Gibson Brands Forums

The bird of my dreams - not totally in love with her yet.

BewilderedPunkRabbit

Hello everyone!

I've been following the forum for a month now - actually just the topics regarding the Hummingbird.

My sole acoustic for these last 7 years has been a trusty Martin D-28 but I always wanted to have a Gibson.

The Hummingbird and the Dove were the models I always had my sights on. The first one for it's renowned sound and heritage, the second more because of the colors (the combination of the natural top and cherry back and sides)

I've always wondered why Gibson doesn't offer the Hbird with the Dove finish - I would buy it in an instant.

Then one day I found one exacly like that on Ebay... it was a one of a kind 2008 Custom ordered Hummingbird (the owner had to wait 6 months for it)

After much negotiation (the seller was having second thoughs of letting it go which is understood) I ended up getting it!

So I traveled thousands of miles to pick it up in Florida where my relatives live (I live in Brazil where the only hummingbirds you'll see are the real flying ones)

so full of expectations with the new guitar that I even had bought a copy of the Stones Beggar's Banquet and Keith Richard's Life (both audio and paperback) to get the juices flowing.

Once I had my hands on her I proceeded to strum the chords of Salt of the Earth. I play for a few minutes and I'm pretty trilled but not overwhelmed as I expected to be. So pick up the other guitar I had bought: a 2008 Martin D-18 which looks as if it had never been played and to my surprise it produced such a loud, open and boomy sound with clear highs and incredible sustain.

The Hummingbird sounded a bit more rounded with fuller lows but it has a much more dampened sound. The single notes just don`t pop out... they're very subdued - it all seems a tad constipated.

It's a most gorgeous guitar but so far the sound is rather disappointing. It was advertised as having the same specs as a True Vintage Hummingbird (though the orange label only says 'Hummingbird' and I don't have other Hbirds around to compare it to).

The previous owner mentioned the guitar was played very little (at around 20 times) which is where my hope still lies... that it just needs some time to start blooming. (I plan to leave it on Tonerite for a few days when I come back to Brazil)

My trusty D-28 sounded just average out-of-the-box but it kept improving and it's a killer guitar now. Having played that Martin as my sole acoustic for the past years that's my standard for an acoustic guitar sound. Is it too much to expect that kind of tone of a barely played Hummingbird? On the other hand, since the Hbird is a scalopped-braced guitar - wasn't it supposed to sound more open from the start?

Since this is my first experience with Gibson acoustics I'd like to hear what are your thoughts about them and not-so-great sounding new Hummingbirds.

Thanks!

post-38581-037757700 1324880292_thumb.jpg

post-38581-013150900 1324880302_thumb.jpg

20 times, even as an estimate, even further estimating an hour or two's playing for each of those 20 times and it's been used less than the average working week in terms of time.... Sounds like this bird has been sleeping too much, a bit of play time and perhaps even a dose of your tonerite and it should be singing sweetly....

I borrowed a Tonerite for a few weeks, in that time I applied it to my Recording King ROS-627, I was a little fearful to do it to my Gibsons, I'm happy to say it did have some effect, no huge dramatic claims but it sweetened the sound, boosted the clarity and sustain and unleashed the inner cannon. The most dramatic effect was the increase in volume. I had always been a bit of a 'nay-sayer' regarding tonerite and the like, but in my experience I have been proved wrong. I would now do a tonerite session with my Gibsons if I can borrow the unit again sometime.

Anyway, back to the bird... keep playing it... even just for a few weeks/couple of months then you'll have a much better idea of how the guitar is shaping up.

.....so full of expectations........and I'm pretty trilled but not overwhelmed as I expected to be........it all seems a tad constipated.

It's a most gorgeous guitar but so far the sound is rather disappointing. Is it too much to expect that kind of tone of a barely played Hummingbird?

.....wasn't it supposed to sound more open from the start?

Since this is my first experience with Gibson acoustics I'd like to hear what are your thoughts about them and not-so-great sounding new Hummingbirds.

