Gibson Brands Forums

The CD...is going bye bye?

dem00n

CD's wear down too actually...the plastic degrades.

Anyway..i love my music but i am no audiophile who cares about the difference between a lossless file (CD quality) and an AAC file. There is a minor difference to my ear and its not enough to sway me to CD only.

Just like guitars, i don't claim that NO ONE can hear a major difference....just me.

A few ideas I am thinking.

1. CDs are not the ideal physical format for digital music. Should have moved to DVD or SACD formats years ago, but low sample rate mp3s have ruined people's ears. They don't know what they are missing anymore. I have a Neil Young and Crazy Horse live album on DVD audio. Tasty.

2. What are locale bands going to do now to raise cash at shows? Put their songs on cheap thumb drives to sell? Print more t-shirts? When I was in a real band we relied on CD sales to fund recording, gig posters, and rental vans for out of town shows.

3. Major labels can go play in traffic. Their refusal to embrace digital formats lead to this state of crap we have now. CDs are a thing of the past and we have nothing comparable to replace it with.

The industry can try to force change, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Too many people have lost entire catalogs of music because of computer issues, or lost Ipods. I can''t see this going very far, it's obviously an attempt to lower record company overhead, put the consumer in a corner, and marginalize the power of the independent record label.

I hope it fails!

I can hear the difference from an MP3 to CD, i did a test once with an MP3 file i bought on Itunes and a physical CD i own. The majority of the difference is in the drums, mostly cymbals.

I agree, from a personal perpective, and from a technical perspective...................

Vinyl is good but pretty hard to take in the car with you [flapper]

I wish the Sony Minidisc would have been as popular here as it was in Japan now that a great format. I do most of my own recordings and stuff on MiniDisc. I'm not particularly sad if CD's disappeared but what I don't like is that nothing is gonna replace it this time. We will just own music in the cloud or even word we won't own music will just pay a fee every time we play a song which is what the music industry has wanted for some time. Ive heard some companies say that if you want to buy physical music in the future it will be purchased on some kind of thumb drive.

Archived