Gibson Brands Forums

HNU339D

brianh

Wow, how do you say this? RE- Happy New Guitar Day! I think that one looks much nicer! I'm thinking the ongoing problem these Chinese guitars are having with cracks (always in the same general area) are because of where they have the scarf joint now. On the Epis of old, it was located at the 3rd fret, now the joint is right at the weakest point of the peghead (who's brainfart was THAT?!!), which is right at or just above the nut in a straight line. My Daewon Classic is the same way...totally not comfortable with it there. 'Ol Blue's scarf was at the 3rd fret, where it's supposed to be. Junior's scarf is at the 3rd fret, where it's supposed to be...

Speaking of Chinese workmanship, or at least Epi factory workmanship, look at these pickup cavity pics I snapped before I sent it back.

Sloppy rout and sheilding paint, splintered wire channel, loose wood bits in the neck cavity:

P1060074.jpg

Another loose chunk o' wood in the bridge cavity wire channel:

P1060080.jpg

P1060081.jpg

I know this is the first batch and they were in hurry to get them out before the Xmas shopping season, but come on, it's supposed to be an $800 guitar!

Speaking of Chinese workmanship, or at least Epi factory workmanship, look at these pickup cavity pics I snapped before I sent it back.

Sloppy rout and sheilding paint, splintered wire channel, loose wood bits in the neck cavity:

P1060074.jpg

Another loose chunk o' wood in the bridge cavity wire channel:

P1060080.jpg

P1060081.jpg

I know this is the first batach and they were in hurry to get them out before the Xmas shopping season, but come on, it's an $800 guitar!

Any similar issues with the blue one?

Any similar issues with the blue one?

I'm afraid to look.

Seriously, I want to play it a bit more before I do a string change, then I'll pop the pickups. If I have any trouble with it, it'll go back too.

The pelham fretboard is much nicer - actually looks like rosewood. The VSB unit had a dark FB that looked vaugely like ebony unitl I hit it with naptha to get the excess dye off, then it looked like driftwood. It darkened back up slightly after I soaked it with lemon oil.

I did just cut the nut slots deeper on the pelham unit - cowboy chords were way out of tune. Also had the pickguard off briefly and in general the fit and finish are better. The f-hole is not blacked out like the VSB which looks better IMHO.

I have a Midtown Custom VSB on order against the returned Ultra 399. It won't ship until January. I just wish they'd put a nanomag in a Gibson, that option is very useful and was the whole reason I wanted the Ultra in the first place.

Great looking Pelham Blue Brian.

That is on my to buy list next.

I agree that I think they did rush these.

My third 355 just arrived and is much better than the first two.

Not perfect but, nothing that noticeable.

Did the neck on the vsb look cracked before the string change, or did it happen upon loosening the strings?

Stunning PB though. Good choice.

Did the neck on the vsb look cracked before the string change, or did it happen upon loosening the strings?

I did not notice the cracks until after I had the strings off, so it could have been a result of loss of tension, not sure. Had the strings loose on the pb unit to recut the nut slots, and no such problem has occurred so far.

I don't have any expectation that a mass-produced $500 Chinese instrument will be assembled with the same care and materials as a $4k custom shop Gibby, but I'm surprised that they would pass guits that fall apart shortly after purchase. It will be expensive for them, and an annoyance for us buyers. Thankfully MF has a 45-day return policy - hopefully that'll allow me to play the snot out of it before it explodes.

I'm late to this party also. In regards to the colors of these guitars.

1. The Sunburst was gorgeous. Like Willy, I really like it when the burst comes up into the horns. Too bad about the neck.

2. The Pelham Blue is also wonderful. In my opinion the blue looks great on a smaller body guitar. Once into the larger bodies, it seems to over power.

I really like the body on that 339. Just the right size.

Soooo, is it HN time-to-void-the-warranty D now?

After my experience with the fisrt one, I'll wait the full 45 days on this one.

I have a bone nut waiting and I might change out the switch and jack, but that's about it. The tuners are good and the bridge and tail are fine.

Pickup, pots & wiring upgrades on an Ultra are complicated and dicey, not sure if I want to mess with that at my skill level.

After my experience with the fisrt one, I'll wait the full 45 days on this one.

I have a bone nut waiting and I might change out the switch and jack, but that's about it. The tuners are good and the bridge and tail are fine.

Pickup, pots & wiring upgrades on an Ultra are complicated and dicey, not sure if I want to mess with that at my skill level.

My Ultra 2 LP had a problem in the electronics. I was not able to get any sound from the Nanomag. I took a good look and it turned out that there was a loose post on the 9 pin Stereo Jack. So I am going to have to find one tomorrow when the stores are open, and replace it.

I went to the Shadow Electronics site and downloaded some pics, schematics and specs for the Nanomag/Humbucker configuration. Those gave me a better idea as to how to proceed.

Good info for anyone who owns one of these guitars. I'll try to put a link in this post later.

Here it is.

Nanomag Info

Archived