Gibson Brands Forums

Why do you think people spout off on bands they dislike?

ShredAstaire

I think there's been some good points here but one of the main ones is people just want to be cool and fit in with the group they identify as their peers or who they want as peers. It's all part of the cork sniffer mentality if your a guitar player for some reason your just supposed to automatically dislike certain groups. Nickleback and/or Billie Jo Armstrong is a perfect example here you have a hard working group of guys that hit it big, sure there music is pop driven rock but that's what sells albums and that's what they are supposed to do in a mega band. It's a job not a mission from god. the reverse is true too again because your a musician your supposed to like certain groups or players that the non playing general public supposedly don't get! - I think the best example I can think of here is Buckethead or Slash there a minority of players that seem to judge how cool and how "real" of a musician you are by whether or not you get these cool and obscure players. It's all just the same mentality as somebody that only think music from the 70's and earlier is good all part of the I'm cooler than the average person test.

Personally I wish I had the talent and the incredible luck it takes to be a huge sellout I'm happy enough doing gigs for 200 people or less but I'd love to have a platinum album and fill huge arena's of screaming fans, that would have to be a major rush. It's also kind of the basic goal of being a professional musician so I've never understood the sellout term. Sure I love doing my own art and make a good living, but if i could paint pictures of soup cans and become as wealthy as Andy Warhol hell yeah yes I'd do it and then I'd do the art I love,s as side projects just like most popular bands do.

Haters gotta hate I guess?

Oh almost forgot then there's Steve who randomly puts out a post about a band he hates - just to start a argument and then he watches it laughing at swilling vodka. [cool]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, I have recently found myself loving some bands who I never was so hot on before. Dio, Sabbath, and Priest are among those "metal" bands I've taken a liking to. That's a big part of why I try not to be horribly negative about any music... if I find myself liking it later on... then what?

Those are 3 awesome bands to listen to,if you dont alrdy have it,make sure you get a copy of Priest' Screamin for Vengeance and British Steel.

Great post retro!

I think its ok to be vocal about not liking a band in context of a thread on a forum....but there's gotta be a certain respect for the OP and those who DO like the band that you don't like.

After posting this thread, I saw a thread about a band that I tried to get into (and thought I liked). After a few listens to the album, I found myself wanting to listen to something else....they don't do it for me. I felt like I shouldn't post in that thread. But of course...I should be able to say something. I just have to be respectful because I don't think that the folks who like the band are stupid, because they're not...or that they don't know what good music is, because they do...

Its about respect...there's tons of bands that I like that others don't. No big deal at all. There are bands that EVERYONE seems to love, that don't do it for me. That's how the world works. There's simply no need to be rude about it. I guess that's what I was getting at with this thread. It's really the threads devoted to hating on a band that get to me. I would never start a thread about how much I hate X band...but people do it all the time. Steve, i'm looking in your direction. (But he's doing it for fun most of the time I suspect)

So yeah..stuff and junk.

Just because it sells doesn't mean it is good. Billions of people continue to eat from McDonalds, but would I choose to go there for a burger? No. I support my local fast food joints (as in the ones that AREN'T corporations) that have good food and don't advertise on a big level. Billions of people continue to listen to Lady Makes Me Gag, and that cookie cutter prefab so called singer with the weird hair, but do I listen to it? No. I don't listen to public radio, even if it is bands I like (ever hear Stairway and feel like turning it off even though you like Zep? I love Zeppelin and they're definitely one of my favorite groups and a big part of my musical history, but I wanna listen to Good Times Bad Times and Lemon Song not Black Dog and the aforementioned Stairway To Heaven. Go Figure.). I like to pop in my CD versions of 2112 and my various KISS cds (Alive II is currently in my car. I go straight to Rocket Ride. One of Ace's best songs and definitely some of Peter's best drumming of all time!), or listen to Sirius XM.

Just because it sells doesn't mean it is good.

Yes it does.

Billions of people continue to eat from McDonalds, but would I choose to go there for a burger? No.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good. [biggrin]

See how I did that?

Hmm the above post from Kaleb is a perfect example of why this is so strange to me. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Lady Gaga, I think she's talented and smart in her production and in the way she advertises and promotes herself. Plus if you've ever heard her speak she's normal down to earth and definitely understands that lady gaga is a act and not her true persona. She also has some great charities and is donation a tremendous amount of her own money and even rarer time into the things she believes in like stopping bullying and people accepting differences in each other. So do I listen to her music? rarely I'm no a big pop fan but do i dislike her? Hell know like I said she's talented and living her life that way she want's to and making millions more power to her.

