Gibson Brands Forums

isn't "screamo" just a modern form of punk?

S t e v e

14 is such an angst filled year, DAS. Just remember that the best way to deal with children throwing tantrums is to deny them the attention they are craving... negative or otherwise.

[lol] I find this man funny ^

Wow I must really be getting old lol, ive never even heard the term Screamo :-k ......Just sounds like more metal to me just with a death/thrash type vocal certainly not much new about that..

I just wish people didnt have to pigeon hole everything into neat little catagories.. it is what it is, either you like it or you dont its as simple as that really.

Wow I must really be getting old lol, ive never even heard the term Screamo :-k ......Just sounds like more metal to me just with a death/thrash type vocal certainly not much new about that..

I just wish people didnt have to pigeon hole everything into neat little catagories.. it is what it is, either you like it or you dont its as simple as that really.

Not even close my friend, death metal and screamo is like soft jazz and bebop.

First of all, anything called "screamo" is probably bad......

It is offensive to my ears and it seems to be very depressing. And they look ridiculous. I mean, Van Halen, and Steve Vai back in the 80s (like when he played with DLR), not to mention KISS (and Ace in the 80s when he wore pajama pants and red cowboy boots along with his goofy hair....) looked ridiculous too, but it was in a cool way. These screamo bands seem to spend more cash on eye liner than all the ladies I know. There's a point when a guitar becomes not musical. When it is tuned so low you can't hear it, the distortion is so recycled and overkill that you can't hear the notes, and all they're doing is chugging on the low strings. It used to take soul and skill to play the guitar, and I blame all this stuff on Kurt Cobain. Sure, Johnny Ramone couldn't do much but he knew that and he still put true soul into his music. His guitar sound wasn't just a distorted mess, it was a grinding Marshall tone. There's a reason all these bands don't use the old school Marshalls (or hot-rodded Marshall style amps like Wizard, Soldano, Suhr/CAA, Friedman, Cameron, etc that are made for people who know how to play the guitar, which means I'd drive one into a rut....) in favor of Mesa, Orange, Peavey, etc. There's a reason why they scoop all their mids out. Hide's their playing.

Punk music to me is MC5, Iggy Pop, Ramones, etc. The Sex Pistols and The Clash and stuff weren't as great IMHO. Patti Smith gives me the creeps.... I love all the original punk bands. But then the Brits ruined it.

To me, heavy metal could be anything from Blue Cheer, Led Zeppelin (early Zeppelin), Sabbath, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, early KISS, etc to Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, Tygers of Pan Tang, Saxon, to the Big 4, as well as Exodus, Accept, Scorpions, etc. But this newer metal stuff (Avenged Sevenfold is decent) is not heavy at all. It's just noise to me. I think Slayer is the heaviest you can go before getting into noise territory. But then again Good Times Bad Times by Zeppelin or Strange Ways by KISS could also be the heaviest tracks on the Earth depending how you look at it.

In all earnest, all lyrics become meaningless after one start's listening to Rush on a daily basis..... But something as simple as R&R High School or any AC/DC song can be just as meaningful as any Rush tune that Neil Peart wrote the lyrics to. And you get the middle ground, like Ace Frehley's Rock Soldiers for example. And meaningful lyrics are in any song that was written by George Harrison. Something and My Sweet Lord are touching tunes that make one happy, which these screamo and death metal bands will never do for me personally.

First of all, anything called "screamo" is probably bad......

It is offensive to my ears and it seems to be very depressing. And they look ridiculous. I mean, Van Halen, and Steve Vai back in the 80s (like when he played with DLR), not to mention KISS (and Ace in the 80s when he wore pajama pants and red cowboy boots along with his goofy hair....) looked ridiculous too, but it was in a cool way. These screamo bands seem to spend more cash on eye liner than all the ladies I know. There's a point when a guitar becomes not musical. When it is tuned so low you can't hear it, the distortion is so recycled and overkill that you can't hear the notes, and all they're doing is chugging on the low strings. It used to take soul and skill to play the guitar, and I blame all this stuff on Kurt Cobain. Sure, Johnny Ramone couldn't do much but he knew that and he still put true soul into his music. His guitar sound wasn't just a distorted mess, it was a grinding Marshall tone. There's a reason all these bands don't use the old school Marshalls (or hot-rodded Marshall style amps like Wizard, Soldano, Suhr/CAA, Friedman, Cameron, etc that are made for people who know how to play the guitar, which means I'd drive one into a rut....) in favor of Mesa, Orange, Peavey, etc. There's a reason why they scoop all their mids out. Hide's their playing.

Punk music to me is MC5, Iggy Pop, Ramones, etc. The Sex Pistols and The Clash and stuff weren't as great IMHO. Patti Smith gives me the creeps.... I love all the original punk bands. But then the Brits ruined it.

