Gibson Brands Forums

NGD---With a problem

musicmaker99

New Trad. Pro Goldtop from MF. $356 shipped with Epi HSC. Plays and sounds great......but there are a couple areas on the body that are of cosmetic concern. Since I sell off a lot of my gear I'm always thinking of what resale value any potential acquisition will have. Opinions please on whether I ought send it back; or, ask for compensation in the form of a reduced price...or, just live with it.

These pics were taken 1 hour after receving package from UPS.

Here ya go:

p1010041g.jpg

p1010042u.jpg

p1010044d.jpg

New Trad. Pro Goldtop from MF. $356 shipped with Epi HSC. Plays and sounds great......but there are a couple areas on the body that are of cosmetic concern. Since I sell off a lot of my gear I'm always thinking of what resale value any potential acquisition will have. Opinions please on whether I ought send it back; or, ask for compensation in the form of a reduced price...or, just live with it.

These pics were taken 1 hour after receving package from UPS.

Here ya go:

p1010041g.jpg

p1010042u.jpg

p1010044d.jpg

So the only real issue is that it's dinged. MMM. I say ask for compensation and keep it... The resale value of an epi is fairly low anyway, and I doubt people who buy used epis expect them to be mint condition.

$356 with a case is an awfully good price, and those flaws are pretty minor (and they tend to look worse in close up photos). If it were me I would just keep it. Assuming you have put any playing wear at all on it if/when you sell it, those flaws shouldn't detract from the value. Just my opinion though.

A little bit of open end grain that should have been covered by the grain filler or poly coat, not really the end of the world.

I suppose if you want an absolutely flawless guitar you could complain...with what you paid you did alright and I think my times worth more to me so probably I wouldn't complain...how does it play? .

So wasn't it listed as a Condition 1 or 2 or something like that? If it was listed as "new" for the price, then send them your photo's (to customer support) and ask for someone to call you. They may offer some $$ off to keep it. Maybe at least 10-15% more so they don't have to process the return.

Also, is it just me or the photo's or is the finish a matte finish, not gloss? If it's suppose to be matte or flat then fine, but it looks like it didn't get buffed out.

Aster

So wasn't it listed as a Condition 1 or 2 or something like that? If it was listed as "new" for the price, then send them your photo's (to customer support) and ask for someone to call you. They may offer some $$ off to keep it. Maybe at least 10-15% more so they don't have to process the return.

Also, is it just me or the photo's or is the finish a matte finish, not gloss? If it's suppose to be matte or flat then fine, but it looks like it didn't get buffed out.

Aster

The back is matte finish. These were offered at $419 around xmas time and they took an online coupon code at an additional 15% off. My final price was $356 with the EPI hsc....yep, a great deal as I had been gassing over one of the traditionals for quite some time. It's a great player and the Pups with the coil tapping are the best I've ever experienced on an Epi and seem better to my ears than the Burstbuckers on my Gibson faded studio.

I do believe that when one purchases anything new, regardless of price paid, it should be in relatively perfect condition. Of course, there are certain tolerances that perfection falls under and this is one of those situations because it came set up very well out of the box, sounds and plays beyond my expectations. So, risk returning it for one that may not have that certain something that makes it equal to this one from a players standpoint but that is free from aesthetic flaws or just accept this one as having a couple signature scars that makes it all the more unique?

There are a couple other areas where the stain wasn't fully saturated, very minor but it's obvious this one slipped through when it probably should have been a 2nd.

I had to wait about 5 weeks to get this one (the goldtops sell out quickly); not sure if they'd have another in que ready to ship.

I'll call and discuss it with MF. Another discount would certainly give me reason to pause and strongly consider keeping it. I love the beefy neck on this, it's just the right circumference and is the main reason I ordered it (which was before I scored the Gibby Studio whose neck is almost identical but has that very distinct Gibson feel to it).

Thanks for the feedback everybody. It's always nice to know what others might do [thumbup]

O.K. MF is willing to knock off another $31 bringing the price down to $325. Man, that's a pretty slick deal with the HSC. The Goldtop is on back order until Feb 25th. What to do? If I keep it I'll feel like I got a blem but at least it's not stamped 2nd on the back. If I return it they will pay for the shipping. [confused]

O.K. MF is willing to knock off another $31 bringing the price down to $325. Man, that's a pretty slick deal with the HSC. The Goldtop is on back order until Feb 25th. What to do? If I keep it I'll feel like I got a blem but at least it's not stamped 2nd on the back. If I return it they will pay for the shipping. [confused]

That's pretty cool of MF to do that. I had thought you got the original price you did because it was a blemished guitar. I say you really should keep the one you got if it plays well and to your liking. If the those blemishes are so minor that you have to really look close for them then I wouldn't think they're all that bad. Keep in mind that Gibson charges a lot extra for blemishes - they call it "Aging."

