Gibson Brands Forums

MY Gibson ES-335 smells like candy!!

Kineman Karma

Everytime I open her case I can inhail the sweet smell of nitro and it's woods aroma [drool][drool]

I remember the first day I picked her up the nitro was really almost still wet.

Anyway apart from the awesome tone tone tone, I love putting my nose against her body and smelling the Gibson aroma. [love]

I know I sound like a **** head!!! but is there anyone out there that have had the same experience.

Cheers.

Yes.

It'll be off gassing for a long time if you keep it cased. . B)

I agree. I have a 2008 Custom Shop 50th Anniv Hot Rod Magazine Les Paul. There were only 150 made so I'm keeping it in new condition to preserve its value. One feature of this guitar is blued egdes around the pickup covers, I guess to simulate an exhaust pipe. This guitar probably only sees the light of day once every few months. Every time I open the case, the guitar smells like a welding shop. Luckily the smell goes away after a few minutes out in the air. I wish it smelled like candy.

HotRodBody.jpg

Sad to hear this guitar will seldom be played. Owning a guitar to NOT play it is a concept for which I have no understanding.

I agree with Larry.

I love the smell of my vintage Gibsons, by the way. I wouldn't liken it to candy, but it's a wonderful scent.

Sad to hear this guitar will seldom be played. Owning a guitar to NOT play it is a concept for which I have no understanding.

+1 Larry!

[it looks as though the shroud material is wrinkling up inside the case and leaving telltale, wavy blue-grey stains in the nitro between the pickups and behind the stopbar and tailpiece. I think the boys are correct: it needs more "air time".]

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

:blink:

[it looks as though the shroud material is wrinkling up inside the case and leaving telltale, wavy blue-grey stains in the nitro between the pickups and behind the stopbar and tailpiece. I think the boys are correct: it needs more "air time".]

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

JW, unless you're joking around, I should probably point out that it's a "hot rod" model. I think those "flames" were put there on purpose. :)

+1 Larry!

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

Sorry to be misleading. I've

Only had the guitar since May. I bought it at the bankruptcy

Auction of a major collector and many other things going on in my life have prevented me from giving this guitar it's due attention. It's not a case of neglectt, just not a chance to play. I bought 18 guitars at the auction and already had another dozen or so. 5 Les Pail's, 11 Gibson's in all, just from the auction. I'll send some pics in day or two.

That smell is addictive. Once the smell is gone, it is time to buy another new Gibson. But it is much better to have several on hand to help get through the period while a new one is on order.

I know that smell your talking about. I have a Martin acoustic that has a rosewood body and everytime I open the case what a wild aroma that comes out. Even though the guitar is several years old now it still is pretty strong . I hope it never goes away because I honestly enjoy the smell as much as I enjoy playing it. Weird isn't it.

Everytime I open her case I can inhail the sweet smell of nitro and it's woods aroma [drool][drool]

I remember the first day I picked her up the nitro was really almost still wet.

Anyway apart from the awesome tone tone tone, I love putting my nose against her body and smelling the Gibson aroma. [love]

I know I sound like a **** head!!! but is there anyone out there that have had the same experience.

Cheers.

haha And here I thought I was the only one that enjoyed smelling my new gibson. Unfortunately, the "new car" smell is almost gone. I'm gonna miss it when it's all the way gone.

Keep a smellin' haha

We've been going through a kitchen renovation that also involved refinishing the wood floors in the entire first floor of the house. My music room was out of commission for almost 3 months. Just got it finished last week so it was a good time to take some pics before everything was moved back in. Here is a pic of my Gibson's along with a Strat and Taylor T5:

DSC05961.jpg

This is about half of my collection so maybe you can see why some of them don't get played very often. If anyone is interested some of the others are posted in this album:

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff379/JOC1021/Music%20Room/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a '68 Johnny Smith which I bought second hand about 2 years ago and it had quite a strong rotting type smell from the guitar and from the case. I was suspicious that there may have been moisture in the case and that the guitar had been stored for a long period in a moist environment. Reason I thought that there was moisture was because of corrosion on machine heads and pickups.

I tried to get rid of the smell but couldn't for a long time. Luckily the case broke and I bought a new case. However that only fixed the smell from the case. Also to help get rid of the smell in the guitar, I left it on a stand when I was not playing it. After about a year and a bit I got rid of the smell. Great guitar, in fact my favourite.

AC1_1055.jpg

Archived