Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

mydeadblues

I can't believe the stupidity of some people, who in their right mind would send a guitar packed like that.

Regardless, glad it survived the trip MDB, a stunning guitar, sure looks to be in pretty good shape (minor binding issue aside), and fits right in with the group, enjoy and HNGD.

I'm floored by the fact a person would find it even remotely reasonable to ship a guitar in that manner.](*,)I would have refused delivery on that fact alone. [mad]

Just the same, glad you're able to look past that and that the guitar survived it's journey despite the lack of a cushioned outer box. Enjoy your new Riviera!

Nice guitar, I'm sure you're going to love it as much as I love mine. I guess you know it's a March '82 model already. I shouldn't worry too much about the cracking, it's probably not down to being badly packed. I noticed it on mine (an '83) at the waist in about 1990 but it's never got any worse. If you look inside it's likely you'll see no kerfling between the sides/top and sides/back. I don't know if that's unusual on semi hollows (or the reason it cracks) but it's the only one of my non-solid bodys without it.

Mine's a year newer and you can see the differences. White s/plate & trc but I swapped out the control knobs. Never liked those black ones.

Riviera_small.jpg

Nice guitar, I'm sure you're going to love it as much as I love mine. I guess you know it's a March '82 model already. I shouldn't worry too much about the cracking, it's probably not down to being badly packed. I noticed it on mine (an '83) at the waist in about 1990 but it's never got any worse. If you look inside it's likely you'll see no kerfling between the sides/top and sides/back. I don't know if that's unusual on semi hollows (or the reason it cracks) but it's the only one of my non-solid bodys without it.

Mine's a year newer and you can see the differences. White s/plate & trc but I swapped out the control knobs. Never liked those black ones.

Riviera_small.jpg

Thanks for the info! Wow your's looks stunning! I do like the gold knobs I might have to swap mine out for some of those... Have you noticed the unusually large pots?? What the hell are those things lol.

LOL, I've never had the pots out but I believe that they are fitted with dust covers which makes them so big. There was a thread here recently where a guy swapped out the PUP's for humbucker sized P90's and (I think) he said he was going to change the pots. I did say I'd be interested to hear how he got on with getting the pots out but I never saw the end of that thread. You're right though, they are huge but mine never gave any trouble (neither did the switch) in the 29 years I gigged with it. In fact, apart from the initial setup, the only work it ever needed was a very slight fret dress about ten years ago.

LOL, I've never had the pots out but I believe that they are fitted with dust covers which makes them so big. There was a thread here recently where a guy swapped out the PUP's for humbucker sized P90's and (I think) he said he was going to change the pots. I did say I'd be interested to hear how he got on with getting the pots out but I never saw the end of that thread. You're right though, they are huge but mine never gave any trouble (neither did the switch) in the 29 years I gigged with it. In fact, apart from the initial setup, the only work it ever needed was a very slight fret dress about ten years ago.

Wow that's good to know! Hopefully mine won't give me any trouble either.

Archived