Gibson Brands Forums

Underrated Guitarists

rocketman

Since there was a topic talking about SRV being the most overrated guitarist, I thought it would be appropriate to ask the group who you think is the most underrated guitarist in your opinion. I have a list, but I'll only give one. For me, it's Alex Lifeson. It's not that he's really underrated because he does get a lot of attention. But I think he would get a lot more attention if he wasn't surrounded by one of the best bassist and drummer ever. His solos are very melodic and each one is unique. He can bring the speed when he wants (e.g. Freewill) but also plays with a lot creativity (e.g. Limelight). Plus he knows a lot about music (e.g., YYZ is written in Spanish Phrygian). Also, check him out playing "All Along the Watchtower" at

I'd have to say

Ric Emmet (Triumph)

He can play anything from Rock, Classical, to Jazz with ease and he really knows his music/theory... I just wish he did more than "beginner" articles for Guitar Player when he wrote for them.

I'd have to say

Ric Emmet (Triumph)

He can play anything from Rock' date=' Classical, to Jazz with ease and he really knows his music/theory... I just wish he did more than "beginner" articles for Guitar Player when he wrote for them.[/quote']

Got to see him play a lot. I still have the Guitar Player issue from July 1987 that has the "Canadian Guitar Summit" on the cover, which included Alex Lifeson, Rik Emmett, Liona Boyd and Ed Bickert playing together...

Okay I got two!!!

Jimmy Nalls he was part of Dr. Johns band MySpace southern rock guy who founded the band Sea Level swampy, soul.... great slide player as well.

Oh and then there Jack Pearson Web Site his work on Greg Allman's Search for Simplicity on slide and guitar is my all time favorite.

The most underrated guitarist ?

for me, it'd have to be Frank Marino

his playing is simply phenomenal !

www.mahoganyrush.com

there's an mp3 player on the site, and his whole catalog is available for listening

Oh, and there's a fan forum too...i'm a member there also(same user name) stop by and say "Hi"

for me' date=' it'd have to be Frank Marino

www.mahoganyrush.com

there's an mp3 player on the site, and his whole catalog is available for listening

Oh, and there's a fan forum too...i'm a member there also(same user name) stop by and say "Hi"[/quote']

+1. Frank is amazing. I don't know if I'd call him under rated though. He's kind of obscure as far as popular music goes, but almost anyone who knows about him would list him as one of the best.

for me' date=' it'd have to be Frank Marino

www.mahoganyrush.com

Oh, and there's a fan forum too...i'm a member there also(same user name) stop by and say "Hi"[/quote']

I almost listed Frank in this thread, but decided to go with Emmett instead. In my book Rik Emmett seems more well rounded in multiple styles.

I saw Frank Marino in an old gutted movie theatre in down town Chicago back in the 80's... simply awesome!

Phil Keaggey - Even though he's a Christian artist I'm amazed at how many people have never heard of him.

Unbelievable guitarist.

Terry Kath - Great player who was the rock and soul of Chicago's early years. His early death a real tragedy.

Elliott Easton - Lead guitarist for the Cars. Take a listen to their first 2 albums again. Everyone of his solos are pop music perfection

Archived