Gibson Brands Forums

What is your go to chord?

daveinspain

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with ya Dave, except I use the G in the first or open position. I play mine a little different than most, I add the 3 fret on the B string. This gives it nice twang and open feel.

E A D G B E

3. 2. 0. 0. 2. 2

EADGBE

3x0033 this G sings out nice with some gain, same with this two c

x 3 x 0 1 x

x 3 x 0 3 3

this one to sound really clean with gain

0 2 2 x 0 0

but no chord are cooler for me than

x 0 2 2 x/2 x/0

I agree with ya Dave, except I use the G in the first or open position. I play mine a little different than most, I add the 3 fret on the B string. This gives it nice twang and open feel.

E A D G B E

3. 2. 0. 0. 2. 2

It seems everytime I play a G this way, I always seem to play a D next. Just such an easy transition.

I don't understand what that stuff means.

I guess i should stop posting, because this topic has left me in the dust

I too am self-taught but I've opened a chord book once or twice. When talking to other guitar players, you can't refer to a chord as "the where you put this finger there and that finger there...." Well you can, it just takes too long. Just like saying, do you know my buddy Joe? As compared to do you know the guy with the balding spot and the beard, you know he always is riding his bike everywhere and wears small t-shirts?

Perhaps that's a bad example but you see what I mean. It's quicker and easier to have a name/label for things. You'll have to learn them.

I too am self-taught but I've opened a chord book once or twice. When talking to other guitar players, you can't refer to a chord as "the where you put this finger there and that finger there...." Well you can, it just takes too long. Just like saying, do you know my buddy Joe? As compared to do you know the guy with the balding spot and the beard, you know he always is riding his bike everywhere and wears small t-shirts?

Perhaps that's a bad example but you see what I mean. It's quicker and easier to have a name/label for things. You'll have to learn them.

Good point and it's a must if you want to communicate with other artists/musicians....

Guest farnsbarns

320022?

Do you not all mean 320033? That would be repeating the root at the third fret on the high E and a repeated 5th on the B, a nice chord.

Adding a 7th (not flattened) on the high E string would sound dissonant I think. I'll try it when I get home.

Lud, was it you who posted that you're teaching now?

320022?

Do you not all mean 320033? Adding a 7th (not flattened) on the #1 e string would sound dissonant I think. I'll try it when I get home.

Lud, was it you who posted that you're teaching now?

That's what I thought too... I played the G fretting the b and high e on the second fret and it was like... Hmmmm He must mean the third fret...

Never really thought about it but for some reason when I pick up a guitar I kind of slam a first position A chord, using my second two fingers flat on the strings. Don't know why.

The I tend go to open form of G to check tuning.

320022?

Do you not all mean 320033? That would be repeating the root at the third fret on the high E and a flattened (diminished) 7th on the B string which makes it a G7, a nice chord.

I think 320033 is just a G chord, G B D G D G , root -third- fifth-root-fith-root . Gonna need an F in there somewhe to get the G7.

The 32022 is a real wiredo. If you try and spell it as a G chord, it's root -third- fifth-root- flat 5 - Maj7, "G maj7 partially diminished" - nasty!

Archived