Gibson Brands Forums

Some great guitar tone for Sunday eve.

heymisterk

Borrowing from another thread, I cannot believe you guys prefer Paisley's style, tone, or lyrics to Knopfler's.

Knopflers great, but Paisley is more fun. That said, I don't think there's a whole Brad Paisley CD I'd want in my collection, but I have to have Dire Straits debut album.

A definite thumbs up to a lotta the Nashville guys - including the ones nobody ever, or at least hardly ever, hears about.

Honestly, it reminds me a lot of the old live radio days when guys could do swing jazz one half hour gig, funny country of the day the next, then swap to smooth pop tunes... and then... Audiences often didn't realize it was the same folks, cuz they'd change the name of the group.

Those old timers - and still some of those Nashvillians and studio pickers everywhere - are more interested in making a living playing than in making a name with a style, and burning out like so many road musicians of various sorts have done through the years. I'm no Lawrence Welk fan, but he made himself wealthy and some of his band folks famous enough to make an even better living on their own due to the many styles played.

m

Milo - That's exactly what I think is missing from modern musicians. The ability and willingness to play outside their pigeonhole and just entertain the listener. Seem like everyone wants to entertain so long as the audience is completely on board with the artist's style and idiosyncrasies.

Firstmeasure...

Absolutely with you on that. I won't claim to be good at anything, but I've had great fun doing rhythm guitar or bass with folks playing everything from swing to oom-pah polkas to rock, blues, country and light jazz. Audiences were happy, the other musicians were almost inevitably fun to work with... what more to say other than I love pickin' with folks having fun entertaining others.

But there are guys like Notes Norton and others who make their living at it who know... and are good enough all-around musicians who can give a good show in a number of styles. I know a couple around here where a one-style pro will very quickly need to find a day job, and there ain't many.

m

Archived