Gibson Brands Forums

GAS

Dub-T-123

Hi Dub 123 the germanium Fuzz Face like Jimi used is the one I prefer.I have an old Tim's Own Fuzzer Buzzer that was made aroung 1965-66 somewhere in New England and that the germanium in it and it makes the world of difference.As far as I know theearly Big Muff Pis from 67-68 like the one I have contained germanium.

BTW I have been following the plight of the Cort workers ever since this dispute happened.There ara nay sayers all over the place saying that the workers are just using this as a ploy but what they won't say is that the complaints have been deeply investigated by human rights workers from several United Nation's commitees and have been proven by photographic proof and court documents. there has been legal action taken some company executives and supervisors and corporal punishment and even sexual assaults on workerss have been proven conclusively.They were paid way below the legal minimum wage of Korea because the company knew that for every person that worked there were dozens deparate enough to take any job no matter how low the pay or bad the working conditions.They were also forced to work overtime without compensation also.Unfortunately there will always be people who are vehemently anti-union not realizing that if not for unions there would not be any such thing as a minimum wage,or sick leave or paid vacations in the private sector too,as it was unions that brought these items into the work forces and the private sector had no other choice but to follow suit.I'm not sure of the website right off the top of my head but I believe it is something like: http://www.cortaction.com/

I was jonesing for another chorus pedal, so I bought a BYOC analog chorus kit. Soldering it up this weekend hopefully. I also really want a good Leslie sounding pedal. I have a LovePedal Pickle Vibe on my board now and it's nice, but not quite as deep and swirly as I'd like to to. Thinking about the H&K Rotosphere or the Tech 21 RotoChoir pedal.

@ Riffster Regarding the Cort dispute:As with a lot of companies that treat workers worse than cattle,Cort shut down its Korean plant rather than be compelled to abide by fair labour practices and pay their workers government sanctioned wages. Like a lot of companies who like to circumvent fair labour laws and practices they moved their operations lock,stock and barrel to China where despots are welcomed with open arms.The workers of the Korean plant along with international assistance have started a farming co-operative and have become self sufficent and successful.

Hi Dub 123 the germanium Fuzz Face like Jimi used is the one I prefer.I have an old Tim's Own Fuzzer Buzzer that was made aroung 1965-66 somewhere in New England and that the germanium in it and it makes the world of difference.As far as I know theearly Big Muff Pis from 67-68 like the one I have contained germanium.

I prefer the germanium Fuzz Faces as well. They don't have as much gain but they have this beautiful way of clipping..

Are you after a particular version? AC128? NKT275? The mystical SFT363E?

Check out this Fuzz Face with old AC128s that I built

photo-692.jpg

This thing sounds sooo awesome.

That Fuzzer Buzzer sounds interesting. I've never heard of it. I'd love some pics or clips if you've got any :)

I'm gonna have to read up on that Muff situation. As far as I know, they have always used silicon transistors that are quite high gain. Somewhere in the 700 hfe range I think.. That's a lot higher than what germanium transistors typically achieve. Maybe they used germanium diodes? For example, the Univox Superfuzz used silicon transistors and germanium diodes. Even the Fulltone OCD uses a germanium diode. I wouldn't really consider those germanium effects though.

WTF? Buying one instead of soldering up a clone? I don't know you anymore, man! [biggrin]

lol yeah. I got it for pretty cheap and frankly I just think that enclosure looks really cool haha. I'll probably end up modding it so there's still hope :)

What is BYOC's chorus based on. Boss CE-2?

For deep and swirly, nothing beats the Dr Scientist Cosmichorus. I'll record you a little demo of some Leslie esque sounds. Best. Chorus. Ever!

Lol those are some pretty low standards. The quality of their work looked terrible.

Jk man that's cool you should post some pics of your project.

So did you have to order it straight from China?

I've got some DIY GAS too.. I want to build a delay and a few fuzzes (Fuzzrite, Bender, Os Mutantes fuzz)

The quality is actually very good for a £25 pedal. I have a few of their pedals and find them to be sturdy and reliable. The soldering isn't too bad either seeing as its probably done in some mass production. I just enjoy taking things apart, working out how they function and maybe making them meet my needs better. You've got to learn how to mod somewhere dont yo. A few I got from people around England but this UD is coming from Hong Kong

Archived