Gibson Brands Forums

My reluctance to use a capo........

onewilyfool

As my cafe gig has always been a great teacher for me, I've finally surrendered to the wonderfullness which is the simple capo. It started this way, my wife bought me this guitar, a Terz guitar which is tuned A to A, in normal tuning, instead of E to E. Up a minor third. G chords are C, A chords are D, etc. (like a guitar capo'd at the 5th fret) It was a gas to play and when I tried to sing some of my old favorites, I noticed that it was much easier to sing the songs I normally play in "E" tuning on my regular guitar, with the "A" tuning. I could relax my voice and really had a lot more power on some of these songs. AT MOST, in the past I have used a capo ONLY on the second fret, because the dots on the neck are similar to the dots in normal play......lol......I would get confused if the capo was on the third fret, for example....lol. Anyway, I bit the bullet, and have now been experimenting at the cafe gig with moving the capo around and finding the perfect key for me to sing in. I'm getting used to losing my reference dots on the neck...lol. It has been a revelation to me to do this. Before I would transpose chords, change my voice, strain my voice, anything to get my guitar and voice to work for the song in the chord shapes I was used to, or worked best for the song. Just thought I'd share this and see if any of you have had this experience???

As my cafe gig has always been a great teacher for me, I've finally surrendered to the wonderfullness which is the simple capo. It started this way, my wife bought me this guitar, a Terz guitar which is tuned A to A, in normal tuning, instead of E to E. Up a minor third. G chords are C, A chords are D, etc. (like a guitar capo'd at the 5th fret) It was a gas to play and when I tried to sing some of my old favorites, I noticed that it was much easier to sing the songs I normally play in "E" tuning on my regular guitar, with the "A" tuning. I could relax my voice and really had a lot more power on some of these songs. AT MOST, in the past I have used a capo ONLY on the second fret, because the dots on the neck are similar to the dots in normal play......lol......I would get confused if the capo was on the third fret, for example....lol. Anyway, I bit the bullet, and have now been experimenting at the cafe gig with moving the capo around and finding the perfect key for me to sing in. I'm getting used to losing my reference dots on the neck...lol. It has been a revelation to me to do this. Before I would transpose chords, change my voice, strain my voice, anything to get my guitar and voice to work for the song in the chord shapes I was used to, or worked best for the song. Just thought I'd share this and see if any of you have had this experience???

Wily, I could have written this post maybe 6 months ago!

I always took it as a point of pride that I didn't need a capo, any chord I needed to play, I'd play it someway.

A guy gave me a $100 gift certificate for ZZounds...I didn't really need anything, so I finally used it to by some bongo, and I have enough left over to buy 2 capos... and I discovered a whole new world!

Not only to get a song in a key I could sing, but also providing chord transitions for certain sound and licks.

Rob, I'll do you one better, a friend of mind gave me a capo that presses down only three adjacent strings at a time. So if you put it where you would normally play an open "A" chord, voila, you have instant open "A" tuning, if you put it on the second fret A, D, and G strings, you have an open chord similar to open "D" tuning...In either position, it is just fun to play leads, different chords, fun melodies.....lol.....and now I finally feel I can hang out on the AGF with those new age open tuning guys......now if I only had a $20,000.00 guitar they may let me in the fraternity!!! ....lol......just kidding of course....

It is good to sing in the right key.

Another trick is to drop the tuning (normal guitars) down one tone or 2 steps. Experiment with the voice, and if you really, really need to play and sing in 'E', put the capo on the 2nd fret!

BluesKing777.

P.S.

I got one of these - I should drag it out again because it is fun but it can make the head hurt working out where and what and if:

http://www.spidercapo.com/

Another trick is to drop the tuning (normal guitars) down one tone or 2 steps. Experiment with the voice, and if you really, really need to play and sing in 'E', put the capo on the 2nd fret!

BluesKing777.

P.S.

I got one of these - I should drag it out again because it is fun but it can make the head hurt working out where and what and if:

http://www.spidercapo.com/

BK, I do that on my cafe gigs already. I have an old Harmony 1260 that is my "Street" guitar....lol....tuned to "D" accomodates most of my songs, and it REALLY GROWLS......has better bass than my friend's converted Roy Smeck! A real sleeper!!!

Recently discovered the same thing. I wrote a song in A and D and then put a capo at the 7th so I could sing it. What a difference and I get the here comes the sun type of sound out of the chords and finger picking. Love it.

In recent years (the last 30 of 45), my wife and I have always used a capo -- even though I am perfectly capable of playing in any (major/minor) key without one.

We do traditional mountain stuff (and bluegrass) -- the total music package requires more than just playing some proper chords. Power and tonality are a major issues, and even 1/2 step in pitch can keep us from achieving the vocal edge we always seek. Also, the guitar played in the same key sounds quite differently when capo-ed in different position.

It is just one more tool -- one which for us is quite necessary -- and not because we could not play without.

We are always pure acoustic -- if you plug in, this really does not matter near as much.

Let's pick,

-Tom

In recent years (the last 30 of 45), my wife and I have always used a capo -- even though I am perfectly capable of playing in any (major/minor) key without one.

We do traditional mountain stuff (and bluegrass) -- the total music package requires more than just playing some proper chords. Power and tonality are a major issues, and even 1/2 step in pitch can keep us from achieving the vocal edge we always seek. Also, the guitar played in the same key sounds quite differently when capo-ed in different position.

It is just one more tool -- one which for us is quite necessary -- and not because we could not play without.