To me, heavy metal could be anything from Blue Cheer, Led Zeppelin (early Zeppelin), Sabbath, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, early KISS, etc to Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, Tygers of Pan Tang, Saxon, to the Big 4, as well as Exodus, Accept, Scorpions, etc. But this newer metal stuff (Avenged Sevenfold is decent) is not heavy at all. It's just noise to me. I think Slayer is the heaviest you can go before getting into noise territory. But then again Good Times Bad Times by Zeppelin or Strange Ways by KISS could also be the heaviest tracks on the Earth depending how you look at it.

In all earnest, all lyrics become meaningless after one start's listening to Rush on a daily basis..... But something as simple as R&R High School or any AC/DC song can be just as meaningful as any Rush tune that Neil Peart wrote the lyrics to. And you get the middle ground, like Ace Frehley's Rock Soldiers for example. And meaningful lyrics are in any song that was written by George Harrison. Something and My Sweet Lord are touching tunes that make one happy, which these screamo and death metal bands will never do for me personally.

I was more blunt and dickish about it, but this. (Minus the Kurt Cobain, he was an individual, and mentally insane, still made decent music in his short fame.) Also, l2count.

I felt the same way about Punk. Fortunately, I eventually grew up.

[biggrin]

Ramones, Iggy Pop, MC5 is good punk. They made the world a better place. Sex Pistols and The Clash ruined it. Black Flag, The Melvins, etc, helped ruin it further. Nirvana combined it with pop and ruined it even more. Green Day took the pop punk thing to a new crappy level and the rest is history. I got nothin' against flannel, but I hate skinny jeans and librarian glasses. And buzzsaw punk 80s hardcore punk tone. Some of the hardcore punk bands I liked, but I'd rather listen to George Lynch or Paul Gilbert wail away than some punk spewing out power chords.

Say what you will about guys like EVH, Lynch, Gilbert, Vai, Satch (and some of the more underrated ones like Dave Meneketti of Y&T.) being boring (I'm not talking to you ChanMan), but the only musical skill (I'll admit Kurt was good with meloides, but I can't stand his tone or his voice) that was in Nirvana was Grohl's drumming. It boggles me that he could be that good on the drums and be playing alternative rock. He and Taylor Hawkins are talented enough to play Zeppelin, Queen, Rush, etc but they play music that isn't heavy, and has no (or very little) solos. I swear to God, KISS, Zeppelin, and Rush are the only groups that appeal to everyone. KISS was an influence on Punk and Hair Metal. Zeppelin influenced everyone, and Rush, well, NEED I SAY MORE?!!

Not even Hendrix has that quality.

Also, kaleb, Johnny Ramone was notorious for practicing on a Fender Champ. (There's many videos of it, this being my favorite.

And listen to the solo in this. It really shows his ability to stretch his abilities, as far as guitar goes, as far as he can. It also has that raw gain tone that's really not captured anywhere nowadays, and a lot of people say that The Ramones were repetitive and just a joke. I seriously beg to differ. The general feel of each song may have a similar feel/tone/vibe, but if you really listen, you'll find something amazing. I've been listening to them for literally all of my life, and have listened to each album individually and in order to listen to the evolution of his playing. Anyone who hasn't yet should try it.

Q: isn't "screamo" just a modern form of punk?

A: i think it is.

I disagree. I hear a lot more metal than punk. Maybe some post hardcore thrown in, but definitely metal with those mid scooped Mess-of-Booger amps and Ibanez guitars.

This is one of my least favorite genres of rock. I occasionally hear one or two at our rehearsal space and they are always unnecessarily loud. If you're going to be loud, be loud for a reason; not just because you have a 100 watt head through a 4x12.

I swear to God, KISS, Zeppelin, and Rush are the only groups that appeal to everyone. KISS was an influence on Punk and Hair Metal. Zeppelin influenced everyone, and Rush, well, NEED I SAY MORE?!!

Youd be wrong then... I and many people I know think Kiss are s**t they are nothing but a gimmick.. they have like two maybe three songs that I think are ok.. but thats all I think.. and even though I love Led Zep I know many rockers who think they are boring..

And to be honest your posts are becoming really boring all you do is go on about Kiss and Rush and how amazing they are and bash anyone else who doesnt agree with you (what was your one the other day about people who like slash, your assumptions are generally totally wrong).

There are thousands of bands out there man, maybe you should take some of your own advice and stop being so narrow minded.

Youd be wrong then... I and many people I know think Kiss are s**t they are nothing but a gimmick.. they have like two maybe threee songs that I think are ok.. but thats all I think.. and even though I love Led Zep I know many rockers who think they are boring..

Couldn't agree more, except for the two or three songs part, I'd be hard pressed to find one I could sit through. To say Kiss was an influence on punk is laughable, and seems to indicate to me a confusion about what punk actually is.

I just couldn't hold that in, I'm so tired of Kiss being brought up as an example of what a good band is... [rolleyes]

Couldn't agree more, except for the two or three songs part, I'd be hard pressed to find one I could sit through. To say Kiss was an influence on punk is laughable, and seems to indicate to me a confusion about what punk actually is.

