Gibson Brands Forums

The saga of the broken thumbnail.......

onewilyfool

I have acrylic nails, and they are usually tough as nails (lol) but broke one this week. had to go get a repair, and when she cut my thumb nail, she cut it tooooooo short. When I started playing, I noticed I was rubbing the side of my thumb on the strings. because the nail wasn't long enough.....darn it!!! So I had to go with the thumb pick. It took me a while to get used to, but, I did, and played with it for almost a week now, still waiting for the thumb nail to grow back. I can now play with ease, but still make some pick related mistakes, and I just don't have the "feel" of playing like I do with my nail. Oddly enough some of the mistakes are on my fretting hand, and I just didn't realize how much back and forth feedback goes on between the left and right hand during the playing. I've also tried just about every type of finger pick known to man, and just can't seem to find any that give me the feel of the bare fingers with acrylic nails. This may all be moot, as it seems that with modern pickup technology, the need for louder acoustic sound via finger picks may be a thing of the past. Still, I see players like Keb'mo with mic'd or amped acoustics still using finger and thumb picks, and I don't understand the need, unless they are looking for a certain sound. I have NOT been able to find that pleasing sound, as the metal fingerpicks create a jangly sound to my ears, and the plastic thumbpicks, although adding more bass, are beyond me how they can be used for strumming, although I see many pros strumming and getting a GREAT sound out of thumb picks (Tommy Emanuel for examaple). Just find the whole finger pick thing frustrating.....lol...What is your experience???

I never played with picks, I play with my fingers, but not only with my nails.

If I play chords I go down with my forefinger and up with my thumb (there I do use the flat of the nail)

If I play lead / solo I do that with the flesh of my fingers and the nail. I am happy with that sound.

I even get Flageolette out if it that way (sorry no clue how to call it in English, overtones? ZZ Top plays them a lot :) )

You like riding bareback, you're gonna get awful blisters!

Perhaps try a set of standard Dunlop Mediums - thumb and perhaps one finger for a while (get the up and down strokes going for a shuffle feel) and like someone else mentioned on this forum a while back, don't take them off at all! So in the next six months never play guitar without picks. Just keep going - you've already learned how to use the things.

And while we are being sadistic, Bob Brozman has some thumb and 2 finger pick exercises that are sensational on a few of his videos. I think I posted a link a while back, but the one I know of is on his beginner bottleneck videos.

BluesKing777.

No nails, no finger picks. Kelly Joe Phelps got tired of worrying about breaking nails so he took the time to learn fingerstyle without the aid of nails or picks. Check him out. I would encourage all fingerstyle players to learn this way. What you lose: a little volume, maybe. What you gain: freedom.

I tried growing my nails out, and had them for a while, but with my job, they split and break off really easy, so I gave it up, and now I either use a thumb pick and fingers, or just fingers. I gave up trying to grow out my nails. It was a hassle to me.

No nails, no finger picks. Kelly Joe Phelps got tired of worrying about breaking nails so he took the time to learn fingerstyle without the aid of nails or picks. Check him out. I would encourage all fingerstyle players to learn this way. What you lose: a little volume, maybe. What you gain: freedom.

Amen to that......

It also helps that he's playing using a soundhole pickup as well. It is tough trying to learn how to project while playing fingerstyle without nails, but it all seems to be in the attack.

First, I have to come to grips with the entire concept of fingerpicking.

What's scary to me is that I will be working in SF for some months later this year and next year. And I do have a fairly long thumbnail......

I've used the meat of my fingers/thumb since the folkie days of the early sixties .... fingerpicking being required in those days.... one reason I favored the AJ ..... get some volumn. Alas, since old age has overtaken me (how did that happen?) my pickin' thumb often cracks in the winter if I neglect it, making fingerpicking painful. Ah yes, young folks, it'll happen to you too when you are old and broke down.

