

Californiaman

I played a gig at the Hard Rock in Pattaya Thailand last month, I saw that they had played there the month before. I was in the Soul Lounge but they had the "the joint" to play.

So yeah they are still going im just not sure its up......

Time for me to talk about my favorite metal band, Asphyx, again!

OK, so let's cut a long story short: they have NEVER toured the US. Martin Van Drunen toured here with Pestilence (a band which now sucks bigtime, but used to be amazing in their heyday) back in the early 90s, but never with Asphyx. The only US show they've played was at the 2009 Maryland Deathfest, in support of their album Death...The Brutal Way. I love them to pieces, so nothing could possibly please me more than to see them play a show in the US, specifically somewhere where I can see them.

To be fair, they are still touring from time to time. In fact, they're also recording a new album (Deathhammer--which can't come soon enough!) but...damnit. They only tour Europe. I hate not being a European--they have all the good metal there.

Honestly, I've never seen nor heard a more powerful band. Best yet: it's ALL DONE WITH ONE GUITARIST, ONE BASSIST AND ONE DRUMMER.

Time for me to talk about my favorite metal band, Asphyx, again!

OK, so let's cut a long story short: they have NEVER toured the US. Martin Van Drunen toured here with Pestilence (a band which now sucks bigtime, but used to be amazing in their heyday) back in the early 90s, but never with Asphyx. The only US show they've played was at the 2009 Maryland Deathfest, in support of their album Death...The Brutal Way. I love them to pieces, so nothing could possibly please me more than to see them play a show in the US, specifically somewhere where I can see them.

To be fair, they are still touring from time to time. In fact, they're also recording a new album (Deathhammer--which can't come soon enough!) but...damnit. They only tour Europe. I hate not being a European--they have all the good metal there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BbWQCgwYo&feature=related

Honestly, I've never seen nor heard a more powerful band. Best yet: it's ALL DONE WITH ONE GUITARIST, ONE BASSIST AND ONE DRUMMER.

That was actually pretty cool except for the fact that they have no singer. Liked the guitar parts though. But the drummer looked kinda bored with that slow beat he was doing.

That was actually pretty cool except for the fact that they have no singer. Liked the guitar parts though. But the drummer looked kinda bored with that slow beat he was doing.

Yeah, the vocals aren't for everyone, but at the same time I can't imagine the band's music with any other style of vocals. That's my big defense of that style in general: it opens one up to different styles of songwriting and at the same time creates a sound and atmosphere that probably couldn't be replicated through a different style. But yeah, the guitar parts in Asphyx are amazing.

As far as drumming, this one might get you more:

Archived