Just because it sells doesn't mean it is good. Billions of people continue to eat from McDonalds, but would I choose to go there for a burger? No. I support my local fast food joints (as in the ones that AREN'T corporations) that have good food and don't advertise on a big level. Billions of people continue to listen to Lady Makes Me Gag, and that cookie cutter prefab so called singer with the weird hair, but do I listen to it? No. I don't listen to public radio, even if it is bands I like (ever hear Stairway and feel like turning it off even though you like Zep? I love Zeppelin and they're definitely one of my favorite groups and a big part of my musical history, but I wanna listen to Good Times Bad Times and Lemon Song not Black Dog and the aforementioned Stairway To Heaven. Go Figure.). I like to pop in my CD versions of 2112 and my various KISS cds (Alive II is currently in my car. I go straight to Rocket Ride. One of Ace's best songs and definitely some of Peter's best drumming of all time!), or listen to Sirius XM.

This is the exact type of post I am talking about.

If it sells, its good to someone...likely many hundreds of thousands of someones. You may not fit into that group, but that doesn't make you right and them wrong. You have a different set of criteria that other people do and you need to recognize that. Although I suppose music forums would be a lot more boring if everyone thought that way eh?

I think different music gives different people music boners....and no matter who you are or what you are listening to...music boners are pretty cool.

This is the exact type of post I am talking about.

If it sells, its good to someone...likely many hundreds of thousands of someones. You may not fit into that group, but that doesn't make you right and them wrong. You have a different set of criteria that other people do and you need to recognize that. Although I suppose music forums would be a lot more boring if everyone thought that way eh?

I think different music gives different people music boners....and no matter who you are or what you are listening to...music boners are pretty cool.

My point? Some people base their taste in music on what just happens to be "hip" and hot at the time. They just take in what they're fed. I mean, if everyone knew what EXACTLY was in a Big Mac, do you think McDonalds would survive? I don't think so. If someone likes the acts that do not, I don't ever criticize them, but I know they're missing out on a lot of great music due to lack of exposure to anything else besides the hits. Well, "normal" people take what is given, and people like me fight back or resort to our own music mining. Like in the 70s, everyday listeners listened to Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, the commercial funk bands (run of the mill stuff that was often showcased on Soul Train), or popular rock music like Foghat, Foreigner, Led Zeppelin, and other commercial rock bands. Had I been around back then, I would have been listening to Deep Purple, Sabbath, Rush, and KISS. You fight back to get music you like played on the radio. That's how the KISS Army was started. That mentality is what has kept Rush around.

My point? Some people base their taste in music on what just happens to be "hip" and hot at the time. They just take in what they're fed. I mean, if everyone knew what EXACTLY was in a Big Mac, do you think McDonalds would survive? I don't think so. If someone likes the acts that do not, I don't ever criticize them, but I know they're missing out on a lot of great music due to lack of exposure to anything else besides the hits. Well, "normal" people take what is given, and people like me fight back or resort to our own music mining. Like in the 70s, everyday listeners listened to Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, the commercial funk bands (run of the mill stuff that was often showcased on Soul Train), or popular rock music like Foghat, Foreigner, Led Zeppelin, and other commercial rock bands. Had I been around back then, I would have been listening to Deep Purple, Sabbath, Rush, and KISS. You fight back to get music you like played on the radio. That's how the KISS Army was started. That mentality is what has kept Rush around.

So you're saying that Deep Purple, Kiss and Rush were not popular commercial acts?

I got news for you kids. The good old days that you can't remember because you weren't born yet were never as good as you want to think they were. In fact it was a lot like things are right now.

I think music today is better than it's ever been in the history of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrOUwbsy12E

And it just keeps getting better and better.

At work, there is a radio that plays classic rock. Every time Queen comes on with any song, esp. "Bohemian Rhapsody," I think, "God, that is an awful song!" Then someone starts a thread praising Queen, and I have to vent. I must say that when Matt posted a Queen song done completely different than the original, I was floored with how good it sounded. So what is it that I don't like about Queen? Freddy Mercury? Brian May? The typically disjoined and unrelated melodies within one song? Their classical influences? I can't put a finger on it.