This calls for the oh-so-manly do-it-yourself fix. I use a thumb pick and artificial nails. I used to go to a salon for nails, but for the past decade I've done my own. I use silk wraps and superglue and then file them smooth. Here is my recommended product.

I have literally broken a nail carrying my gear into a gig and had a brand new, functional nail in 10 minutes.

I have only very recently started growing my nails for picking after many years of using just the 'meat' of the hand as Rambler would say.

It's a completely different sound you can achieve with the nail instead of the bare skin, brighter with more attack which suits the HB more IMHO. After being directed to James Taylor's sight and his video of fitting his own nails from, a post here; I was about to start doing some research as to where to source the materials so thanks for that link JT.

I remember seeing the Eric Clapton unplugged video where he has some sort of what looks like tape on his fingers ( if I remember correct ) I assumed because he usually uses a pick he may have been rehearsing for the show and got some blisters.

Seems to fit your own nails would be a good idea.. the James Taylor sight video shows him going through the process.

John S. Hurt, Paul Geremia and Ry Cooder all play with the meat of the hand. Here's Paul:

That said, you can use the thumbpick to get some strong brush strokes on chords and 'tings. Rev. Davis would do that. Practice makes prefect, as they say.

That is deffo not with the meat of his hand / fingers...look at his nail...9 inch long!

Well, Rob...to be more clear...I have acrylic nails on my right thumb, pointer finger, middle finger and ring finger....and....NO POLISH!!!....lol

HAHAHA.... well, you know the story 'bout some guy who dropped his wallet over in San Francisco..... had to kick it all the way to Oakland before he dared to bend over to pick it up!

I have acrylic nails, and they are usually tough as nails (lol) but broke one this week. had to go get a repair, and when she cut my thumb nail, she cut it tooooooo short. When I started playing, I noticed I was rubbing the side of my thumb on the strings. because the nail wasn't long enough.....darn it!!! So I had to go with the thumb pick. It took me a while to get used to, but, I did, and played with it for almost a week now, still waiting for the thumb nail to grow back. I can now play with ease, but still make some pick related mistakes, and I just don't have the "feel" of playing like I do with my nail. Oddly enough some of the mistakes are on my fretting hand, and I just didn't realize how much back and forth feedback goes on between the left and right hand during the playing. I've also tried just about every type of finger pick known to man, and just can't seem to find any that give me the feel of the bare fingers with acrylic nails. This may all be moot, as it seems that with modern pickup technology, the need for louder acoustic sound via finger picks may be a thing of the past. Still, I see players like Keb'mo with mic'd or amped acoustics still using finger and thumb picks, and I don't understand the need, unless they are looking for a certain sound. I have NOT been able to find that pleasing sound, as the metal fingerpicks create a jangly sound to my ears, and the plastic thumbpicks, although adding more bass, are beyond me how they can be used for strumming, although I see many pros strumming and getting a GREAT sound out of thumb picks (Tommy Emanuel for examaple). Just find the whole finger pick thing frustrating.....lol...What is your experience???

I feel the same way about thumbpicks. Fingerpicks are useless to me, but I found that sanding down the edge of thumbpicks(almost to the point of hitting bare skin) makes it easier to strum. My biggest problem was the weird angle you have to hold your hand to strum with a regular thumbpick. Without the extra length, it makes it a bit easier and feels more natural.

If it's of any help, Alaska Piks and Kelly Slick Pick have worked for me for years. I shape them both to my

needs. You need to keep my nails only long enough for the Alaskas to hold (not very long).

I like the tone (YMMV) and the freedom from nail care and harsh chemicals.

Before and after reshaping:

compare.jpg

If it's of any help, Alaska Piks and Kelly Slick Pick have worked for me for years. I shape them both to my

needs. You need to keep my nails only long enough for the Alaskas to hold (not very long).

compare.jpg

Hmmmmm.......do you suppose this is the innocent way Freddy Kruguer started out....?

compare.jpg

Frosty, how do you shape yours, stock, I find them too long, but haven't got the foggiest on how to shape them.......lol

Archived