Gibson Brands Forums

Is it true that you can't shred on a Les Paul

rhoadspro

I was waiting with baited breath for someone to post Buckethead. That cat has his own signature Les Paul model.

I love the Buckethead. I'm really wanting to play one of his sig Les Pauls. Sounds right up my ally.

Les Paul had the ability to play very fast on the Les Paul - as many others who followed him.

Playing fast on the guitar takes putting in the time. It doesn't come overnight for most, and it takes years of dedication for others.

If it was instant gratification, anyone could do it.

Insights and incites by Notes

PS, I always got a chuckle out of the fact that Les developed the solid body guitar with heavy, resonant wood so it would sustain longer than the current archtop electrics - and then he played so blazingly fast, he never sustained anything. (I do love his playing.)

some of the FINEST shredders play a Lester:

Randy Rhodes

Slash

LES PAUL... duh...

Zakk Wylde

Gary Moore

Billy Gibbons

Ect............

Playing fast on the guitar takes putting in the time. It doesn't come overnight for most, and it takes years of dedication for others.

If it was instant gratification, anyone could do it.

The above statement, and Tommy K's Quote in my sig are probably the two most intelligent things I have ever read here.

Uh, Jeff Watson of Night Ranger (did a 7 finger tap on a Les Paul Custom), Phil X (although he plays Yamaha SGs but still not a "shred guitar"), Alex Lifeson, Bruce Kulick, Mick Mars (in the early Crue days). Hell, Yngwie shreds on a Strat with low output pickups and that wouldn't be considered a "shred guitar (apart from the scalloped fingerboard and the YJM name...)" now would it?

Clearly the point has been made you CAN shred on a Les Paul. Some guitars have a flatter radius and thinner neck, which MAY make it "easier" to shred, but the initial technical proficiency needs to be there for any difference to be noticed. Shred away!

I love the Buckethead. I'm really wanting to play one of his sig Les Pauls. Sounds right up my ally.

Not a huge fan of that style of instrumental music, but he is the A #1 rebuttal to that silly question Is it true that you can't shred on a Les Paul. And his signature Les Paul is killer looking.

Archived