Gibson Brands Forums

I need some suggestions folks!

DAS44

Heya everyone. I've been looking for a good book chronicling the history of Metal (as a broad term, I won't go into all the damned subgenres :P), and I was hoping you wise folk could point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

Hey, Dom, wassup?

I realize what you need is a recommendation, which I don't have. And I'm sure you're far more agile than I on ferreting out stuff from the web. So I'll just say hi and wish you luck.

smiley-signs061.gif

86.gif

:o Heya Cruzn! Long time no see eh? How's it been?

(I'll happily allow this little aside :P)

Heya everyone. I've been looking for a good book chronicling the history of Metal (as a broad term, I won't go into all the damned subgenres :P), and I was hoping you wise folk could point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

Thats hard to say as some Metal heads believe that Black Sabbath and or Deep Purple started it all and others say it was Led Zeppelin. Still others say the Beatles or Steppenwolf or Hendrix.

I think it was Rainbow (yeah, I know Blackmore was in that group) & Judas Priest as every thing before these groups are more Blues based or just way out in left field somewhere.

Thats hard to say as some Metal heads believe that Black Sabbath and or Deep Purple started it all and others say it was Led Zeppelin. Still others say the Beatles or Steppenwolf or Hendrix.

I think it was Rainbow (yeah, I know Blackmore was in that group) & Judas Priest as every thing before these groups are more Blues based or just way out in left field somewhere.

Scorpions!!!!!

I've got both of the below titles. They're great references.

The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal

Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal

Thanks! I'll check 'em out!

Oh, you mean Metal music [blink]

I thought maybe you were talking about 303 or 304 stainless steel. Or maybe 4140HT, or 1117 or maybe even inconel...or +:-@

[flapper] Funny man eh?

I know you are looking for a book but the best synthesis of the history of Heavy Metal as a broad term and that is ends right before all of the multiple branches in the early to mid-80's was posted by somebody here.

It was a link to a BBC documentary that had like 10 short parts or so.

Theres choosing death which is about grindcore and death metal. Theres also the top 500 metal records of all time book which is a good read, i was suprised by some of the records in there. Oh and Heavy Metal Fun Time Activity Book. [flapper]

Das44, what metal bands are you getting int? I remember getting you into Judas Preist.

I've been letting pandora go about it, Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden seem to come up most frequently. I've taken quite a liking to Judas Priest, looking at their other stuff elsewhere.

I've been letting pandora go about it, Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden seem to come up most frequently. I've taken quite a liking to Judas Priest, looking at their other stuff elsewhere.

Check out Witchfinder General, i think youll take a liking to them.

Check out Witchfinder General, i think youll take a liking to them.

Pandora'd/Youtubed them, I did get a kick out of them :) it's "light" enough to be in my zone of appreciation. Any other suggestions? I'd be more than happy to give 'em a listen! (that goes for all of you!)

And thanks everyone for the suggestions :) it is much appreciated

A new modern band called Ghost is pretty good, takes about 3 listens intill you finally get to liking it.

Check out Metal Church.

You might like Pentagram. You want to check out Rainbow, they are more so Hard rock but a classic.

You also want to check out Trouble, the first record defines metal and the second record is just amazing.

Archived