Welcome to the forum, BPR! Our thoughts about Gibson acoustics, among other things, include the basic understanding that no two guitars are alike when it comes to tone, and that buying something as personal as an acoustic guitar sight-unseen is a risky proposition. I gather from your words you had preconceived notions of what this Hummingbird should sound like..........based on Stones' recordings? Give the guitar new a chance on it's own merits. It's not a Martin D18 and it's not the guitar Keef played all those years ago........it's your guitar now. Maybe this will turn out to be the Hummingbird you expected (i.e., hear in your head) in the long run, but I wouldn't count on that. Another idea we like to pass around here is never buy a guitar for what you hope it might become, tonally or otherwise.

Anyway, welcome to our little corner of the web! Seems to have been a Hummingbird December this year...........

Buc's basics are right on. I wouold add that the Hummingbird will never sound like your D28 or your D18 .. Heck, it's not a Martin. The H'bird is likely to be a great strummer but not a great flatpicker like many D28s. So your expectations led you astray. Having said that, hang in there and let the H'bird mellow .... play it on the songs that lend itself to the Bird. If you are patient, I think that you will be happy to have added it to your collection.

Welcome to the forum and keep us up to date on you progress with your new friend.

Congrats on the new Hummer, she looks gorgeous!

Regarding the sound, a Hummingbird will never sound like a D28 or D18. It's a completely different beast, shorter scale neck, different bracing, completely different in all but basic shape and (in the case of the D18) materials.

Hummingbirds are quieter guitars than Martins, but absolutely come into their own when you sing over them-the 'Bird was originally conceived, designed and voiced specifically for vocal accompaniment. They have a cute midrange frequency dip which "gets out of the way" of the frequencies produced by the human voice, and, as such, they create a brilliant and all-encompassing wall of warm sound in combination with vocals.

I'd far rather record a vocalist and a Hummingbird than a vocalist with a D28 or D18. In my experience of producing and doing session work, the midrange punch of the Martin Ds, which sounds so fat and juicy in isolation, has a tendency to clutter up the mix a little bit when recorded with vocals, necessitating some EQ work, which can cause more issues if there is any bleed from the vocal mic on a live take. The only exception to this that I've found is the Martin D35, which has such a guttural, rumbling low end that it sits quite happily under the vocal.

I really think there's few guitars in the world that work better for a singer/songwriter than a Hummingbird. I think you just need time to adjust to its nuances and hushed, tailored sonic beauty...enjoy!

1 – Welcome inside these Board walls – the acoustics in this room is usually good and inspiring.

2 – Never expect to hear trademarks of a Martin Dreadnought in a Gibson Hummingbird*. You've been behind your D-28 for 7 years and have that 6-string planted everywhere within you. The Bird is something else. It's pointing towards other goals, follows different paths and gives different clues.

Strumming – sure, , , flatpicking – oh YES ! , , , if you ask me. I even enjoy fingerpicking it more and more. In fact due to what I see as one of your main concerns : The held back projection and dry note-separation - - - which in reality creates a huge space for precision and detail. Your skepticism wonders if the instrument will change, , , and in what direction this will happen. I'm with you - being in the serious process of opening my own TV Bird, , , , and there's no doubt it's a challenge that takes time. Mine is from '08, but hadn't been played much when I got it in May last year. That changed and I both strum, flat and fingerpick it each day. And things develop. Not fast, but nice and easy. It was rather stiff in the beginning - as wearing its tie too tight - now I feel it soften up and relax. 8 month is my first line – after 8 month, which means now, something shall have happened to a new guitar. My next line is 12, which means after a full year of playing.

I come to think of BKahunes (a member here) story about how he awaited his J-200 to break in. The big step took place after 18 months connected with a string change. Now that's interesting and sets a standard.

Repeat – Your Bird will and shall not be a Mart. Dread (keep one those too and enjoy the fruits of the duality), but presumably it will melt into a very beautiful and unique instrument. Don't compare directly to Richards' as he had other saddles (both ceramic and rosewood, primarily the first), but dig in and surely you'll find recognizable flavours from those classic Stones recordings – a family bond is to be heard in there.

Thats about all for now – be happy behind that/those guitars and don't forget to write back. The process might be the goal. . .

*Oh by the way, I tried a long scale first 90's square shouldered burst J-30 last summer. Believe it or not, it had similarities with a D-35.

P.S. - funny to hear from the owner of that particular blonde Bird. We had our eyes on it half a year ago - don't remember the content, but maybe you already saw the thread. . .

