Gibson Brands Forums

isn't "screamo" just a modern form of punk?

S t e v e

Not realy, punk was supposed to be about attitude...punksters ran with it and messed it up but original punk was about tude an irony would have it just like anything else, they all end up looking the same trying to show how differant they were...kinda like how teenagers invented cool. [rolleyes]

But really, all screamo seems to be is a bunch of whiny teens with drop tuned ESP/LTD/or BC Rich guitars, EMGs, angrily tight jeans (nothing wrong with tightness, but not angry, ball-to-ovary-conversion tight) and even more meaningless lyrics. Basically, if every screamo band broke up, actual artists would have a chance to make it.

But really, all screamo seems to be is a bunch of whiny teens with drop tuned ESP/LTD/or BC Rich guitars, EMGs, angrily tight jeans (nothing wrong with tightness, but not angry, ball-to-ovary-conversion tight) and even more meaningless lyrics. Basically, if every screamo band broke up, actual artists would have a chance to make it.

never mock a mans dream...ever...never mock his dream, these people are doing what they love in life and thats all that matters, music is music and we all share that feeling...play and be happy in your life, but don't mock others...just dont. [mellow]

never mock a mans dream...ever...never mock his dream, these people are doing what they love in life and thats all that matters, music is music and we all share that feeling...play and be happy in your life, but don't mock others...just dont. [mellow]

I try not to. But when you go to a school where all you're exposed to for 8 hours a day is this, you get tired of it. I'm just sick of seeing it and hearing it blasted through iPod speakers all day.

These kids are doing it for beaver and money, not for music.

Yeah Steve I hate to break it to you but this is something that is simply not from your generation and you will never truly understand it. I think dem00n and I probably have a lot more credibility on the subject..

whatever their motive, i like the music these bands make...that's all that matters...right?

whatever their motive, i like the music these bands make...that's all that matters...right?

Very true, if you like it, then that is all that matters . [thumbup] That being said, to the original question I don't think it's the same as punk but I guess punk has had a major influence on it tho.

Yeah Steve I hate to break it to you but this is something that is simply not from your generation and you will never truly understand it. I think dem00n and I probably have a lot more credibility on the subject..

+ 1

Listening to a mockery of music itself is stooping to my level.

gf n00b

Bud, you need to cool it with the attitude. First off, the word you used in your first post (it began with an f, but I am loath to repeat it) is never acceptable. It's prohibited for a reason, it is a derogatory term used completely incorrectly (don't get into the history of the word, we all know that by now). In short, cut it out, that sort of profanity is prohibited for a reason.

Secondly, that sort of arrogant elitism is a big part of the reason I dropped out of activity here for a long while. I do not want such an intolerant, and ignorant environment promoted here. I think I can safely say we try to promote a friendly, accepting, and helpful environment here, and that sort of invective is exactly what I try to diffuse.

You have every right to your opinion, but you seriously need to learn to word it respectfully. If you don't... I fear your tenure here might be cut short. This is not your playground, this is a forum of people who for the most part are of an age exceeding either of ours. I don't want you to think I'm hating on you, I'm not, I merely find some of your posts particularly distasteful.

Now, on topic... I'd place screamo more in the metal category Steve. I'd say punk and the aforementioned are a far cry from each other, though I can see a slight similarity. Scremo itself isn't quite my thing! Admittedly I might be more apt to name it a derivative of punk if I was fond of it at all, considering my Clash (not exclusively Clash of course :P) fandom... Perhaps if I was a more avid listener I could make more musical connections between the two.

These kids are doing it for beaver and money, not for music.

also, you can have beaver and money without having to spend 3 hrs a day for 5 yrs mastering guitar...or maybe i'm just a lucky rich sex god [lol]

Some say that punk was just a bunch of profoundly ugly guys with limeted talent trying to get laid. Clearly the deep meaningful lyrics prove otherwise.

"Rock N Roll High School"

Well I don't care about history

Rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school

'Cause that's not where I wanna be

I just wanna have some kicks

I just wanna get some chicks

Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school

Well the girls out there knock me out, you know

Cruisin' around in my GTO

I hate the teachers and the principal

Don't wanna be taught to be no fool

Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school

Fun fun rock'n'roll high school

Fun fun, oh baby

No, screamo is a bunch of faggots thinking they're original and that their music is good.

Punk is a bunch of faggots doing the wrong things the right way.

Next question.

(for the record, I'm a huge punk fan. I considered this thread highly disrespectful. my whole reason for the "******" overdose is because I have to meet my daily quota for use of the word)

LOL Buxom, what is it w/ the younger generation losin thier mind over someone else's music taste or opinions? At the end of the day,there will be music played of every genre by numerous age groups,some laid back,some screaming till thier jugulars pop out thier necks,there is no wrong music,just the people that criticize others taste or lack thereof because others dont think like they do.As ive told you before,i personally cuss like a sailor in RL,but there is no place for that here,i thought the metallica/beatles convo was a perfect example?????? [scared]

I think you're right, and it's a brilliant observation.

However, as my kids have all found out, you cannot "freak the father" with your musical interests, for he will accept your music, find examples that he likes, and share them right back [biggrin] .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7dG_m3MsI&ob=av3n

Bud, you need to cool it with the attitude.

14 is such an angst filled year, DAS. Just remember that the best way to deal with children throwing tantrums is to deny them the attention they are craving... negative or otherwise.

Archived