I just couldn't hold that in, I'm so tired of Kiss being brought up as an example of what a good band is... [rolleyes]

Even "being" a KISS fan,i get tired of hearing about them in every single thread,they had thier day,those days are over,let it go for the love of all things sacred.Must they continously be brought up and compared to every fashion of music? Can others have the freedom of speaking about music w/out the mention of KISS everytime someone takes a breath? Seriously

Youd be wrong then... I and many people I know think Kiss are s**t they are nothing but a gimmick.. they have like two maybe three songs that I think are ok.. but thats all I think.. and even though I love Led Zep I know many rockers who think they are boring..

And to be honest your posts are becoming really boring all you do is go on about Kiss and Rush and how amazing they are and bash anyone else who doesnt agree with you (what was your one the other day about people who like slash, your assumptions are generally totally wrong).

There are thousands of bands out there man, maybe you should take some of your own advice and stop being so narrow minded.

I'm sure that if I was talking about the general musician's public (so to speak) I wouldn't have made an answer at all.

I was talking about the music that followed them. Many, many bands speak great things about Rush, from progressive rockers that were made possible because of them (like Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy specificly, who idolizes Peart), to people like Taylor Hawkins from Foo Fighters, and even Van Halen, who took some things from the song Xanadu and incorporated them into a song of there's titled Pleasure Dome (from the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album. One of the best Hagar-era tunes IMHO). The Beyond The Lighted Stage documentary shows it all.

As far as KISS goes, saying they appeal to everyone was an overstatement on my part. They had some influence on two different sides of rock music that came after them, for example hair metal (who else things that Motley Crue is an easy comparison? Even Mick Mars's original ad used the words "extra-terrestrial". And Tommy Lee always cited Peter as an influence.), and the punk side of things. Even Kurt Cobain had some KISS influence. For God's sake they even recorded a cover of Do You Love Me?. And Dave Grohl did a cover (by himself) of a song from Ace's 78' solo album called Ozone (funny lyrics!). The grungers and hair metalers both gave them credit. I don't even think Van Halen can say that. You don't hear too many punk lovers lauding about the first time they heard Eruption....

Zeppelin usually comes up when talking about mass-influence. I also should have mentioned The Beatles and The Stones.

I wasn't talking about people that like Slash, which would have been really rude of me if I had done that. I was talking about the teen GH (Guitar Hero) wannabee kids that think Slash is God. If I offended you (I know you love Slash), then I'm terribly sorry.

I am not narrow minded. I listen to a lot of bands. For example, Y&T, Mr. Big (anything Paul Gilbert or Billy Sheehan related.), Steve Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson, The Drills (Great band. CHECK THEM OUT!), Joe Bonamassa, Yngwie (especially old-school Yngwie!!!), Ratt, Pearl Jam (the first couple records), AIC, Deep Purple, Ten Years After, and that's only the beginning, my friend. Oh, and one of the best blues/rock bands of all time, Savoy Brown.

And please, work on using proper punctuation. Yes, I WENT THERE!!!!

Hmmn, most contemporary rock guitar players of the 80s and first half of the 90s (Slash, Snake Sabo of Skid Row, Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, Mike McCready from Pearl Jam, Scott Ian from Anthrax, Dave Mustaine, etc) all cited KISS and Ace as influences. There is a video floating around Youtube of Slash jamming the song Cold Gin with Ace and his band at the Viper Room in LA.

And they worked real hard to make it, even if you absolutely cannot stand KISS and cringe every time you hear them, you gotta give them that. They weren't just an overnight success.

You don't have to like them but to give a full opinion of any band you have to give them a chance, and try to listen to more than just the main hits, like Rock And Roll All Night for example. Listen to the hidden jems on Hotter Than Hell and Dressed To Kill, you might like some of them. You never know. I gave Rush a chance and I'm sure glad I did. I gave Nirvana a chance, as I listened to them for a while, and I don't care for them, as some of you may know, but I gave them a chance. And give any of Ace's solo works a try, or some other, post 70s KISS records like Creatures Of The Night and Lick It Up. Those two had some pretty heavy tunes. For example, EVOL and I have disagreed in the past about our opinions of music (the grunge thread!), but I could take them easy, because I knew he gave all the bands and music he doesn't care for a chance before he decided that he didn't care much for them. Play the music field, you'll be much more educated.

And the punk bands grouped KISS with Alice Cooper and the Dolls, which were influences on them as well. The Ramones had nice things to say about them.

And in my eyes, KISS isn't the perfect band with the perfect members. They've made just as many mistakes, both musically and personally, as good moves. To me, Rush is the perfect band, given their talent, longevity, and the fact that Alex, Geddy, and Neil don't have egos at all. There is no drama involved with them. Just positive things. But that's just my opinion. A lot of people disagree with me, and that's okay. But, for the record, I've turned people onto Rush whom used to despise them. And I never had to give KISS a chance, because I grew up with them (and ACE!) and their music was always around, just like The Beatles. I've loved The Beatles my whole life. When I hear the KISS song Do You Love Me?, it brings back good childhood memories. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Archived