You've received some great feedback, thus far. Gotta say I'm in agreement with the folks here who recommend giving it a chance to 'open up'. I had a 2007 Guild D-40 that I was similarly concerned with after buying it as New Old Stock (NOS) from an eBay retailer in summer 2007. I came close to selling it within six months of purchase, but decided to hang on and play it at least 30 minutes per evening on average four/five days per week. Within four months, that dread opened up like crazy and for about four years was my go-to gigging guitar until my aging/aching shoulders influenced my move from dreadnaught gits to smaller bodies and/or short scale. In fact, that's how I came across my 2003 Gibby J-45 which has now stolen my heart.

Two additional cents worth and I'll move on:

Florida is very humid. Give it a chance to dry out just a bit, but, of course, not too much (47% humidity is perfect and +/- 7% is OK). When humidity gets in the mid/upper 50s and higher over an extended period, it can affect the sound; (mahogany in particular can sound a bit 'mushy'). As previously stated; 20 hours of play time over three to four years is not enough. That 'bird' was made to be played. Give the top a chance to come alive.

Strings, as you're aware, mean everything. Try Bronze; if not there; PBs; if the tone is still not there, try 80/20s. Go coated/uncoated as you desire until you find 'the sound'. It's there; it's now up to you to unleash it and give it the play it deserves. Of two 'hog' bodies I own, one loves Elixer Nanoweb 80/20 light-mediums and the other wants nothing but Martin 80/20 Bronze strings. Just like my daughters; both are beautiful and to each, her own personality. Go figure...

If not impressed after a few months; let me know. I need a 'bird'... [rolleyes] Good luck!

I can only echo what others have said; I own a Hummingbird and a HD28V and there's no way they sound even close. A cannon is the best way to describe the Martin, I don't know if I've ever played a louder guitar. The 'Bird, on the other hand, is just like it's namesake....quiet but very toneful in it's own right. The Martin if you want to cut through anything in a band setting, the Gibson if you want a wonderful sweet sounding guitar. It's great to have them both.

When listening to two guitars where one is substantially louder than the other, I think many players will prefer the "tone" of the louder one. I know when I've had both, I leaned toward the louder one every time.

I'm not sure – actually I'm in a dilemma. Now HD-28V's were mentioned, I have a couple here – 2001 and 2005 – and the '01 is considerably louder than the other.

I'm in 2 minds. The '01 sticks out as loud and slightly rougher – the '05 is so smooth, balanced and together. Both are excellent guitars, but I have to sell one of these creatures when spring comes.

The Hummingbird is a whole other galaxy - As said many times, I prefer double over half and like to move around.

20 times, even as an estimate, even further estimating an hour or two's playing for each of those 20 times and it's been used less than the average working week in terms of time.... Sounds like this bird has been sleeping too much, a bit of play time and perhaps even a dose of your tonerite and it should be singing sweetly....

... keep playing it... even just for a few weeks/couple of months then you'll have a much better idea of how the guitar is shaping up.

Hi there ParlourMan. I guess you're right. It's still too early to judge how this bird will develop for it was asleep for too long. I've been playing it a lot these last couple of days and I'm starting to hear the potential (or maybe my ears are just getting used to it without comparing it to my other guitars)

Welcome to the forum, BPR! Our thoughts about Gibson acoustics, among other things, include the basic understanding that no two guitars are alike when it comes to tone, and that buying something as personal as an acoustic guitar sight-unseen is a risky proposition. I gather from your words you had preconceived notions of what this Hummingbird should sound like..........based on Stones' recordings? Give the guitar new a chance on it's own merits. It's not a Martin D18 and it's not the guitar Keef played all those years ago........it's your guitar now. Maybe this will turn out to be the Hummingbird you expected (i.e., hear in your head) in the long run, but I wouldn't count on that. Another idea we like to pass around here is never buy a guitar for what you hope it might become, tonally or otherwise.

Anyway, welcome to our little corner of the web! Seems to have been a Hummingbird December this year...........

Hi there Buc! Thanks for the warm welcome and the words of wisdom. As you've said it's my guitar now and I should leave all preconceptions behind and love it as it is

I must say that after the initial fright my appreciation for her is beginning to grow.