We are always pure acoustic -- if you plug in, this really does not matter near as much.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom, I've seen you play....there is no doubt you can play in any key! (but it is fun to do it with open chords, etc!).

My big breakthrough was seeing Paul Simon sing "Sounds of Silence" with a capo on the 4th fret....it just sounded so right!

Capos are very valuable tool. They can change the whole dynamic quality of a song. Especially with two guitars: Two guitars tuned to standard E tuning, play an open E on one and at the same time let the second guitar capo the second fret and play an open D. Great sound! It's still an E being played, just "more better"! \:D/

BK, I do that on my cafe gigs already. I have an old Harmony 1260 that is my "Street" guitar....lol....tuned to "D" accomodates most of my songs, and it REALLY GROWLS......has better bass than my friend's converted Roy Smeck! A real sleeper!!!

Nice one...

I meant to ask which particular capo you use? A lot of people seem to like those new G7 capos.

BluesKing777

Good on ya! Now try Here Comes The Sun, capo at 7.

Just did!

Today is my sister's birthday and I called her and played the song over the phone.

It was fun and made a nice person very happy!

Thanks for the idea [thumbup]

My big breakthrough was seeing Paul Simon sing "Sounds of Silence" with a capo on the 4th fret....it just sounded so right![/b]

Funny but I saw Paul Simon play sounds of silence at the RNR hall of fame 25th anniversary show and thought the same thing. Couple that thought with John Lennon using a capo on the second fret on some songs and I'm sold!

Paul Rishell, quoting the Howlin' Wolf, said that Charlie Patton would tune his guitar to suit his voice (interview in Children of the Blues). Capo is an hand short-cut. Paul also pointed out that these guys

saw themselves as signers; the git-tar was their accompanist.

Everybody should make their own! [thumbup]

Nice one...

I meant to ask which particular capo you use? A lot of people seem to like those new G7 capos.

BluesKing777

I've got a few different capos and sort of switch between them depending on which one's close.

- The first one i bought was a red kyser which i used for years. I've got a few other kysers now and for some reason i don't like the newer ones as much (it's probably just because the spring's worn in better on the one i used most).

- Shubb capos, super-simple design, low-profile and you can fine tune it just right for where ever on the neck you place it. Might be my favorite overall

- G7th - just got it about a year ago and i like the idea of it but it's got enough weight to it that it kind of changes the balance of the guitar

- I'm wondering if anyone's used an elliott capo. They're kind of pricey but i've been wondering about them for a little while.

Here's an $800 G7th if you guys want [crying]

1158.jpg

Blues king.......I generally use a Shubb.....have for years, but also have a Hamilton Screw type capo, a Planet waves, and Kyser, and that Kyser "Short Cut" which only depresses 3 strings at a time.........so I spread the wealth...lol

Aha!

Another capo collector.

Did you see the link above to the Spider capo. You must try it.

BluesKing777.

Always used a capo...... always will.

I read somewhere here that some of you old timers where reluctant to use them as they where classed as a sort of cop out ? Unless your a jazz musician I don't follow this. (and wonder where the reluctance came from.... given most of the old blues players and 60's folkies I listen to used them)

I consider myself a singer more than a guitarist, but the two go hand in hand. Playing gigs of two the three hours, its good to be able to change keys and do songs in other keys to give it more variety. Also i can't think of any singer/guitarist that I listen to, that don't use 'em. It must be great for you Wily to open up your instrument and voice in this way after years of capo denial 8-[

Always used a capo...... always will.

I read somewhere here that some of you old timers where reluctant to use them as they where classed as a sort of cop out ? Unless your a jazz musician I don't follow this. (and wonder where the reluctance came from.... given most of the old blues players and 60's folkies I listen to used them)

I consider myself a singer more than a guitarist, but the two go hand in hand. Playing gigs of two the three hours, its good to be able to change keys and do songs in other keys to give it more variety. Also i can't think of any singer/guitarist that I listen to, that don't use 'em. It must be great for you Wily to open up your instrument and voice in this way after years of capo denial 8-[

i'm totally lost with no capo .

theres plenty of people who don't use one , as in famous musicians , but one that baffles me how i've never seen him with one because of the style of music is neil young , always baffled me that he never uses one :-s

i'm totally lost with no capo .

theres plenty of people who don't use one , as in famous musicians , but one that baffles me how i've never seen him with one because of the style of music is neil young , always baffled me that he never uses one :-s

Hmmmm.. fair point.. its early/late here aint it..are u a night owl too. I can't think of any Young songs I know where he uses a capo either.. but I'm sure there must be some recordings where he does ?

Hmmmm.. fair point.. its early/late here aint it..are u a night owl too. I can't think of any Young songs I know where he uses a capo either.. but I'm sure there must be some recordings where he does ?

insomnia :-s long sufferer

in all the time i've been listening to him i've never seen him with one , theres an excellent site called hyperrust that has basically every song of his tabbed and there aint one that says capo 3 or whatever .

i just think it the weirdest thing , considering his style of music .

elvis costello's another one .

insomnia :-s long sufferer

in all the time i've been listening to him i've never seen him with one , theres an excellent site called hyperrust that has basically every song of his tabbed and there aint one that says capo 3 or whatever .

i just think it the weirdest thing , considering his style of music .

elvis costello's another one .

Intersesting ..... think I'll play some Young on my Bird... Harvest Moon [thumbup]

- I'm wondering if anyone's used an elliott capo. They're kind of pricey but i've been wondering about them for a little while.

yep, I use one and I love it. Infinitely adjustable, and just sits on the nut when not being used, so you're not having to clip capos on and off all the time.

Archived