The Trad Pro LP at Guitar Center goes for $499 w/o case. For the price you paid minus the additonal discount and you got a case, I'd say you have a keeper there.

....It's a great player and the Pups with the coil tapping are the best I've ever experienced on an Epi and seem better to my ears than the Burstbuckers on my Gibson faded studio.

...sounds and plays beyond my expectations.

.....I love the beefy neck on this, it's just the right circumference and is the main reason I ordered it

...MF is willing to knock off another $31 bringing the price down to $325. Man, that's a pretty slick deal with the HSC.

KEEP IT! [thumbup]

That's pretty cool of MF to do that. I had thought you got the original price you did because it was a blemished guitar. I say you really should keep the one you got if it plays well and to your liking. If the those blemishes are so minor that you have to really look close for them then I wouldn't think they're all that bad. Keep in mind that Gibson charges a lot extra for blemishes - they call it "Aging."

The Trad Pro LP at Guitar Center goes for $499 w/o case. For the price you paid minus the additonal discount and you got a case, I'd say you have a keeper there.

Well, I didn't have to look too closely, they are pretty obvious but are on the rear of the lower bout and behind the set neck so not obvious at all looking from the front. Still, with the case thrown in $325 is a great deal. The guitar came as new, packed by Epi and included all the case candy. So, I can probably live with these imperfections and if I remain ambivalent I have 30 days to decide.

I ordered a Gretsch case from MF for my Gretsch G5120 a while back, and it arrived with some gouges and scratches (see pics). The handle was also really scratched up - it was on the other side of the handle in the pic here..

I guess it wasn't that big of a deal in this case (no pun intended). But I just wanted them to be aware that some of these new cases were being shipped out with imperfections - as I didn't order a "B stock" case...

The scratches didn't affect the integrity of the case, but I called them and told them of the dings (and offered to send proof photos). They said don't bother to send the photos, apologized, and they took 10% off the price (credited me). I thanked them and was happy with the 10% credit.

But you got an incredible deal anyway at $325 now w/ HSC, so you might want to just keep it and forget about the imperfections..

Gretsch_case_DSCN3851pb.jpg

Gretsch_case_P1010785pb.jpg

Gretsch_case_P1010786pb.jpg

Gretsch_case_DSCN3845pb.jpg

Are you a person who plays out, a lot? If so, those blemishes will be added to, in short order,

and will (most likely) cease to be a concern. As long as it's structurally sound, and plays well,

sounds great, etc....Keep it! If, on the other hand, you're picky, about the finish, at all...send

it back! You should receive a "perfect" guitar, but...that doesn't always happen, and we decide,

if we're willing to put up with, overlook, certain cosmetic problems, or not! Do what you feel is

prudent, and you'll be most comfortable with, in the long run.

CB

Hey, if you're happy with the guitar for the price you paid, then that's all to the good.

Still a pretty rough-looking finish though. Doesn't do Epiphone QC a whole lot of credit for a brand-new guitar, shipped to the customer from an authorized dealer.

Personally, I like my guitars dipped in glass...

DSCF0336.jpg

I don't know if you're really "handy" or not with wood finishes. If the poly is really thick around that you might be able to do some buffing and get some of that out so you don't see the indents as much. You know, lower the area around it. Course now, you have to be careful to avoid going thru the finish on edges as that is where it's the thinnest. For me, I risk doing ALL that stuff. I've been able to minimize almost any defect as long as there's still finish on the top. If not, take it in to a good shop and see if they think some buffing would melt some of that "pitting" out. You can always add the matte look back.

I had to learn, and it was hard, to not "look" for any imperfections on my gits as much. Worst lesson in my life has been that objects are "not perfect" & I can't do "perfect" work either. Perfection is unobtainable. Excellence however, is. And that's what to strive & look for. Esp. if it's in areas I can't see while playing. Now if it's on a big $$ investment guitar (no disrespect to the price as that's a really great "steal" IMHO) then I have a different outlook. You can still take the $$ discount from MF and ask a Epi warranty station if there is any warranty coverage on a "blem" with a 1st guitar (not a blem or 2nd) and it being new out of the box. Worst they can tell you is no. Best is they may pay for the buff job (THAT's BUFF JOB)!!! [flapper]

Aster

Archived