Buc's basics are right on. I wouold add that the Hummingbird will never sound like your D28 or your D18 .. Heck, it's not a Martin. The H'bird is likely to be a great strummer but not a great flatpicker like many D28s. So your expectations led you astray. Having said that, hang in there and let the H'bird mellow .... play it on the songs that lend itself to the Bird. If you are patient, I think that you will be happy to have added it to your collection.

Welcome to the forum and keep us up to date on you progress with your new friend.

Hello jdd. I wouldn't say that I expected it to sound like my D-28 and D-18... if that was the case I would have bought another Martin. But having read so many reviews of how the Hummingbird (the True Vintage model specially) was so responsive I was expecting a much more open sound out of it. It does however sound sweet - it's just a little drowsy from having slept so much I guess. I'll definitely hang on to it and watch it grow.

it needs playing ...

It won't be Keith Richards' Hummingbird

but it will sound like what it is in due time :D

So I say just play it . or maybe check the strings you are using too .

I've heard strings can make or break tone.

I say put on some Martin lifespan strings and report back!

Strings ... try some John Pearse M 700's. Uncoated and resonant. You may like.

Strings, as you're aware, mean everything. Try Bronze; if not there; PBs; if the tone is still not there, try 80/20s. Go coated/uncoated as you desire until you find 'the sound'. It's there; it's now up to you to unleash it and give it the play it deserves. Of two 'hog' bodies I own, one loves Elixer Nanoweb 80/20 light-mediums and the other wants nothing but Martin 80/20 Bronze strings. Just like my daughters; both are beautiful and to each, her own personality. Go figure...

Hello Juan Carlos. Thanks for the support - I'm now confident that there's still a long way to go and grow with this bird which is a good thing.

Tman, GreatWhite and Scratch47 I've got a fresh set of Martin Marquis Bronze 80/20 12's on the bird. Somehow I feel that 11's would be worth the try as well. What gauge do you guys use?

Congrats on the new Hummer, she looks gorgeous!

Regarding the sound, a Hummingbird will never sound like a D28 or D18. It's a completely different beast, shorter scale neck, different bracing, completely different in all but basic shape and (in the case of the D18) materials.

Hummingbirds are quieter guitars than Martins, but absolutely come into their own when you sing over them-the 'Bird was originally conceived, designed and voiced specifically for vocal accompaniment. They have a cute midrange frequency dip which "gets out of the way" of the frequencies produced by the human voice, and, as such, they create a brilliant and all-encompassing wall of warm sound in combination with vocals.

I'd far rather record a vocalist and a Hummingbird than a vocalist with a D28 or D18. In my experience of producing and doing session work, the midrange punch of the Martin Ds, which sounds so fat and juicy in isolation, has a tendency to clutter up the mix a little bit when recorded with vocals, necessitating some EQ work, which can cause more issues if there is any bleed from the vocal mic on a live take. The only exception to this that I've found is the Martin D35, which has such a guttural, rumbling low end that it sits quite happily under the vocal.

I really think there's few guitars in the world that work better for a singer/songwriter than a Hummingbird. I think you just need time to adjust to its nuances and hushed, tailored sonic beauty...enjoy!

Thanks Jinder! I'm starting to become aware of the things you've said. The Hbird is surely a lovely guitar to play and sing along with it. Sometimes when you get carried away on the Martins they can even drown your voice. Also my D-28 could at times sound a bit harsh when strummed with a pick (specially during the first years) and that is why I usually strum with nails and fingers. The Hbird seems to love being strummed with a pick though - it sounds warm and there's no sign of those brittle, harsh and metallic frequencies - something like the nice flat EQ of a high-end audio system. She still sounds too subdued when strummed with nails and fingers though.

1 – Welcome inside these Board walls – the acoustics in this room is usually good and inspiring.

2 – Never expect to hear trademarks of a Martin Dreadnought in a Gibson Hummingbird*. You've been behind your D-28 for 7 years and have that 6-string planted everywhere within you. The Bird is something else. It's pointing towards other goals, follows different paths and gives different clues.