To me, the only good thing about the Bicycle album was the inside cover.

...So what is it that I don't like about Queen?...

Might it be that you just dislike their orchestrations and the overall Queen 'Package' of sounds - not the actual songs themselves?

:-k

20-odd years ago I was (cack-handedly) playing through some songs on an acoustic at home and after about 15 mins my father said "Those were nice. Who wrote them?". They were all Beatles songs.

Now, my father absolutely HATED The Beatles. I was just fumbling my way through them, fingerpicking-style, and he simply couldn't believe those lovely melodies were the same ones he'd despised all those years.

Take the same songs out of their usual context and they sound completely different.

Just a possibility.

P.

Re..Queen...

An interesting topic in it's own right...

A personal opinion or two...

Compared to the Beatles...Queen, with all their virtuosity and originality, somehow lacked the depth, imagination and humour of the fab 4

A tendency to 'over-egg' the pudding with multi-track vocals and guitar (mind-boggling though it is)

Often strident sounding vocals, albeit very powerful, can get wearing at times

I listen to Queen about 1/10th as much as the Beatles

But then again...Queen were at the very top of stadium rock...unbeatable musically and visually...

V

:-({|=

Might it be that you just dislike their orchestrations and the overall Queen 'Package' of sounds - not the actual songs themselves?

:-k

20-odd years ago I was (cack-handedly) playing through some songs on an acoustic at home and after about 15 mins my father said "Those were nice. Who wrote them?". They were all Beatles songs.

Now, my father absolutely HATED The Beatles. I was just fumbling my way through them, fingerpicking-style, and he simply couldn't believe those lovely melodies were the same ones he'd despised all those years.

Take the same songs out of their usual context and they sound completely different.

Just a possibility.

P.

Well and precisely put, Pip, thank you. [thumbup]

LOL Shred,this IS exactly what this thread is about,i went thru an Ace phase too when i thought he was the greatest,but i didnt shove it in peoples faces every time someone mentioned another musician.Back in the day i thought Elton John and Cher sucked cuz they didnt play the heavy music i liked,i grew out of it and realized every artist has his/her niche,as well as thier place in music history.I still dont care for Cher per say but just cuz she doesnt write songs like KISS/Zepplin or sing like Pat Benatar doesnt mean she sucks.Hang in there man,there IS life after Ace.

Popularity of "musical"act or their "music" doesn't at all make them good,case in point: Justa Beaver-his fan base is probably composed of 98% pre-pubescent girls who have the consummmate musical knowledge of a clam.His only redeeming quality is that he possesses that girlie-boy lost puppy look that this particular age group is drawn to.This type of idolatry goes on in just about every genre of music to a certain extent,for instance what took place in a local "talent" show. A young lady of about 13 or 14 years of age did an amazingly good job of playing an excerpt from a Mozart violin concerto and a trio of young guys who barely had rudimentary ability on guitar and accordion stumbled through a couple of Irish/Newfoundland songs (which are incredibly popular here) needless to say the young virtuoso was outvoted and the 3 novices were the audience favourites.I think that the listening public of this day and age have the lowest amount of musical knowledge and interest of all time.In the 60s and 70s music was of huge interest to the 15-25 age group and their musical interests on the whole were quite sophisticated compared to that of today's young people.It seems that these days the only young people who express any interest and display any knowledge of what is truly good,are in fact young musicians.The general population of young people are musically obtuse and are drawn moreso to the dancing,videos and outfits that an entertainer wears than the quality of their music.As for the music,the melodies are really just throw away drivel that's on par with commercial jingles and is more likely to be successful if it has a booming bass line(so they can blast the mud off their cars with the sub-woofers)and a danceable beat.Granted there is great music being made today such as that of the previously mentioned Alabama Shakes,Nada Surf,Midlake,The Jayhawks and many more but unfortunately they receive precious little airplay because most stations cater to the whims of the majority who are unfortunately not tuned into what truly good music is.

It's all around man. Go find it.

Correct.

For generations people have gotten used to "movements" basically a new music genre/movement came out and it was easy to find music because it was provided to you. Right now and since the mid-90s there has not been a defined large movement so it is assumed that you cannot find music because they think all that's on the radio sucks.

Some folks even attach themselves to movements retroactively, like all the kids that were NOT there when Grunge came out but somehow they go back and identify with that movement.

Archived