Gibson Brands Forums

The saddest item I ever saw

E-minor7

Truly sad....Makes you wonder why Gibson insists on boring so much material away when they cut the pocket for the truss rod - If you took less away and used a smaller wrench the headstocks/neck areas would be quite a bit stronger. We fixed yet another decapitation this week as well as cosmetically correcting a previously performed repair at the shop, an SG and an SG junior. The junior fell over in its cases onto a carpeted floor and went south. Great business for the boss, but really sad seeing these beauties having to be put aright...

Truly sad....Makes you wonder why Gibson insists on boring so much material away when they cut the pocket for the truss rod - If you took less away and used a smaller wrench the headstocks/neck areas would be quite a bit stronger.

Bob,

Do you see anything about this one that suggests that it's actually a Gibson?

lol...it needed smashing!

I make it a point to never drop my guitars from great heights. While I haven't dropped any of my current babies I HAVE dropped a J45 fairly brutally. The body got a big ol' dent, not ding, dent, but the headstock didn't fly off. I don't think, I could be wrong, but I don't think Gibsons are any more prone to getting their heads broken off as any other guitar, with the exception of over-built tanks. (Acoustic, I'm talking here...I know Gibsons LP's are more prone to this injury than a Fender Telecaster.)

J45-

You're 100% correct - It doesn't look to be a Gibson At all, But as another member pointed out Headstock breakage seems to be a common affliction of the Gibson brand - It's only my opinion ( based on what I've learned from working in the shop) that this could be cured or prevented with a minor modification in manufacturing.

Mea Culpa!

Bob

It's still on the Bay, sold for the tuners, as stated in the ad = 15 Dollars

It's true some Gibsons are known for fragile necks, especially due to the headstock angle. For that same reason a so called volute was introduced in the Norlin era. On both electrics and acoustics. Look up volute and you might recognize it. . .

Btw. I'm pretty hot on the 335 – Would like to show up, take it from the case and shock the band little : Intend to play a few soli tonite ! , , , where's my old TubeScreamer ?

Of course I would wear black suit and silk tie that evening.

Archived