Strumming – sure, , , flatpicking – oh YES ! , , , if you ask me. I even enjoy fingerpicking it more and more. In fact due to what I see as one of your main concerns : The held back projection and dry note-separation - - - which in reality creates a huge space for precision and detail. Your skepticism wonders if the instrument will change, , , and in what direction this will happen. I'm with you - being in the serious process of opening my own TV Bird, , , , and there's no doubt it's a challenge that takes time. Mine is from '08, but hadn't been played much when I got it in May last year. That changed and I both strum, flat and fingerpick it each day. And things develop. Not fast, but nice and easy. It was rather stiff in the beginning - as wearing its tie too tight - now I feel it soften up and relax. 8 month is my first line – after 8 month, which means now, something shall have happened to a new guitar. My next line is 12, which means after a full year of playing.

I come to think of BKahunes (a member here) story about how he awaited his J-200 to break in. The big step took place after 18 months connected with a string change. Now that's interesting and sets a standard.

Repeat – Your Bird will and shall not be a Mart. Dread (keep one those too and enjoy the fruits of the duality), but presumably it will melt into a very beautiful and unique instrument. Don't compare directly to Richards' as he had other saddles (both ceramic and rosewood, primarily the first), but dig in and surely you'll find recognizable flavours from those classic Stones recordings – a family bond is to be heard in there.

Thats about all for now – be happy behind that/those guitars and don't forget to write back. The process might be the goal. . .

*Oh by the way, I tried a long scale first 90's square shouldered burst J-30 last summer. Believe it or not, it had similarities with a D-35.

P.S. - funny to hear from the owner of that particular blonde Bird. We had our eyes on it half a year ago - don't remember the content, but maybe you already saw the thread. . .

Hi there E-minor7. Rest assured that I don't expect my Hbird to sound exactly like my Martins. But as you've noticed I had the D-28 sound in my head for too long. I just have to learn to appreciate the differences of the Hbird. Mine feel quite stiff as you've described your TV Hbird in the first months - so it's comforting to know that mine may not be a lemon. Anyway, even lemons mature and make pretty good thirst-quenching lemonade, don`t they? As for the last paragraph of your post - I didn't quite get it. Have you seen this guitar for sale before?

You've received some great feedback, thus far. Gotta say I'm in agreement with the folks here who recommend giving it a chance to 'open up'. I had a 2007 Guild D-40 that I was similarly concerned with after buying it as New Old Stock (NOS) from an eBay retailer in summer 2007. I came close to selling it within six months of purchase, but decided to hang on and play it at least 30 minutes per evening on average four/five days per week. Within four months, that dread opened up like crazy and for about four years was my go-to gigging guitar until my aging/aching shoulders influenced my move from dreadnaught gits to smaller bodies and/or short scale. In fact, that's how I came across my 2003 Gibby J-45 which has now stolen my heart.

Two additional cents worth and I'll move on:

Florida is very humid. Give it a chance to dry out just a bit, but, of course, not too much (47% humidity is perfect and +/- 7% is OK). When humidity gets in the mid/upper 50s and higher over an extended period, it can affect the sound; (mahogany in particular can sound a bit 'mushy'). As previously stated; 20 hours of play time over three to four years is not enough. That 'bird' was made to be played. Give the top a chance to come alive.

If not impressed after a few months; let me know. I need a 'bird'... [rolleyes] Good luck!

Hello Scratch47. I'm glad to hear that story of your Guild. My D-28 in fact was only average sounding when I first got it - but to my untrained (I should I say unspoiled) ears at the time I didn't even care and kept playing it like crazy. I compared it to an older D-16GT at the time which had much more projection and a booming sound (though my 28 had much more stinging highs). Rather than being disappointed I felt good because it showed me what age and honest playing does to a good guitar and I was sure that mine would become even better - which it did.

As for the humidity tips that's good to know. I live in Sao Paulo where humidity levels change like crazy (it can get to 80% some days to the lower 20% in others) Funny enough I never worried about it and never had any trouble with my guitars as they're always kept in their cases.

Thanks for the offer - I'll let you know in a few months but my guess is that I'll keep this one. You guys are lucky to live in the US where all these wonderful guitars are within arms reach.

