Gibson Brands Forums

whats youre favorite brand/type of pickup?

nikko18

It depends on the guitar and what I'm looking for. The only time I replace pickups when there is a specific quality that I want to tweak and I do some research to narrow down the field regardless of who made the pickups.

I'm happy with the way all of my current guitars sound; the only one of them that has something besides stock pickups is my Strat which has a custom set made by Don Mare.

i like gibson pickups. 57's and BB's are great.

...weren't you just asking about those 2 pickups like yesterday? You ordered them, they got to you, you installed them and had time to play enough to know they are the best, in just one day?

God they really are fast up north...

Anyone tried Guitar Fetish pickups? Apparently they are the only "commercial" maker to make DeArmond 2K sized humbuckers (the dearmonds are just oversized single coils)... I think I'm buying some but am a little afraid 'cause I have never heard anything (good or bad) about them.

I lean towards DiMarzio pickups probably because I've been using their pups the longest - at least for aftermarket pups. From what I remember, DiMarzio was the only aftermarket pick-up in the 70's/early 80's. I could be wrong about that, but they were the only ones that I was familiar with.

Having said that, I have a single coil size humbucker in a home made strat (Bridge position) and it is a Seymour Duncan and it sounds great too.

At one time my brother put a Bill Lawrence in his strat... that was a long time ago....

I generally stick with DiMarzio but I do like the sound of Gibson 57's.

Anyone tried Guitar Fetish pickups? Apparently they are the only "commercial" maker to make DeArmond 2K sized humbuckers (the dearmonds are just oversized single coils)... I think I'm buying some but am a little afraid 'cause I have never heard anything (good or bad) about them.

They get a bit of talk over at the alt.guitar Usenet group and most of it seems to be positive but I've never tried them myself. Some stuff I've read is that they're a little inconsistent but, if you're buying just one set and haven't heard them before, I don't know how much that matters anyway as long as you like what you get. They're certainly VERY inexpensive so it'd be cheap enough to try out a set.

Hey djroge

Have you tried' date=' or heard Dimarzios new 36th Anniversay pickup? Vintage output, DP 103 for the neck, and DP223 for the bridge.

I was thinking about trying them.[/quote']

Well I've read about them, but that's about it. I have recently purchased 1 Virtual Vintage bridge and 1 hot virtual vintage bridge and I'm waiting for a guitar to put them in. These Virtual vintages were replaced by the 36th annversary pups.

I found an on-line store going out of business and got a pretty good deal - gtrheaven I think is their name. It was either 39 or 49 per pickup.

are you talking about in les pauls .In different guitars I like different pickups.For my LP I'm not sure.I know I do not like the 498t in any guitar I've heard it in so far.I'll have 2 of those setting around soon.I ordered a Classic 57 plus for me lp just today,see how I like that when it gets here

Anyone tried Guitar Fetish pickups?

I haven't tried their humbuckers. I have one of their pups in the bridge spot of my Telecaster though, and I like it a lot. I am ogling their '69 Strat set as well, and I have thought about trying on of their P90 in a full size package type of pups.

I'm a big fan of Seymour Duncans. I had them in all of my Ibanez guitars. The Screamin ' Demon, Invader and Dimebucker were my favorite bridge models and the '59 and Alnico II Pro are great in the neck. I've never really cared for Dimarzio's, they seemed to lack something that the Duncan's didn't, the PAF and PAF Pro aren't half bad though. The Fender Hot Noiseless I have in my Strat are pretty nice pickups though.

Wolfetone P-90's' date=' SD Seth's, SD Phat Cat's[/quote']

57 classics, p94, sd phat cat...hey man do you know hows the ideal eq settings when using phatcat bridge pup? i just put the phat cat in my sg reissue, and still looking for the p94t(the bridge pup), or maybe can anyone explain me the difference between the phatcats and the p94's? i mean soundwise...thanks..

Archived