Gibson Brands Forums

Satin 61 SGs

thejay

I am going to to go ahead and disagree with all of the other posts here and say the finish looks like crap to me. No grain fill on the mahogany, and just a basic two coat finish looks like Gibson really cheapen the look of the SG. PS There's no such thing as a '61 SG - I don't understand why Gibson did this. The SG as a separate model wasn't introduced until 1963. In 1961, there was the Les Paul with the SG-style body, but it wasn't even called an SG. WTF!

Well, I've seen, and played SG's from the '60's, that have that matte like finish, from just age,

and years of playing. The finish sinks in, the body, and looks like that, as often as not. So,

the matte finish, with the grain showing is no big deal, for me. And, the necks are "faster" with

the matte finish, too. Besides, if you play a matte finish guitar, enough, it will take on a semi-gloss

patina, anyway.

I would love to see a Maestro option, added. Maybe they'll do that, at some

point, in the future? [thumbup] We can hope, anyway.

CB

I am going to to go ahead and disagree with all of the other posts here and say the finish looks like crap to me. No grain fill on the mahogany, and just a basic two coat finish looks like Gibson really cheapen the look of the SG. PS There's no such thing as a '61 SG - I don't understand why Gibson did this. The SG as a separate model wasn't introduced until 1963. In 1961, there was the Les Paul with the SG-style body, but it wasn't even called an SG. WTF!

I agree. The finishes are horrible. After a year, my satin SG now has a bald neck and edges. I want a finish that will at least withstand wear for a couple of years.

I agree. The finishes are horrible. After a year, my satin SG now has a bald neck and edges. I want a finish that will at least withstand wear for a couple of years.

So, not only do they look like crap to start with, but don't last long either. BOooooo

See how much NICER that deeper beveling, and tapered horns, looks! Ummm, Umm!! [thumbup]

CB

Check out the new Tweedy sig RI on the NAMM vid in the LP section, looks soooo much better without the 50th anniversary logo too. If there was a dancing emoticon I would put one here.

• 2 weeks later...

See how much NICER that deeper beveling, and tapered horns, looks! Ummm, Umm!! [thumbup]

CB

Ya, I was noticing that, CB. That's a great look. Nice to see them moving in that direction. If they made that one with P90's I'd almost certainly be caving. I have a 60's Tribute, which I love, but those curves would be my undoing.

Man, Gibson is "killing me," with these later releases..."Classic Customs," and now this!![biggrin]

Every time I say "I'm done, that's enough" etc., they bring out

something like this! It's embarrassing, making a fool out of myself! [flapper][crying]

Plus, I STILL have my "Bucket List" VOS SG w/maestro, and ES-345, to lust over! I'm too old, for this ShhhhhTUFFF! ](*,)[razz][unsure]

CB

I am looking to buying an SG '61 reissue, but ebony is my absolute favourite. The existing 61 reissue only comes in heritage cherry, which I'm not a great fan of. Now, the new satin ebony seems to be a good option (although I would still prefer a gloss finish).

Has anyone played one of these yet?

I have not been able to find them on sale anywhere on-line. Does anybody know when they will be available on-line and how much the street price will be? Their MRSP is $1K lower than the existing gloss finish.

Gibson customer service tells me the only difference between the new model and the existing one (apart from the finish) is the fret board: American rosewood on the existing model vs baked maple on the new ones.

Thanks!

Archived