I can only echo what others have said; I own a Hummingbird and a HD28V and there's no way they sound even close. A cannon is the best way to describe the Martin, I don't know if I've ever played a louder guitar. The 'Bird, on the other hand, is just like it's namesake....quiet but very toneful in it's own right. The Martin if you want to cut through anything in a band setting, the Gibson if you want a wonderful sweet sounding guitar. It's great to have them both.

I'll keep that in mind Joe. I'm learning to appreciate the Hummingbird as it is - I've being playing it like crazy these last two days > I don't know if the sounds is beginning to open up or I'm getting used to it's different tone.

I think Joe M may have touched upon something that really can separate one guitar from another, especially when comparing them side-to-side - volume. When listening to two guitars where one is substantially louder than the other, I think many players will prefer the "tone" of the louder one. I know when I've had both, I leaned toward the louder one every time.

Moishe you've got a point there. There are actually studies that point out what you've mentioned - that when listening to guitars people generally tend to prefer the louder ones. If you compare the older CDs and recordings to the newer ones you can notice that the newer are much louder.

Maybe that's why I felt biased towards my louder D-18. It's hard not to let volume influence you when comparing guitars since more projection usually makes things more apparent and in-your-face.

Those Martins have an upfront sound with a lot of note to note separation (espec the D18). Your Bird, as I think you are finding, is more of a blend. Notes arent going to jump out of that box, neither the honking or treble sizzle. But the sing sing together nicely, which is the beauty of it.

Another thing, about those Stones records, er DVDs: Beggers-Exile was when KR got heavily into open tunings, so to cop his sound, dial into open G or D.

As for the last paragraph of your post - I didn't quite get it. Have you seen this guitar for sale before?

Some 4-6 month ago a guitar like this showed up on the Bay. Can't say if it is this one, but I remember the ad referred to Richards early 70's model. The one he had with him when they recorded Exile On Main Street in the Nellcôte villa down there. It's pretty easy to recognize due to the redish back'n'sides.

You probably know the photos from that particular trip. They're black'n'white, but still you can compare. And don't forget the Stones-Birds had adjustable saddles.

When you describe the sound as subdued, I think you hit a nerve. That's exactly my impression and I'd like to hear other voices on the subject. I personally believe this

trait makes the guitar ideal for strumming, but asked the Q. before. How come a lightly braced, scalloped dreadnought guitar appears kind of held back.

The answer is still blowing. . .

Squeeze on -

Those Martins have an upfront sound with a lot of note to note separation (espec the D18). Your Bird, as I think you are finding, is more of a blend. Notes arent going to jump out of that box, neither the honking or treble sizzle. But the sing sing together nicely, which is the beauty of it.

Another thing, about those Stones records, er DVDs: Beggers-Exile was when KR got heavily into open tunings, so to cop his sound, dial into open G or D.

Rambler, I'm from the record days as well man. You've put it nicely. I've got the guitar with me right now and it's in these quiet hours late at night that you can appreciate the beayty of it's tone. I have to come to terms to the fact that it will never have that upfront sound - maybe because this is my first scalloped-braced guitar I was expecting some more projection. I didn't know Keith played open tunigs on his acoustic (I thought he only did it for his electric 5-stringed work). I have to try that.

Some 4-6 month ago a guitar like this showed up on the Bay. Can't say if it is this one, but I remember the ad referred to Richards early 70's model. The one he had with him when they recorded Exile On Main Street in the Nellcôte villa down there. It's pretty easy to recognize due to the redish back'n'sides.

You probably know the photos from that particular trip. They're black'n'white, but still you can compare. And don't forget the Stones-Birds had adjustable saddles.

When you describe the sound as subdued, I think you hit a nerve. That's exactly my impression and I'd like to hear other voices on the subject. I personally believe this

trait makes the guitar ideal for strumming, but asked the Q. before. How come a lightly braced, scalloped dreadnought guitar appears kind of held back.

The answer is still blowing. . .

Squeeze on -

This was the ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280780530512&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

As for your question, it was exactly what I had it mind! For a lightly braced and scalloped dread I was expecting much more projection. So it seems that this is a natural Hbird trait...

My guess would be the huge thick pickguard - that gotta absorb some of the top vibrations for sure. You guys had a topic on that going a while back if I'm not mistaken.

Gotta get used to strumming more with a pick so it seems...

Archived